The diversity of ele

Just wanted to once again showcase how diverse ele shaman is when it comes to specs. I will use some basic sims just to give you an idea of how I believe ele is a very fluid spec with options to cater to different playstyles. One of the many complaints by so shamans is that X or y is required to succeed when it isnt.

Of note sims are being used here to prove a point in variance and are not meant to be a oh look at the pretty numbers. More complex sims like gear compare or talent compare would give you better numbers.

The first build is centered around LvB and IP/NH azerite traits.
450 ilvl

Quick Sim
57115 dps
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/i8KDEWxzcUADKZjM9z3qNq

Stat weights
Versatility 6.50
Critical Strike 5.63
Haste 5.27
Mastery 3.40
Intellect 3.08

• 1 point of Versatility will increase your DPS by 6.50

Talent compare
Swapping to TM would be a 757 dps increase if I could optimize its use
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/tEhpgFbENLezR6wd7uwZNs

Next is a SE/PE build focused around EotE azerite trait
452 ilvl

Quick Sim
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/oUtQwFrNLP6Gy923D4AcKd

Stat weights
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/dNTJfNS5p2KeQ2miVZbYnS

Critical Strike 7.02
Versatility 6.72
Haste 5.92
Intellect 3.49
Mastery 2.87

• 1 point of Critical Strike will increase your DPS by 7.02

Talent compare
Running top build
https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/jtRnQU4LgK2GgZD2t14asH

So as you can see there are different options and choices to make ele fit the playstyle that you like. Just remember to sim your gear often.

I hope this has helped shine some light on simming and gearing for ele shaman.

3 Likes

The spec is in a fantastic spot. It’s lacking a couple of things but I’m loving it right now!

Wouldn’t your last sim be higher with level 3 worldvein?

edit: ah eoe and no igp nvm then

1 Like

I just wanna play surge of power but yea

And any eles good at n’zoth im 464 ilvl and hover at 40k dps lol i suck at that fight like

My traits are currently bad. Hoping to get lucky today.

But one area I’m struggling is in, that I’m not sure either of those setups addresses is dungeons where there’s one or 2 things to fight. Not bosses. But those spaces in dungeons where there’s not a lot on screen. My dps is total garbage in those phases outside of Cooldowns. And even with at least one Cooldown it still rarely hits 30k+.

So because of sections like that or mini boss pulls through the void, I just feel super lackluster for 1/3 to 1/2 of the dungeon where my teammates don’t seem to be as affected.

I like to have main Cooldowns up for big pulls and boss fights, but anything outside of that window feels pretty slow.

Thoughts?

Looking at your gear/azerite/essences you are a little all over the place.

I would take some time and run your character through raidbots gear compare. Download the app. Copy the ingame window into the website window. Open 10 or so duplicate tabs and just run through all your gear/traits/essences/talents to see what would yield you the best results.

Personally I am not a fan of memebeam. It is a huge crutch for a lot of players and classes to boost their overall dungeon dmg so they can perform subpar when its not up.

If you are set on running it then I would go with a stronger ST build.

For example my first build is very ST oriented. It excels at 1-3 targets. Only thing that usually beats me is combat rogue because BF. But it has a ton of small CDs to cover all the little things. CLF, Fire Ele, SK, IF are all small CDs <3 min.

This means I can mix n match or rotate and always have CDs ready for pulls. It is also a beast on ST. It is also more forgiving for harder affixes that require you to throttle dps.

So when most players are pulling 50-70k on large pulls (80% meme beam) I am.pulling 40-50 k with just sk/EQ. However they have zero CD for the next pull but I still have Fire Ele, CLF, IF. Plus when they are only pulling 40k on bosses and I’m pulling 70-80k.

If you want to run a SE/PE build I feel like you need to go all in for it to really shine. This means you need to have a Visions major and some EotE azerite traits. What make SE/PE great for dungeons is having the max uptime of SE.

Once again sim your gear with those azerite and essences tonmake sure you have the right combo. Not all essences are equal when you change talents gear.

SE/PE is still very strong ST though it falls behind in 2-4 targets (unless they live long enough to take advantage of EQ) and starts to shine 5+.

Sorry for the long post just a lot of potential info.

1 Like

Thx, and yeah I’m aware of the issues you said with focusing iris. I tried Worldvein last night as a major, and it felt ok. I don’t have condensed. New character.

I tried visions as a major, but it felt awful with few procs over a dungeon. And it’s also clunky with swing your guy pop out, waiting for his call lightning. Then hitting eye of the storm in that shorter window.

I had one echo of the elements trait, it it was good single target.

And yes I sim all the time. Always looking for the best combo. But unless you’re looking at a single target fight, it’s not the greatest accuracy, I find.

It’s hard to not try and build towards that huge aoe damage with for instance a Storm elemental and blood of the enemy build. But I just don’t feel like the in between carries it’s weight.

However, whenever I simulate anything other than primal Storm elemental, it’s a big loss both single and aoe, so it’s hard to test other options.

In practice I can spike 120k and maintain 80k on 4 targets. But single target it’s like spike 55 and end a few minutes at 40.

Part of my frustration is that it’s a new toon and behind with essences. I’ll keep Simming and plugging away.

Thx for listening.

BotE is a very solid dungeon choice as well. I ran the mess out of it and really enjoy it. I have a couple pieces with blightborne and a Tectonic Thunder. Coupled with BotE and Aftershock when you get runs of procs the dmg is just mindboggling.

Shaman is very fun and challenging to play. Though it has several nuisances that take time to learn and get really good at.

One of these is the flow or rhythm of each build. Each is different and takes time to master or figure out.

1 Like

someone help me with n zoth lol

I havent killed the boss though I have had many attempts. There is so much movement in this fight I went back to an IP build with MotE and IF. It was my best dmg. That is about all the help I can give. I have always stayed up on phase 2 and none of the groups have made it past going down twice. Tanks always seem to die for some reason.

I would love the CDR corruptions, run surge and just funnel, i have 2 480 lava shocks now

edit:

@tectonic thunders, earthquake becomes viable for single target damage @3 it surpasses earth shock i read.

Do u think stacking lava shock with 2 tecs would be crazy earthquaking at sub 20 stacks if theres nothing to funnel?

I’ve definitely found the Primal Storm ele build to be strong this tier with the VoP buff. Also, interestingly, Unlimited Power is my top choice for that row.

Still can’t get a Surge of Power build to be competitive though.

It does, or at least becomes equal. However, you run the risk of the tank pulling your target out of the area of effect.

It could be a viable option on fights with heavy cleave damage/AoE. However, on single target you’re sacrificing three single target traits to run it, which is huge.

I’ve only killed nzoth on normal, we are learning him on heroic atm.

I find the SE/PE build works well. Your over all damage will be lower, due to the constant movement phase on adds. But Nzoth ultimatelly matters with boss burn damage, which comes in very set phases. Lines up great with the SE CD.

While I was lower damage over all, I am typically number 1 in Nzoth damage. I just let all the melee get their fluff damage on the synapses, etc.

Anyone know a good mastery build? I’ve gotten it on EVERY single piece of gear in 8.3. I’m not joking. When I put on my highest possible ilevel (465) I have 72% mastery!!! I’ve been wearing lower gear with versatility, but is there a way to make mastery work?

Why is Blizz forcing it down my throat?

Throw on all that mastery gear and do a talent sim. With that much mastery a SoP/UP build may be ok. Would have to sim to be sure. You could also look at a Visions with SE/SoP/UP. Think outside the box.

Thanks! I still feel cursed though :sweat_smile:

Do you truly believe ele is in a good position right now?

Yes. Ele is in a really good place. I am really surprised it hasnt been nerfed a bit in PVE. Not because it needs it but because it is rare for us to be in this position for such a long period of time. What i mean by this is that Ele is typically historically JUST NOW getting good. However we have really been in a really good spot all xpac.

Ele has a lot of things that players really like. The best spec is complex and with depth. Though with recent scaling SE/PE is coming on its own. While it lacks depth it makes up for in planning and very roller coaster play style.

The more you play Ele the exponentially better it plays. Meaning you just cant come in and faceroll and bam you are topping meters. A lot of people have rerolled to ele only to see that it isnt a walk in the park especially when compared to rogue/mage/lock/DH/Ret/Hunter/Warr.

You don’t need to crutch your DPS with gimmicky things to do really great DPS. Certain Corruptions or Essences or both.

So yes Ele is in a really good spot.

1 Like

Where do you get your data? I feel like icy veins aint doing it for me now

Who said anything about Icy Veins. And what is making you feel like shaman doesn’t/isn’t cut(ting) it.