The decline gathering etiquette

As we get deeper into Classic, I’m finding that the general gathering community is getting worse by the day. Maybe my ideas are outdated, maybe it’s just a different generation, I don’t know. But it feels like there is damn near no more etiquette anymore.

We used to have unspoken rules to gathering: if someone is fighting a mob near a mob, wait to see if they go for the node after combat, never snipe mining node taps, etc. Generally the opposite faction was fair game, but never your own.

But these days all of that seems to have gone out the window for the most part. I understand resources are limited. We’re all trying our best to get what we can. But the cutthroat mentality is disappointing. If a Horde tries it, it’s whatever, but when Alliance hunter after hunter try to swoop in and steal a lotus if you fail the first attempt just gets under my skin. Then the occasional one will taunt you after the fact. It’s pathetic. As i told one guy before who did it to before, just because you can do it doesn’t mean you should. Anyways, I kinda want to hear anyone’s thoughts about this.

17 Likes

The friendly people have for the most part burned out, now it’s just cut-throat capitalists that remain to give their life meaning.

12 Likes

Unironically, it’s zoomer culture.

The zoomer snipes.
The millenial waits.
The boomer waits, then sends a /w asking if it’s cool to take the node.

25 Likes

LOL I’ll be sure to continue taking nodes, especially if I see you around :wink:

4 Likes

The zoomer has adapted our capitalist culture to all aspects of life, you either win or you lose, there is no room for anything else.

1 Like

They’re the same people on the highway that pass, only to cut in front of you and turn. Some people just have their heads so far up their own behinds they have no regard for others. Nothing to do except roll your eyes and hope someone pulls their head out one day.

11 Likes

I’ve noticed this too. There was also a conversation in our General chat or something about if this was ok and the general consensus was yes, it is. I won’t take nodes beside fighting horde because it’s not my style. I’ve had them sniped from me before and I don’t say anything and just move on.

The opposite faction is another matter entirely. I you want to wipe the cross faction competition off the map that’s up to you and there are really no ethics involved on a PVP server IMO.

1 Like

I see this all the time. People will drive in the wrong lane and then at the last possible second pull in front of you so they can turn.

5 Likes

True Story, though. Back in Cata, I was farming Herbs in Twilight Highlands. I was flying, saw an Herb, swooped down to pick it and got it. I was a Druid and easy to pick Flowers, in Bird Form. I noticed this grounded Paladin just staring at me. Realizing what happened, I apologized to them. I told them, I legit, didn’t see them. We became friends and met IRL.

Something to think about. Legit, the game may not load everything, and we, sometimes, don’t see everything. But, if you’re going to make assumptions about strangers without thinking from their perspective, I have no desire to be nice to you and will continue to upset you :innocent:

4 Likes

Right but we’re not talking about those who would stop if they saw them or apologize or sometimes even give what the node put out, we’re talking those who do it on purpose and do not care, but being a rogue with engineering this is never an issue for me.

2 Likes

You either make the gold, or someone else does, and you will never get anything for letting other people make gold.

Whelp, my server sounds pretty good. In fact, I’ve had multiple strangers decline to even roll for chests in areas where were both clearing mobs, just letting me take it.

However, I remember this happening frequently back in Vanilla / BC days.

1 Like

Perhaps, I would apologize or even give you what the node put out, if I didn’t receieve such nasty whispers calling me names based off of assumptions. Why would I do that?

Who said anything about sending whispers?

I did. I’ve received nasty whispers, before. Ofc, you may not be sending whispers, but you are making assumptions about someone’s intentions.

1 Like

I will occasionally have horde try to tap in on my RTV. My trick is I keep the loot table open and tell them to step on and they can’t do anything but wait. It’s annoying but rarely do they ever get a tap off.

Now what really annoys me is my own faction allowing alliance miners to roam freely when I am CONSTANTLY interrupting their operation. I see the same alliance in ungoro about 2-4 give or take online farming at any hour of the day.

With resources this scarce we should be helping our own faction secure zones. That’s my two cents

How does a faction do this? I’m assuming you’re talking about PvP Servers. I’m curious how it’ll work on a PvE Server. Not saying it can’t happen…just curious on the how.

1 Like

lol i remember this same post when classic started.

i remember ppl complaining about this in vanilla.

stop

1 Like

I disagree entirely. I’ve made a lot of gold from herbing/mining, while at the same time not being a prick. In fact, when you build relations with fellow respectful gatherers, that kindness is repaid.

3 Likes

Sociopaths

8 Likes