The Darkfallen Are Dumb

I don’t mind the Darkfallen customizations too much. I mean, the fact that they exist is not a big issue. That can make sense. What bothers me is how Blizzard went about rolling them out.

With a patch about Forsaken, why not also give Forsaken the Calia/Derek/Nathanos type appearance options? Maybe while Calia was in Maldraxxus, she could have learned fleshcrafting techniques to help the Forsaken. If she brought customizations, she might have been accepted with open arms.

It just seems like foolishness. A quest chain focused on the Forsaken, and the rewards are :

a title every race on both Factions can use that dilutes what being “of Lordaeron” means when Draenei and Vulpera can use it.

And more customizations for Elves.

But again, that is my major problem with how they rolled out. I do not mind that they exist.

At the end of BfA, Velonara says her loyalty is to Quelthalas and the Forsaken. I can take the ball from there when it comes to Void Elves or Night Elves. They could have loyalty to their homeland.

I mean, in WC 3, the Dark Ranger Hero Unit was a neutral Hero, and you would see one at the head of all sort of armies.

11 Likes

I’m okay with it for the most part, but they are pretty meh in my book. I was never a heavy dark ranger fan, I’m more of a Deathguards, RAS, and High Executor type of fan. I started liking dark rangers much later when they became a highly trained elite specialized group. Imagine if the Kor’kron or the 7th Legion had a special physical appearance; now everyone in their moma has that appearance.

Atm no one has out dark rangered the Forsaken, if that makes sense. It should forever be that way.

The only thing that really urks me about them is there is no Sylvanas or Blightcaller. Had they rolled this out during lets say BfA I would have been more excited.

I can definitely see where you’re coming from, it feels like the Lordaeron quests which were intended to be Forsaken focused were a bit cheapened when the reward was the Darkfallen skin which in a lot of ways doesn’t apply to the story they are selling. It would’ve been nice if they could’ve given Forsaken a more ‘human-y’ looking skin like Nathanos, Calia etc. (Similar to straight-backed orcs.) to actually make the reward more applicable to the quest chain. There was little mention of Darkfallen outside Velonara giving you quests, so when that was the reward I was like ‘huh?’

As for ‘coming out of nowhere’, I don’t necessarily agree with. There are plenty of examples of Undead elves throughout lore prior to these ones, the only ones that seemed sort of out of left field to me were Void Elves.

I kind of view Darkfallen Night Elves as a totally separate entity from the Forsaken and their lore in general. We didn’t see much of it on-screen, but I got the impression that a significant number of Night Elves were risen on Darkshore. Night Elves are historically viciously protective of their forests and I’d imagine if they COULD have been there they WOULD have been there which accounts for a lot of them. I think it was a mistake to have some of them stay in Lordaeron, because they shouldn’t really contribute anything to the Forsaken story and we don’t need elf-focused content overshadowing the much needed Forsaken development.

I think giving it to ALL elves (aside from Nightborne) was a fan service move from Blizzard overall, I don’t think they really put much thought into it being for Paladins or Druids. I view it as more of a game limitation (ie: Void Elves being Holy Priests or Lightforged being Shadow Priests) than an actual story implementation. That isn’t to say they won’t add it to the story in the future though.

All in all, I fall into the category of loving the skin mostly because of it’s appearance. I can finally wear red mogs without them looking weird on the traditionally cool-toned Kaldorei colour-scheme and can use my awesome Xal’atath skin.

TLDR; I love the skin but it definitely could’ve been implemented differently/better.

2 Likes

Elves are far more sanitary than a mere human. It’s fact.

1 Like

Neither are the San’layn.

Well, there was also the new BE mount questline in the same patch.

Well now that’s just being petty. There are tons of titles in WoW that don’t make sense on every character type, that still are usable, because that’s just how titles work.

Don’t blame Blizzard for giving you the title. Blame any player you see who puts “of Lordaeron” on their orc shaman.

1 Like

Cope. Until they give red eyes to Dks, I’ll enjoy my sinister undead paladin

6 Likes

Blizzard decided to make the same title available to everyone. So I can fault them.

They make different titles all the time based on Gender or Faction. They decided to make this one universal. And I think that dumped on Forsaken lore and watered down what being “of Lordaeron” even means.

It should have been Forsaken only. But Blizzard decided against that. And I think that was awful.

4 Likes

This is after she decides to side with the Jailor and give him an ‘ocean of souls’.

And raising people into undeath very obviously prevents that from happening. It’s the reason why Bolvar goes all trigger happy with the raisings.

The biggest kicker to me is they pretended SL had been an idea since Edge Of Night. And I’m pretty sure it was barely idea at the start of BFA.

I did hear there was a different version in mind that would have the Maw as a Covenant as well and all 5 would be warring over a new Celestial Order to govern the Shadowlands. Which I believe. As it’s still very strange to me you had to swear fealty to a single Covenant when they are all working together in a close partnership for the same goal.

1 Like

Still mad that the entire premise of the burning of Teldrassil doesn’t even make any sense, because THE MAW WAS SUCKING IN SOULS FROM ALL PARALLEL UNIVERSES IN EXISTENCE, SO THIS “OCEAN” WAS LITERALLY JUST A DROPLET.

8 Likes

You can literally earn the title “of Silvermoon” and put it on your freakin Troll character if you want.

Forsaken are actually getting a 2nd “of [city]” title. Quit being a turd about the fact that it works the way titles do. Everyone does the questline, everyone gets the reward.

1 Like

Yeah but you earn that by becoming exalted and then being the champion for the city in the Argent Tournament.

So, kinda adds up.

2 Likes

A. So what?
B. There are dozens of titles like this. You do the thing, you get the title, you put the title on any character you want.

You :clap: aren’t :clap: special.

Your achievement doesn’t get to work differently than all the others.

3 Likes

See though that’s an achievement I can personally attest to being a, ya know, achievement.

I got the Crusader title so I had to get all the ‘Of City’ titles. Not only do you get exalted but youve to win a gauntlet of mini games.

So it is special. If it was as easy as say doing a quest that’s the only content in a patch, then everyone would have it. But they don’t.

And there are titles that are not like this. Titles that are Faction specific, Gender Specific, and Class Specific.

This title is actually the homeland of a Playable Race on one Faction, available to everyone.

You cant wear the title of Silvermoon on a Night Elf. Blizzard has done Faction locks to titles.

Actually it is this achievement that works differently, since it gives the title “of” a Horde starting zone to the other Faction. All the other "of " Horde locations are Horde only. Same as the Alliance. Faction locking those titles is actually the way it has worked, and this title is the outlier.

2 Likes

I’m still confused why they made Argus the red soul that blue screens the Arbiter.

Having that be Teldrassil would’ve actually given the Burning some narrative purpose beyond shock value. And then we could’ve recovered and restored the soul of Teldrassil.

That would’ve been a better story beat for it’s inevitable regrowth than just some hitherto unmentioned super seed thingy.

5 Likes

They’re called the “Dark RANGER” customizations, get it right. /s “Darkfallen” means any undead elf. It used to be another name for the San’layn, but I think the new Blood Elf quest they added this patch changed that.

And yeah, they make no sense.

1. They should only be hunters

2. They should only let you make a NEW character with those customizations, not let you change your old one.

1 Like

And it was a lame name then to. Forsaken does sound like somebody poked around a thesaurus but it’s pretty iconic now. Power To The Forsaken is a fun phrase.

Darkfallen is - look maybe it’s just me but if I’m keeping it 100 my reaction is;

1 Like

Yeah. Sylvanas has had undead blood elves since the Year of Our Lord Two-Thousand upon Four in the form of banshees.

1 Like

But you can use it on any Horde race, even non-BEs.

I’m not only talking about the “of” achievements. The game has tons of achievements that don’t make sense with every race/class you can put it on.

**** outta here with these demands for special treatment.

1 Like

You earn “of Silvermoon” by getting the exalted status with the blood elves, don’t you?
idr.
If so, the Alliance doesn’t earn exalted with the Forsaken. Infact, the Alliance pretty clearly wants to kill the Forsaken and take Lordaeron back.

5 Likes