The Dark Portal

Asking for a spoiler here. People that don’t want to know should not read.

What happens if you go in it?

I started playing Wow just after TBC launched so I was curious about whether The portal was there or not in this version of the game. When I got a quest to go there at 40, I got my answer. I rode my shiny new mount down the road and saw that it was there, as I recalled, surrounded by demons, presumably from Outland. I was somewhat disappointed at that. I was hoping to find some content that predated anything connected with outland. I tried to ride through the demons and got slaughtered. Having not much coin, I decided to just GY rez and find out later.

So, anyone done it? I’m guessing it’s just empty space or that it may cause a game glitch or something weird.

I think it’s an invisible wall.

2 Likes

In classic, absolutely nothing happens. It’s just… there. You can walk through the portal graphic and nothing will happen or it might be, as Astrius said, an invisible wall. I can’t remember exactly.

Similar to the big portal in the middle of Duskwood, the portal at the entrance to Karazhan (hidden behind a gate), and even the portal in the sewer area of Stormwind (also hidden behind a gate).

2 Likes

I always thought that the dark portal should have been in rubble because canonically it was destroyed at the end of Warcraft 2 when the Alliance won that war.

Should have had to do a quest to rebuild it just before TBC a’la the gates of AQ opening.

1 Like

Been wondering about those too but wasn’t gonna ask :smiley: Guessing there is also the weird cave entrance in south Winterspring that gives an error message because Mount Hyjal is under construction

You got it. It’s believed that it was meant to be a raid instance back in the day but wasn’t used.

I don’t remember if they did anything with it in Cata or it just disappeared.

MT. Hyjal is one of the main zones in CATA and it occupies the corresponding logical space. There is no raid entrance there in the game world where that message was. The Mt. Hyjal raid is accessed in Caverns of Time. It’s glitchy. There are several places you can go out of bounds and get stuck. I’m pretty sure I accidentally found them all when I was farming the pets for a retail achievement. Also, that whole area where those caves are is considered part of Mt Hyjal in that pack but you can get in there before 80 and start farming ore and fish

Edit:I’m pretty sure most of those caves were turned into quest areas for CATA stuff. Some were portals into little mini dungeon type scenerios you could solo. I will have to cross check it when I get a classic toon high enough to explore there

Yeah, I was referring specifically to the portal itself.

I just remember this video from back in the day (video was originally from 2006 hence the potato quality):

I think you’re right about them being turned into questing areas which would mean that the portal itself just vanished, lost to the ages.