The Creation Catalyst is Coming the Week of April 12

Greetings!

The Creation Catalyst will become available to players after scheduled maintenance the week of April 12. To access it, you will travel to the far south area of Zereth Mortis that is the Catalyst Gardens. The Creation Catalyst is on a floating island above the main pool area and can be reached via flying or using a small teleporter right below it.

At a base level, how it works is you input a piece of Season 3 gear and a corresponding tier set piece will be made with a matching item level. The useable items can be Season 3 gear from raids, Mythic+, PvP, World Boss Antros, or items purchased with Sandworn Relics from Rafiq in Pilgrim’s Grace, Zereth Mortis. The applicable slots are helms, shoulders, cloaks, chests, bracers, gloves, belts, legs, and boots. Note that the 2-piece and 4-piece set bonuses will only be on the helms, shoulders, chests, gloves, and legs.

The Creation Catalyst can transform one item per week, but it can store up these charges so that if you miss a week you’ll be able to create two set pieces the following week, and alts or players who come along later in the Season may be able to create an entire set if they have the Flux for it.

The Catalyst will use the Cosmic Flux currency that is earned from a wide variety of activities in the game. The costs for the different item slots are:

• Bracers and Cloaks: 600
  • Belts and Boots: 800
  • Gloves and Shoulders: 1200
  • Chests, Helms, and Legs: 1500

If a character vendored, disenchanted, or destroyed a Season 3 item that you want to use for this system, please visit the World of Warcraft Item Restoration page for assistance.

Some additional details:
Q: When creating tier set items with the Creation Catalyst, what is the item level of the tier piece after the process is complete? Is it the same item level as the base piece given to the Creation Catalyst or are there item level ranges that snap to LFR, Normal, Heroic, and Mythic item levels for tier?
A: The resulting item will have the same item level of the item that you put into the catalyst. It also keeps Mythic/PvP upgrade paths, tertiary stats (leech, speed, etc.), and sockets.

Q: Are tier set items created by the Creation Catalyst upgradeable or do you need to remake the tier with a higher item level base piece?
A: You’ll want to remake it with a higher item level base piece, unless the initial version had an upgrade path from PvP or Mythic+ and you earned currency to allow it to be upgraded in that way. For example, if you convert a non-set 9/12 helm from Mythic+ to a 9/12 tier piece, you will be able to use the Valor currency to upgrade it to a 12/12 tier piece.

Q: What secondary stats (Haste, Versatility, etc.) will be on the items made by the Creation Catalyst?
A: The tier pieces all have specific secondary stats regardless of what item is put into the system, only the tertiary stats (Leech, Speed, etc.), and sockets carry over.

53 Likes

finally!! :sunglasses:

10 Likes

Eh, i feel like sand relic gear being 246 feels bad when literally all the gear in zone is 252 (at 6/6). doesn’t feel good to drop 6 ilvls for tier for the casual not sporting raid dungeon or pvp gear. I’d just like to see the relic gear bumped to 252 OR, allowing us to use the 252 gear in creation catalyst (although it makes the relic gear largely useless then)

I lean toward bumping sand gear because it’s always felt bad, being worse than cypher gear, which is so easy to get (especially post hotfixes a while back that made it more common).

56 Likes

What will the non tier pieces turn into? Items of the same slots from the raid?

What’s the point to other slots turning into tier if we don’t gain the set bonuses by having them?

Maybe i misunderstand what it says, but basically… if i have helm, shoulders and gloves, but i have a perfectly good belt at 278 ilvl.
Will turning that belt grant me the 4 set bonus?

The wording implies that it won’t.

If it won’t… then what’s the point? Just stat balancing?

5 Likes

I guess we now know what the sand relic gear was for. :neutral_face:

The tier bonuses more than make up for the 6 ilvls.

8 Likes

How exactly does this work for the bonuses? Do you just need one of the “core” pieces to trigger the bonus? Possibly 1 per bonus - so a minimum of 2 of the original 5 core slots to get the 4 piece?

What are the stats for the non core slots that are upgradeable to tier?

This sounds like it could be a really fun system that allows for more stat options/combinations.

I wonder if there could be a way to swap it back for a nominal fee in needed?

the whole point of this thing is to remove the “bad luck” or in the case of pvp players, actually play the game. So your saying even with the catch up its still at max for the worst luck players another month before being able to even play the game at an optimal level? (4 set)

I feel like there should be no restriction of one per week or at the very least make it two items per week so its not even more of a wait, its been more than bad enough as it is right now. Waiting, time gating, waiting… nobody wants to do that. When some of these tier sets make or break a class or spec you enjoy in x content it really shocks and devalues putting any time into actually playing which entirely the point of a game you pay for (holy paladin necro pvp) just saying.

11 Likes

Sweet, I’ll finally be able to have tier. It definitely isn’t dropping anywhere for me.

5 Likes

Shamans and Hunters weep while Plate and Cloth wearers rejoice and even Leather gets one slot for Tier bonuses.

4 Likes

Why the heck are you expecting world content players to farm sandworn relics now to buy sandworn gear and then make tier gear. We upgraded the cypher system and have 252 gear and now we are supposed to farm sandworn relics to buy sandworn gear at ilvl 246 that was basically useless to have in the first place?

Upgrading that system and collecting the 252 gear took as much time if not more than people getting PvP gear…

10 Likes

Why is it only one piece of gear per week? It’s been time-gated to hell and back already. This is such a poor decision, let us play the game!

32 Likes

Agreed, why are we time-gating this?

12 Likes

If you’re rolling around in cypher gear you probably aren’t that concerned to get tier besides for the mog

Next expansion domain certificate expires near end of April 2023. So even with an early March launch (cause face it 10.0 ain’t coming soon), likely figure that many weeks (plus obvious withheld craft tunings later on in 9.2.5) will be sufficient for people to get tier sets multiple times over.

everyone can use more power - just because someone is casual doesn’t mean they don’t like killing things faster.

10 Likes

If my world boss groups are of any simple indication, people not withholding their usage of their class covenant ability till 10.0, would cover any dps loss.

1 Like

They could do something else with those relics - like make them account wide and people can buy that sandworn gear for alts. I do agree with you though it doesn’t feel good to have to go down levels to make tier gear.

I think people have put in enough time leveling up that cypher system and collecting the 252 gear that they should be able to be used in this system as well.

3 Likes