The company that engaged in sexual harassment, unequal pay, and retaliation wants you to sign a social contract

u typed this on a cell phone

cell phone manufacturers are 1 billion times worse in literally every way

u happily support samsung/apple

also irony

I’d like to think that Blizz have made massive changes to their workplace environment to ensure the culture of harassment, discrimination and abuse has ended and never happens again.

In doing so they will also be looking at the behaviour and actions of players, and cleaning up their moderation of that, also, because customers reflect the company.

I am a lot happier to see Blizz start to take player toxicity seriously if it’s an indication of a fairer, more open and honest step forward in their company. :seedling:

I agree that it’s a little silly. One thing I would have done differently is allowed people to keep playing without signing the contract, on the condition that their chat is turned off.

If only they made their employees sign it everyday before work.

To this day my biggest regret in WoW is being insufferable and mean to other players when they would do a mechanic wrong or other internet disuptes that never meant anything. I try to make up for it every time I group now by being as corteous, friendly, and helpful as I can.

My bnet friendlist has become crammed because of it, but its nice to see your acts of kindness and patience reciporcate and create these groups where people are shocked that there are players in WoW who aren’t filled with salt and venom

1 Like

pretty sussy imho fampai

OP I hope you read the fine print before you clicked ok.

It’s your contractually-obligated turn in the “Cosby Suite” on the 14th.

Good luck.

People are still complaining about this?

Yes.

If Blizzard probably just explained why they chose to use specifically a ‘social contract’ as opposed to an acknowledgement of the ToS/EULA, it would probably end the discussion.

My question is “why a ‘social contract’ now?”

1 Like

Probably because in addition to restating their terms of service, they are asking players to more or less “play nice” with one another. Like not helping a fellow player with a quest isn’t a violation of the ToS but it would be a nice thing to help them. That’s where the social part is. It’s about trying to cultivate a more positive community which is long overdue.

FF14 does this and is applauded for it but the minute blizzard tries it and we got a bunch of people comparing them to oppressive governments.

The community has had a deservedly bad reputation for quite a while and I don’t mind if blizzard finally decided to try and clean it up after all this time. Better late than never.

1 Like

Can I have your stuff?

Probably not. Imagine the ‘social contract’ prompt is preventing him from accessing his characters like others.

1 Like

im not social anyway i dont talk to anyone except guild.

1 Like

There is … sorta. It is the forum code of conduct that everyone was supposed to read before posting.

Me, too. I speak in guild sometimes. I also will announce when nameds pop in ZM if no one else has or no one is coming to help. Other than that, I tend to stay quiet and just play the game.

If they can’t agree to be a nice person in game, then they would even be breaking the original code of conduct that they agreed to before even starting to play WoW. It’s no different from the original, just don’t be a jerk and you’re good. If someone has been playing a while and hasn’t been warned, suspended or banned, then they should just keep on the same.

There’s never a need to be a jerk in any game.

2 Likes

Careful, they could interpret the contract as that being undesirable behavior.

You must communicate and have fun, you must help players in chat, you must heal someone who over pulled out in the world.

“Fun” is now mandatory

if all your chat is turned off they can ban you.

1 Like

Reminds me of that twilight zone episode: “It’s a good life”

[Anthony Fremont] No kids came over to play with me today, not a single one, and I wanted someone to play with!

[Mr. Fremont] Well, Anthony, you remember the last time some kids came over to play. The little Fredricks boy and his sister.

[Anthony Fremont] I had a real good time.

[Mr. Fremont] Oh, sure you did, you had a real good time, and it’s good that you had a good time, it’s real good. It’s, uh, just that…

[Anthony Fremont] Just that what?

[Mr. Fremont] Well, Anthony, you, uh, you wished them away into the cornfield. Their mommy and daddy were real upset.

I guess your point is … hypocrisy?

Baby, everyone is a hypocrite. Nothing is black and white. People are complicated. Methinks that you are a wee bit naive.

Do as they say, not as they do.