The burning of Teldrassil is not the holocaust

It’s America fire bombing Japan,
A massive attack on civilian targets to force a surrender.
A war crime on earth; maybe some post-war analysts have called the raid war crime due to the targeting of civilian infrastructure and the ensuing mass loss of civilian life, but no-person war tried/convicted

The thing is we don’t know Azeroth rules of conflict, if the Horde, Alliance, Panderian, and other third parties hashed of rules we don’t know them. Geneva is a city in Switzerland.

8 Likes

What was the point of this thread? Geez, do people have that much free time on their hands?

24 Likes

Here we go again…

The aggrieving party mayhap sees it differently. As you say.

On this - I can agree.

3 Likes

Pretty sure there was a lot more to the USA Bombing Japan then just “Didn’t want war”. Namely an entire theater of warfare and a desire to show their strength to the USSR.
In fact he bombing was commenced mostly because it was deemed more humanitarian then a Land Invasion which would kill a ton of people on both sides, and even then it wasn’t a Humanitarian act, just one made on the argument that the japanese people would never surrender without a considerable show of force, and a desire to get them to Surrender to the USA and not Soviet Union

There is also a Big Difference between Imperial Japan and Darnassus, namely the fact the Night Elves didn’t commit some of the worst warcrimes in human history such as "###ing an Entire City to Death

25 Likes

/looks at… almost every surface area of the nascent globe-proxy-child-thing.

Oh no she dint

Nelves have done alot of bad to the nascent broad-planet.

Lest we forget the Well and Sargeras…

Please stop pointlessly equating these real life tragedies to fictional events, especially in such a poorly constructed thread like this.

39 Likes

Sorry, I’m just kinda pissed about the entire argument “The USA did it to Imperial Japan” argument, completely ignoring the vast differences between a preemptive military strike and the conclusion of one of the biggest naval wars in human history. I shouldn’t have brought up Nanking, that was immature of me. I also don’t think the USA was Justified in nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki, just know why it was done.

8 Likes

Justified? The attack on Pearl Harbor required an unconditional surrender.

That is why the American’s allowed it to occur with full knowledge.

This thread is going places. I don’t know where, but it’s going.

6 Likes

Oh, I was talking to OP.

2 Likes

Please stop pointlessly equating these real life tragedies to fictional events, especially in such a poorly constructed thread like this.

I didn’t start this fire, in every post about the conflict the holocaust comes up, and it’s just not a well thought out comparison

apples to asphalt

4 Likes

Idk. I tried to 'tro some logs to keep the thread fire warm.

Wat

10 chars

it like comparing apples to asphalt, ie. things that are not related

1 Like

If you see two guys kicking the hell out of a dog, that should not mean you should go and kick it too.

If you see multiple people making tasteless real life comparisons to fictional events, that should not mean you should make them too.

Bad excuse.

I truly cannot put into words how little regard I have for you.

18 Likes

If I see two people kicking a dog I would stop them
If I see people kicking dogs on every street I need to effect change
I cannot run around getting beat up by animal abusers all day.

I have a real issue with people hurting dogs, but I don’t have an actual issue with people using real life to compare to fantasy. That’s the nature of story telling.
My problem is people using a bad simile when their is a better one.

The two guys beating up dogs thing is also a bad comparison.

3 Likes

(Fact): Another difference between the fictional act of the Burning of Teldrassil, and the real tragedy of the use of nuclear weapons to end World War II, is that the US had airplanes fly over a number of cities in Japan (including the two that would be bombed). These planes dropped a massive amount of papers written in multiple languages to reach as many people as possible. They warned of the coming attack, urged the people in the cities to flee for their safety, and also to urge their leaders to surrender. By contrast, Sylvanas gave no warning, not even to her own forces.

11 Likes

7 Likes

4 Likes

I think an important distinction is to be made between the burning of Teldrassil and the attack on Autobot City during the 1986 Transformers movie. I hear people compare the two constantly. All the time. In my head. It has reached the point that I feel I need to make a few distinctions.

Granted, both are a shocking and tragic opening to their respective story arcs, but we must be aware of important differences when comparing the two.

For example, the attack on Autobot City was achieved through complete surprise, by the hijacking of an Autobot shuttle (and the immediate and tragic deaths of Brawn, Prowl, Ratchet, and Ironhide. Such foolish heroics indeed!)

Conversely, the burning of Teldrassil was preceded by a large scale assault through Ashenvale, which was resisted, despite the unexpected scale of it.

In the attack on Autobot City, the Decepticons are largely unstoppable, until the arrival of Optimus Prime, who single-handedly tears through the Decepticons before his duel with Megatron. During this duel, Optimus seems perfectly capable of winning, until his own subordinate, Hotrod, tries to intervene on his behalf, resulting in Megatron being able to mortally wound him.

In the Burning of Teldrassil, Malfurion arrives and blunts the Horde attack, before his duel with Sylvanas. Granted, much like Optimus, Malfurion seems perfectly capable of winning this fight, until the intervention of Saurfang.

The key difference here is, Saurfang is Sylvanas’s subordinate, not Malfurion’s, which is precisely the opposite arrangement from the Transformers clash! The situation is subtly but critically different!

While I understand the very human drive to draw analogies between events, to find understanding in similarities, we have to keep in mind that perceptions regarding these events can vary far more widely than one might imagine. As a result, at times?

This is bad comedy.

13 Likes