The Beatles are overrated

You completely missed my point.

Your point is dumb. Itā€™s like saying you canā€™t credit the Ford Model T for influencing the widespread development of affordable automobiles because someone before invented the internal combustion engine or the wheel.

80s music sucks? Early 90s was great? Ewwwwwā€¦you have that completely backwards. 90s music was depressing, sarcastic and self-loathing. 80s music was largely energetic, exploratory and interesting.

And whatā€™s the rage now? Synthwave. Based on 80s music.

Ehhh thatā€™s mostly Nirvana, which is the other reason I couldnā€™t stand them.

k

/10chars

I donā€™t like melancholic music or songs with an overwhelmingly sad theme, I think grunge is the worst when expressing those elements.

Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Fats Domino

Who are those people?

itā€™s true and you should say it!

Eh, appreciation of music is subjective so I have all due respect for those that think the Beatles are overrated. You do you. Iā€™d only hope - but certainly not insist - that the decision was made after giving their music (all phases) a fair chance. In other words, listen to their albums at least once. Itā€™d be disappointing for people to ā€œrateā€ them as this or that without giving them a chance at all.

I mean, like, if youā€™ve only heard Meet the Beatles (ā€œI Wanna Hold Your Hand,ā€ ā€œI Saw Her Standing Thereā€, etc.) itā€™s a completely different style, feel, sound - hell, even a completely different genre than something like Magical Mystery Tour or Sgt. Pepperā€™s, which are in turn different from the styles and sounds on late albums like Abbey Road or Let it Be.

Anyway, regarding artists that are overrated, I feel that way about Elvis. And I have given everything he ever recorded a chance to ā€œdo that thingā€ in my head where I like something Iā€™m listening to. Yet, the rest of the world considers him - well, at least early him - music royalty.

I could list out all the ā€œpopular, influentialā€ artists I think are overrated, but to what end? We like what we like. In my life (no pun intended), the Beatles were huge. Though their bubblegum pop is alright and catchy, Iā€™ll take their psychedelic and rock phases over that any day of the week. (Eight days a week?)

I think Abbey Road is one of the best rock albums ever recorded.

2 Likes

No doubt. There were about two years during the 90ā€™s that the only good music was Red Hot Chili Peppersā€¦and they suck.

1 Like

Although I do dig some grunge and pop from the 90s, for me that was the time during which electronic music exploded, big beat was king, and breakbeat hardcore gave way to jungle, which was in turn giving way to drum and bass. Desert dance parties were all the rage. Groups like Underworld were changing the way people looked at progressive house music.

West coast rap was blowing up something fierce. On the other coast, ATCQ was still on fire.

Nine Inch Nails came out of the underground into the mainstream.

The 90s were about much more than just grunge. Or, what was that from someone else earlier? ā€œDepressing, sarcastic and self-loathing,ā€? Grunge was - sure. Thatā€™s the point of that genre. But try applying those labels to 90s mega-giants like Fatboy Slim and the Chemical Brothers. The whole idea of that kind of music, which had its heyday in the 90s, is to make you feel good. :sunglasses:

Letā€™s not forget the 80s saw goth and emo music come to popularity. Robert Smith or Peter Murphy moaning and groaning over lost love, or Morrissey lamenting over animal rights or Irish politics - most of what the Smiths or Bauhaus or the Cure released could certainly be classed as self-loathing and depressing. And they had number ones, all of 'em.

1 Like

I think itā€™s important to keep in mind that certain decadeā€™s music (i.e. the 90s) is usually referencing stuff on heavy rotation. There was a lot of really interesting music being made that didnā€™t get big air time. 90s had some awesome prog stuff in the form of early Spockā€™s Beard and Flower Kings, as well as fusion stuff by Chic Corea, Tony MacAlpine, Virgil Donati, etc.

Then you had postminimalism from the late 70s on, which was a form of classical music :

1 Like