The Art of Selling Pets

I’m curious to see what some other people think about selling certain pets.

My philosophy going into SL, is that when I got pets, I would sell them early on, when they were still expensive and then buy them later, once the price went down.

I’ve had reasonable success in this regard. I sold the Iridescent ooze for around 30k, not once, but twice. It was going on AH for around 100k at the time (no idea if it was selling), which is of course ridiculous, because the pet takes about 2 minutes work to get.

I also sold Dal for around 80k before the bug fix. It’s possible I could have gotten a higher price, I don’t know. I’m not trying to maximize my profits here, because I think that is basically scamming (80k is already a scam, but someone paid it so whatever…).

Recently I acquired Dodger, a Vulpin pet from Ardenweald, who takes about 20-30 minutes of running around the zone to get. The AH listing was for close to 1 million gold… which is utterly ridiculous. I posted my price at 300k, which is still absurd, but let’s see what happens.

The thing is… I have no idea how to balance these things. Some of these pets you can acquire for very small amounts of effort and then sell for 100k+. I want to make a fair sized profit, but I don’t want to sell these fairly easy to acquire pets at the maximum amount someone might pay, because that is just scamming.

So I’m interested to hear some people’s thoughts about finding the right balance to make a profit without going full scam artist, and even to determine the correct price for some of these more obscure pets.

Thoughts appreciated, thanks.

The server you are on makes a big difference. If you are on a high pop server, prices are going to naturally trend down as players have seemed compelled to undercut. On low pop servers, you have more options.

One persons “easy to acquire” is anothers PITA. Dodger took me over a week to get. I really don’t have time to run around for 30 minutes to get a pet. I wasn’t in a hurry, but my covenant is Night Fae, so I spend a lot of time in Ardenweald. Other players may not spend much time there.

Pets cost 1 silver to list. I’m not hurting for money, so selling them now isn’t a priority. I list pets for the going price. There’s really no sense in undercutting, because that just leads to a downward spiral. Eventually, prices settle.

As a collector, I don’t start buying pets until there are just a few that are a pain to get. By that time, the market has usually settled. If you are just looking to make money, get what you can now. If they are plentiful, the price will drop eventually. No reason to hasten that.

Other reason to list for going price, way AH now works your pet goes on top of the list so is the one a lot of buyers will grab. Of course someone else may use same logic minutes or hours later and now they’re on top.

Dodger is a pain to get. I have him. So is Renny. That one…whoo! pain to get.

If people will pay it, it isn’t scamming. I don’t personally believe anyone would pay a million gold for Dodger. The pets that bring in that kind of gold are the ones that you can’t get anymore or the ones that come from trading cards. If you can’t get it ingame from anything other than the AH, people will pay ridiculous gold for them.

Otherwise…people seem to be more reasonable.

If someone buys it from you, you priced it correctly. If they don’t and you find yourself still looking at Dodger two weeks from now, consider lowering the price.

My neighbor when I was growing up was a very old man, and he liked to giggle when the price of anything was mentioned, and then he’d say:

Is that what they askin’ or what they gettin’?

1 Like

I mean sure, but with pets it doesn’t generally work like that. People who are willing to spend a lot of gold for a pet know to check it for breed and level and quality, etc. They will not just buy the first one in the queue. They will open it up and look at all of the Dodgers (for example). Just…a little hint.

A lot of sellers see a pet going for 20k gold, for example, and get all excited and stick their level 1 BB green pet on the AH for 20k gold, not realizing that the other one is a P/P breed, leveled to 25 and rare.

Nobody’s buying that guy’s B/B green level 1 for 20k.

I think Dodger is different because there is only one breed for him, but the rest applies.

You guys reckon Dodger is that difficult to get? I didn’t find it that bad at all, there’s a limited number of spawn points and the respawn point is instant. It was fairless painless for me to get.

Otherwise, interesting thoughts on the the topic. I suppose I’m just trying to find the right balance. You want to put it at a price that it will actually sell, and that can be difficult to determine.

Dodger is not difficult to catch. Just time consuming.

86 are available on US servers. Median price is 124999.01:

`https://theunderminejournal.com/#us/aggramar/battlepet/2905

Whether it sells at that price is a different story.

/rant Really annoying that after 8 years of playing the game, I still can’t post links. If you don’t trust me by now, why should I trust you /rant off

Come on, it’s not that bad. You’ve got what, a dozen or so spawn points across five or six locations? If you are lucky you might have it in 20 minutes, unlucky maybe an hour and a half. Meanwhile, there’s plenty of pets on AH you can get that would be on average a 30-40 hour time investment that sell for around 200-300k.

It seems to me we are just fairly early on in the expansion and not everyone is really clued in about the what, how and where on these pets.

I’m all about the art of buying pets

So Dodger and the Grell are selling for about the same price?

That’s not what I see, Grell is more than double what Dodger is on my server.

But listed price is not necessarily what a pet will sell for. It’s just the asking price.

Two weeks after the Hotfix, Fixed a number of issues with receiving the pet Dal, you start wondering if the fix was to just make the WQ for it never happen again.