The AoE Cap dilemma

It’s a nothing burger.

I’m playing the beta as a fury warrior, dungeons are cleared with no issue (just as fast as in BFA and Legion in my experience), I’m not pulling small groups and finding that one of them isn’t taking damage because of the cap.

It really is not noticable. The only people it would potentially affect are old content runners who like to pull entire instances at once, and for them it’s going to take a few more button presses to kill things, rather than just one. No risk of them dying or anything, just, need a few more button presses.

2 Likes

If i was doing poor at my job, i wouldn’t disagree at all. The same with anyone and the job they do… Don’t really get what you are trying to say lol.

I feel like the aoe cap is the smallest problem

How many mobs do you all think is a balanced number to kill before mobs barely matter anymore

That’s too bad, maybe he should relinquish his position and give it to someone who isn’t a pathetic snowflake.

1 Like

Wasn’t fury capped in BfA though? Correct if wrong, but I thought they were already capped.

And for my own take, I want to see how it plays for me, too. I do like the way that Dratnos articulated his concern:

Can you blame him? I mean heavy is head that wears the crown and all but people have no idea how much power / say he really has. Is it upper management dictating systems designs or is it the actual Dev’s? Do you think having BIS Boe corruption pieces was a Dev decision or management decision?

People are way to harsh on him , when 99.99% know jack all.

1 Like

Tell me about it… I’m literally an aoe spammer…

Someone need to be fired before another “brilliant” idea comes to wow gameplay…

Sort of? All fury AoE abilities struck all enemies by default (Whirlwind, Dragon Roar, Bladestorm) but Whirlwind had the added bonus of allowing the next two single target attacks to strike up to 4 enemies.

In Shadowlands though Whirlwind hits up to 5 targets per use, Bladestorm hits up to 8 targets and I believe Dragon Roar is also capped at 8 targets.

In my experience though, there’s no visible difference. You might notice something if your tank pulls two to three packs at once in a dungeon, but if they’re just moving through the dungeon at a standard pace (and from my observations the pace hasn’t really changed from Legion/BFA it’s just as fast depending on instance length/pack density) then most folks won’t notice anything.

Got it. Thanks Car, appreciate your insight.

What is wrong with the AoE cap? I see no bad side to this change.

As you said old content is definitely going to take a huge hit but current content will as well. It’ll just take a year to feel it. In the first moth of BFA we were not doing huge pulls, that came with the progression of gear. With the aoe cap your not going to be able to feel that type of progression anymore.

Also just have to say its weird that you mentioned you were testing this as a fury when they are one of the few classes that are capped in live, so its a class that will not feel the effects nearly as much. I can tell you there is a huge difference in WQ’s as fury and prot. As fury I’m limited by only being able to hit four targets as prot I can hit an unlimited amount and as you would then suspect when mobs can no longer damage me I do more damage as prot by grabbing as many mobs as possible and aoing them down.

I get that many would say this is the very reason for the changes but this progression of power is one of the major reasons I play this game. Without it I’m not sure I’ll continue to play.

Except they’re not capped on live.

Whirlwind hits all targets, as does bladestorm, as does dragon roar. The only ‘cap’ to their targets is attached to the secondary effect of whirlwind, which makes the next 2 single target attacks hit up to 4 nearby targets.

Only problem Inhave with this theory is, the spell effect is still there. It just won’t hit as many targets but the spell effect will be the same.

The change is arbitrary that is catered to the upper echelon of MDI players who pull bunch of mobs and classes with insane damage scaling based on the number of targets will burst them down favoring classes who has the AoE scaling more than others. Rather than buffing other classes who can’t, they nerfed the classes who can do it that made no sense to do it to the point it kinda suck the fun out of the game. The change make zero sense as of plate classes who has X-STORM abilities that affects up to 8 targets.

Right, because a hurricane in Florida affects up to 8 people. Get it? Because it’s a STORM? Like BladeSTORM, BoneSTORM, Divine STORM?

The change is that we all have to suffer the AoE cap because of M+ meta and now we can’t effectively clear the old content by pulling everything rather than making the change exclusively for M+. Think about it for a second. If it takes 15+ GCDs to clear something like an AQ40 gauntlet that leads to a bug boss, something is not quite right.

Think about it for a second: if you cough while you’re positive of COVID, does it spread only up to 8 people? No. This change just doesn’t make sense that we all just have a short end of the stick because of the upper echelon of MDI players that Blizzard made it an issue out of for absolutely no reason.

1 Like

I agree with the old content argument. It is gonna suck.

Mythic+ meta has been hurting this game for a while now. Would love to see it GONE from the game.

2 Likes

It’s not going to be as bad as you think it is.

You’ll still be able to murder things without being killed in old content. You may just have to press your AoE button a few more times, which isn’t the end of the world really.

It hits for almost nothing… the damage that comes from whirlwind is from the ability to duplicate your next two abilities onto 4 targets.

Both talents you have to select and you can choose both. Furthermore they are not part of the core rotation but rather long cooldowns.

If you think capped means that all damage is capped then yes you are correct. I’ve always thought of it as the majority of your damage being being capped (as again we are one of the very few classes in BFA with this restriction) and huge portion of furys damage is capped due to the limit of WW’s buff being restricted to 4 targets.

Even still it doesn’t change anything else I said in my post.

• We won’t see the true effects for at least a year and I think blizzard is hoping we forget it by then.
  • Prot will still be more fun to play because its not capped.
  • And fury warrior is one of the least effected specs by this change.

One thing that I didn’t mention that will also cause problems is that we are going to see difficulties in controlling effects like bursting and enraging when you can’t control were your aoe damage is going. Were we currently see mobs generally going down in health evenly, we are going to start seeing more split health packs were one mob is almost dead others are at 25% to 50% and some are still at 75% health.

Zhekhan to Saurfang: my father said you could kill 10 enemies with a single blow. Oh wait no it’s capped at 5 now sorry.

There is no way to get rid of the meta. Blizzard can change the meta classes, but there will always be a meta. As long as a class is 1% better in M+, the MDI players will pick it and probably use more than 1, then that will trickle down to the live game.

Every class looks to have an ability that will 1 bang every single mob in a whole entire raid

Your spammable AoE moves will not

You all fell for that hyperbolic monk video