Terrible Trend of Pet Drops 8.3

Anyone else disturbed the sheer amount of pets that have shocking requirements to get? This isn’t just from this patch either, last patch literally made me quit WoW temporarily because I was just frustrated and over the neverending grind.

I seem to see a troubling pattern happening with each new patch though, pet collecting is supposed to be an easier less hard core thing to do that used to be able to be accomplished SOLO (and it is my MAIN reason for playing this game and for so long). But each patch is bringing ridiculous requirements.

The start of this expac had the PVP pets which I will never get because the grind and dedication to get them would mean I would be a full time PVPer.
Last patch they had things like the scalebrood hydra which can spawn off one of 3 npcs that have a really low health pool (people nuking them before anyone else can arrive) and a 1-5% drop chance which is limited to ONCE A DAY.

Pandaria had it right when they had those drop chances but on NPCs that could be farmed as many times as they spawned.

Now looking at this patch, K’uddly has a 1.78% chance to drop off a mob that can ONLY be killed ONCE A DAY and he ONLY SPAWNS during a specific invasion?!

There are a ton of pets that are all locked behind raiding… I can understand some here and there but there never have been this many before. It is getting worse each patch.

WTH are you doing blizzard?! This honestly is just killing my desire to try, there are only so many hurdles you can place before I just don’t want to jump anymore.

16 Likes

I’ve noticed it. In fact I was reminded of it when camping a rare and after half an hour waiting, realised it wasn’t going to show up cause it spawns in a non active area, for today.

Wouldn’t say I’m disturbed. But there are things I havent done, like pet pvp to get the alliance npc thats sells horde only pets. I probably skipped a few rares and dont get me started on island expeditions.

A plus though, they have been throwing a lot of pets at us this expansion, and it’s kept me very busy, even though I have not collected them all. Plus adding things like rep gains to pet dailies. That one caused a lot of jealousy lol.

Oh and this patch they gave us the 30 day pet quest chain, which rewards a pet, a toy and a mount. Thats awesome.

1 Like

Vaultbot is another one, a 1% drop chance. I could kill AVB once a day for an entire year and still never see it drop with that kind of drop chance, again if I could kill it more than once a day fine but why are there stupid drop chances on once a day NPCs?

I am still sitting in Mechagon everyday trying to get the stupid thing to drop. Why does blizzard insist on this kind of gameplay (being stuck in old zones for months or years because of pathetic drop chances).

Then there is the budding or brinestone algan. People farmed that rare in 40 man raid groups for 7 hours and there is only a 25% chance of getting it even then!? (if the raid group is even lucky enough to get the rare because it can spawn anywhere on the map so some other lucky idiot can happen upon it despite putting in 0 effort and kill it before those who actually farmed it.) WTH!!!

I am sick of having to resort to the AH to obtain pets, it has totally changed the fun in pet collecting. RNG ontop of RNG is not fun. Having to pay some other lucky SOB a heafty sum of gold because they got something they could care less about but RNG smiled in their favor for is not fun or engaging.

Please blizzard STOP with the 1% pet drop rates UNLESS you let us loot that mob infinitely!!! Please make pet collecting more like it used to.

5 Likes

I like the rare pet drops and make a decent amount of gold selling some on the AH.
If Blizz gave them away to everyone, they’d be worth nada.

you find killing a few rares per day a ridiculous requirement? oh lord…

pet collecting is still easy, you basically dont want to put any effort in it anymore

I dont really see how killing a rare per day is any different from doing one of the panda elemental dailies per day, other than that the rare makes the pets more available on the AH for the lazy/unlucky ones out there
there are only a few pets locked behind raiding or pvp, and they can all be sold on the AH so you can alternatively buy them (dont qq about he price, you can raid yourself)

if anything, blizzard is doing very well in the cosmetics department, I’m loving the new pets and mounts and wish some of them were harder to get (cough ivory serpent)

1 Like

Because it isn’t ONE rare per day, my whole complaint here is that they have 1% drop rates on multiple rares some with ridiculous spawning requirements; rockweed shambler for the budding algan, The forgotten for K’uddly which only spawns during a specific invasion, the scalebrood hydra which can spawn in 1 of 3 places and is usually nuked before more than one or two can actually get a tag in, papi and the other butterflies from the jellies which is alliance only, 5 pets from the raid one boss of which drops 2 alone, blingtron which drops knockoff bling which (despite me buying) have still not seen it drop one and ive been opening those stupid packages since his expansion… I mean how much more info do you need here?

These requirements may have been here and there in the past but it is now becoming the norm and I don’t like having to AH them, that isn’t fun engaging or rewarding.

If you add up some of the pets i mentionec (just some not all), it would amount to HOURS OF FARMING PER DAY. Most of us have lives outside WoW and don’t have the time to do that. In the past where there was one or two pets, sure I just bought them off the AH, but the sheer number of stupidly hard to get pets has become too much. Pet collecting was never this bad, mount and mog farming sure, but NOT pets.

I don’t like these changes and I am sure a lot of others feel the same (especially seeing as I barely even see anyone i recognize on these pet forums anymore, seems a lot have just simply moved on. Blizz can only put a certain amount of stupid restrictions in before people just give up altogether.

3 Likes

oh yes very strong causality connection there sherlock, who knew that the reason people dont visit a dead subforum anymore is because blingboi 6k refuses to drop his pet after 1.5 expansions

you’re being overly dramatic, doing the pandaria dailies took waaaaay longer than a the few rares we have now (no, it’s not hours on hours)
timeless isle was as rough if not rougher than nazj (some of the rares are annoying to spawn though, sure)

im not a fan of the perpetual emphasis on dropchances but you’re just crying because you have to commit more than half an hour to get your pets, sometimes its fine that pixels are harder to get (which they even arent now lmao)

1 Like

Or you could just google for yourself the threads and threads of ‘i quit’ which have been rapidly increasing since wod and look at the countless times RNG on top of RNG or grindiness or the game feels unrewarding as a contributing factor.

Statistically nope they had higher drop chances than these and could be farmed multiple times per day (pandaria rares and timeless rares).

Again are you refusing to read and comprehend the statistics? The amount of time it takes to camp ONE rare is an hour… times that by multiple pets/rares and you have HOURS per day. Isn’t that hard to understand.

I’ve given you black and white reasons for my feelings on this, you have just whacked down some informal fallacies along with uncalled rudeness and hoped for the best. I am not really interested in arguing with you since to be perfectly fair you bring neither logic or good counters to why blizzard should do this, which seems very typical of the blizzard white knighting I see on these forums.

4 Likes

people aren’t quitting en masse because they dont like how pets drop from rares
you’re just linking unrelated stuff because its convenient

oh hmmm it takes me about 5-10 minutes per rare including killing, I guess I’m doing something right… since you’re so smart I’ll let you figure out a way to hack those ‘statistics’, like you know, LFG

I have no patience for people who cry whenever cosmetics arent feely handed to them… the vast majority of pets are incredibly easy to get, a handful is locked behind hard content and a few dozen take a bit of patience and luck

I am extremely unsatisfied with what WoW is today, but pets are not close to an issue

1 Like

I can’t say that I’m a fan of 8.3’s style of spawning and drop chance. I think it could have been implemented better.

RNG is ok (and some would argue necessary), but it’s not really fun on its own and needs other factors to help make it feel less punishing. Players don’t like content just because of a singular aspect. There are multiple reasons combined that make something feel fun and engaging.

• Very low drop chance? Then make the rares up all the time instead of the 1hr respawn (still loot once per day, idc).
  • Low drop chance? Let players loot multiple times per day, per toon (still ~1hr respawn).
  • Decent to high drop chance? Then the rares should have long(er) respawn times (loot once per day or multiple times, idc).

Just a few examples, I’m sure there are other ways, but main point is that one factor helps balance out the other. It makes the overall feel of the experience better IMO.

Right now the rewards =/= time spent, which is why I think some players are finding the experience frustrating and not enjoyable.

Another thing I think they could have done to cut down on the time spent is maybe spread out the rares across all the invasions, instead of condensing them into 2 invasions. There are 6 different areas, 5 rares, so one area would miss out but that’s fine. If there’s only one rare that collectors need/want per invasion, that cuts down on potential time spent, and might make it feel less punishing.

Side note: IMO the rare that only spawns during a Black Empire Uldum invasion, and requires a specific bonus objective to be up, is absurd. Nevermind that the pet isn’t 100% drop, Layered RNG for the sake of layered RNG just feels bad. That objective should be active all the time during that specific invasion so that it fits inline with the other rares. I mean, other rares have 1hr respawn times but they don’t just disappear/don’t respawn because a WQ isn’t up. :unamused:

9 Likes

No i am linked related stuff because it is relevant. My argument is that it is concerning the direction blizzard are taking pets, blizzard happen to also be doing what they are doing to pet collecting to WoW as a whole, and it has driven a lot of people away. Which is exactly how this makes me feel.

Oh the same LFR that i waited 30 minutes in, trying to get even one other person to help kill Prince Typhonus? Yeh cos that worked really well considering Naz is outdated content.

If you took a minute to look at my pet collection you would see I take collecting them pretty seriously and have a pretty good amount of pets, that alone took YEARS to build. So I am hardly crying about hard work, what I am crying about is blizzards lack of care for what is actually fun and instead layering stupid requirements and RNG on top of each other. That is never a good thing.

Then why are you here? Because they are an issue to me. I probably don’t care about the things that are making you unsatisfied in WoW but the reality is, a lot of people are unhappy about the parts of the game that are most important to them. Clearly blizzard are failing in most aspects of “Are people having fun?”.

If pet collecting was always like this then I wouldn’t be upset, I never would have sunk so much time in to it. But what upsets me is them changing the goalposts YEARS after they introduced pets and whacked some unrealistic expectations around “catching them all”.

4 Likes

yeah I’m not fond of rng on rng either but to say that this is new to bfa is just silly, the timeless isle was filled with rares and low drop chances, the only difference is that you could kill multiple times per day but that doesnt affect total time investment, it just condenses it

would prefer if loot on rares wasnt daily timegated but its not the end of the world either, certainly not a primary reason to quit

How they’re implementing rares and drops is not new to BFA. But you have to admit that they’re using this method more and more often, with less and less player-friendly reasons and implementation. It didn’t start in BFA, but it’s an upward trend, which I think is what OP was getting at. And I’m not surprised in the slightest that the design choice is making some people less inclined to play or participate in pet collecting/battles.

The game is changing, for better or worse idk, that’s subjective. But it’s not quite how collecting used to be, so it’s a turn-off for some (namely veterans of the game and collecting).

8 Likes

Being elderperson myself, some call it “oldguy”, pet collecting one of things that’s kept me sending Blizzard 15 bucks a month for all these years. Something to do when alternative was content you sucked at killing time till next expansion. Used to have a high-rated collection of pets cause was patient and had some spare cash for Blizzard Store and Virtual Blizzcon and Collector Edition of other Activision/Blizzard games that I’d never play, cause had a WoW pet from it. Also retired so lots of spare time to work on things like waiting for snow in Icecrown or a dust storm in Tanaris, the harder to get pets.

WoD freed me from all that. Pets started to be gated behind PvP and Dungeons and various other activities that I sucked at. This being a game, hate to even try to do things I do not like. Saved me money, stopped buying stuff with Real Money that I had no need for just to add to my pet count.

And yeah, Legion and BfA, it’s gotten even worse. Remember though that Blizzard makes their bucks out of sucking you in to spend lot of time accomplishing things, again means sending them more money every month.

Vaultbot, BTW, you can get off AH for 25K on busy realms. And 25K really not that much with current WoW economy, can farm that whole lot faster than spending weeks trying to catch one.

4 Likes

Hello. Collecting pets is still easy for YOU, not so for those of us that have collected 80%+ of all Battle Pets available. It isn’t that I don’t want to put any effort in it anymore, it’s that I don’t want to put any MORE effort in it that I have been. Farming a pet, you go to the Mob, kill it (hopefully), and maybe the pet will drop. This is doable, i’ve done it , at times for weeks worth of days. No, I did not camp there 24/7, I went there, killed a Mob and left. Eventually I was able to leave with my new pet. Well, nowadays I am able to eventually find the Mob that drops the pet… On some days… but not most. You, being a Blizz apologist, probably see nothing wrong with that, no one is making me do that, and its true, not even ME is making me do it anymore. This kind of stuff is happening more often and for more pets. Pets gated behind Raids/PVP?.. Piffle. Annoyances. Pets gated behind Classes… are unfortunate… I never wanted to be a DK or Shaman, or Druid. or an Alchemist… those poor peeps, months of ?? before getting a baby crawg. The Island Expeditions were a lot of hunting but never sighting the prey. I never did know what I did to get a pet from an Island Expedition. Its like it didn’t matter what I did as long as I showed up. This is a stupid and damaging lesson to sit through. Something you would never make your loved ones sit through…

3 Likes

Hello. do you even check your stuff before you sperg out random words
I have well over 1100 unique pets (ironically more than you), all rare and more than half level 25

didnt read the rest of your text tbh, try to use breaks here and there

I am more than familiar with how pet collecting works, it’s the most casual thing you can think of in this game
you’re not spending more time farming pets than in mop (unless ur a dunce and dont use lfg, your choice your mistake), and the mechanics arent much different… its always been % based drops for the most part

if anything, the number of new pets blizz releases every expac seems to increase everytime and I’m liking it, I would see half of you guys complain in an alternative scenario that there isnt anything to do in wow if it was freely handed to you like you guys want
hardly white knighting, just being realistic and not letting a burnout of this game get in the way of facts

1 Like

How does someone elses dissatisfaction turn into your problem?
And no, I did not check anything about your background.
Sounds like you have about 50? more unique pets than me. I do have mine mostly leveled up.
Grats on your pet collection. No small achieve.
And if it was easy, everyone would have done it.
What you did not read is Its disappointing not having the pet drop from the mob.
Its much worse than that when the mob cannot even be reliably found.
And hey, how can you call my words random, when you didn’t read them?
Breaks, you mean sentences? o.k.
I suppose most of my pets were wild caught. My brother did give me some pets, it could be said those pets were handed to me.
So?
I bought one pet from the Blizz store. Have you bought any?
Yes I am complaining about the difficulty of finding some Mobs that drop pets,
and pets locked behind classes. Its not wrong…
I’m pretty sure its a fact Blizz is introducing larger numbers of pets every expac, every patch.
They are not being handed to anyone, and I for sure never asked them to hand them to me, why would you think that of me?
I’m not a beggar. Good thing too, cause Blizz doesn’t seem interested in giving stuff away, or any particular happiness.

2 Likes

I sold K’uddly for $450k.
The drop rates and mob spawns are perfect.

Stop begging for handouts.

1 Like

Just because you can make gold off of something does not mean it is perfect.

I will say the spawn mechanics are a bit less punishing than some of MoPs rares. In fact I still never got a few pets to drop for me from there. I had to get them off of the AH, I got the mount before getting half of the pets. I feel the problem is not so much waiting for rares and their low drop rates but that it was been done to death this xpac. The burn out (not the pet) is real and having 1% or 2% pets given at the end feels punishing at this point…I don’t know how mount collectors have done it for all of these years.

1 Like

That’s simply not true. I’ve farmed at least half a dozen vaultbot pets, and I’ve found the drop rate to be at least 10%, if not higher.

2 Likes