Terran Gregory. So much love to Night Elves.

Not to start a flame war, but I hope the same love and care is later put into restoring the Forsaken to what they were originally sold as. This happening for the night elves seems like a big step in the right direction for them, imo.
1 Like
11/13/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Verlius
Not to start a flame war, but I hope the same love and car is later put into restoring the Forsaken to what they were originally sold as. This happening for the night elves seems like a big step in the right direction for them, imo.

I almost feel like that's what the Desolate Council should have been. Move away from the Forsaken being outright monsters, and back to real people trying to deal with their condition. At least, that's what the original Forsaken were, to me.

But, well, y'know...
<span class="truncated">...</span>

iirc, the worgen curse is rooted in druidism, which itself is rooted in the Emerald Dream. Which would indicate to me that it's only druids that are "protected" from being raised from the dead by anyone not named the Lich King.

And not all Night Elves are druids, so the non-druid elves would still be susceptible to being raised.

Now that I think about it, Night Elves were conncect to the Dream via the World Tree, which was blessed by Ysera. Could it be Sylvanas burned it down so she could raise Night Elves?

There's also more then just one world tree left. Hyjal for example , not to mention the other areas on both kalimdor and eastern kingdom that share portals to Val Sharah. Broken shore still has its world tree even after the corruption was purged. Hyjal was close to Teldrassil so they still have a connection.
11/13/2018 02:39 PMPosted by Verlius
Not to start a flame war, but I hope the same love and car is later put into restoring the Forsaken to what they were originally sold as. This happening for the night elves seems like a big step in the right direction for them, imo.
Idk, it depends. Are they going back to being stoic anti-heroes or cackling muderous villains.

Imo, they need to start kicking Ol’ Nate in the rear and start giving him some individuality. Cuz the only purpose he serves is to act like a jerk and gawk at his queen and ramble on about how great she is. I love Jim Pirri’s voice acting, he does a great job, but it’s constantly wasted on posturing and glorifying Sylvanas.

He needs to do something else to make him distinguishable from your typical forsaken, cuz his facelift ritual is not enough in my eyes.
Fact of the matter is that as a Warfront, Darkshore is destined to be the same non-resolved deadlock that Stromgarde is... being essentially a PVE encounter that both sides "win".

You're generally considered a lesser player if you roll Alliance generally, and a total weenie if you roll an elf.... even a Horde version, but especially a "tree hugging" Night Elf.
11/13/2018 02:37 PMPosted by Amadis
People are overlooking all that as if Terran Gregory has any responsibility for the gameplay or questing content that comes after that his team didn't create. I'm not saying Blizzard over all has treated the Night Elves right. But I didn't post up this thread to say Blizzard has. I posted it because Terran Gregory has.

You literally started your OP in linking Ion's statements whose primary responsibility is ingame execution, thus implying that your thread is involving Blizzard as a whole with Ion and Terran as proof of such.

But as we all know, Blizzard doesn't change much from datamine (I'm looking at you Brennedam) via established precedence so far. Not to put down Terran or anything, dude's great since his first professional debut of directing the Wrathgate cinematic way back in the day, but the dude isn't holding the reigns of game writing that we overall have issue with.
11/13/2018 05:57 PMPosted by Vivette

But as we all know, Blizzard doesn't change much from datamine (I'm looking at you Brennedam) via established precedence so far. Not to put down Terran or anything, dude's great since his first professional debut of directing the Wrathgate cinematic way back in the day, but the dude isn't holding the reigns of game writing that we overall have issue with.

Warcraft has a major history of datamined material that was never actually coded into game.
11/13/2018 06:06 PMPosted by Savanovic
11/13/2018 05:57 PMPosted by Vivette
You literally started your OP in linking Ion's statements whose primary responsibility is ingame execution, thus implying that your thread is involving Blizzard as a whole with Ion and Terran as proof of such.

I mean not really he just used it as an introduction. The rest of thread and the title is about appreciating Terran Gregorys love for Night Elves that he seems to express in explaining the thought process behind the cinematic. That's all this is about. Not the gameplay or anything else.

Indeed. Ion's statements are more positive, but that reflects more towards what Serevèn said, words just being words. But Ion's statements are also make a good introduction, because in his statements one might wonder what he's talking about, since we had no idea what he was basing his statements off of since what we've tested has not reflected his words. Instead, I think it becomes clearer that Ion's understanding of the Darkshore Warfront is based on the pitch that Terran Gregory sold him on for "Terror of Darkshore."

Ion's comments also make a good introduction because they are only only are a few brief words here and there that, well, feel shallow, where as Terran Gregory has literally an hour long interview on the efforts he and his team put in to make the Night Elves awesome.
The biggest issue is even if Terran has a love for Night Elves, the rest of the writing team has active malice toward them. Even if Ion's statements here are a step in the right direction, this is a man who has repeatedly ignored criticism from Night Elf fans, and who's words are seemingly forced here.

Nathanos needs to die. This faction war story is doomed so long as we have a dev self insert taking center stage. Case in point, his confrontation with Tyrande.
1 Like
11/14/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Akiyass
The biggest issue is even if Terran has a love for Night Elves, the rest of the writing team has active malice toward them. Even if Ion's statements here are a step in the right direction, this is a man who has repeatedly ignored criticism from Night Elf fans, and who's words are seemingly forced here.

I don't disagree with you here. But that wasn't the point of me putting up this thread. I wanted to share that at least there is one writer who does care about the Night Elves.

11/14/2018 08:28 AMPosted by Akiyass
Nathanos needs to die. This faction war story is doomed so long as we have a dev self insert taking center stage. Case in point, his confrontation with Tyrande.

Weirdly enough, Tyrande's fight against Nathanos has been mostly taken care of on the PTR now. Now Tyrande just makes Nathanos look like a chump even after both Val'kyr are actively empowering him, and he's not even fighting her alone any more, as he has a bunch of Royal Dreadguard Forsaken with him now that get taken out, Nathanos is almost out of health by the end of it, and Tyrande doesn't take a single hit from him.

Incidentally, Terran Gregory also made a joke about how Nathanos got farmed back in Classic in the interview about "Terror of Darkshore", too. I can't get to my computer right now to look up the timestamp for it at the moment, though, or I would provide a transcription of that, too.
1 Like
ManBearPigfurion for High King.

Is there a plan on getting night elves a new capital? Or are they just gonna stay refugees of stormwind???

What is with all those necro posts?

Also, obligatory awkward Tyrande’s dress comment.

Why does the rampant necromancy of threads this morning, as well as the topics brought up by the necromancer, seem related…

I suspect the “Suggested Topics” section of the forum is to blame. I find it often suggests long-dead threads.

9 Likes

The devs/narrative team don’t care for alliance. They find creating anything alliance themed boring. So doubt the nightelves will ever get a city of there own again.

8 Likes

I feel like you’re right, but it’s also such a fixable problem. The Alliance has so much room for cool environments, especially with the recent allies.

10 Likes

It feels like a pipe-dream at this point. 15 years down the line, and they’re still not up to the task. It’s sad to see that much wasted potential, and infuriating to see other blaming it on the players.

Blizzard has all of the power to make Alliance interesting, but then chooses to homogenize them. At this point, I’m not holding out hope for anything.

8 Likes

Because they lack the ability to write anything interesting.
They depend on the original identity of the factions or race created so many years ago to carry their incompetence.

Alliance is boring? Because its races are your generic Tolkien fantasy races?
Girl please.
The witcher 3 series has the same exact issue and yet they can still deliver a game narrative that could bring some people to tears. Writing for an MMO is hard? fine.
What possible excuse do you have for your books? They are just as terrible if not more so.

The original story creators made a beautiful setting when this game launched.
But ever since then they have been butchered.

All races have some how fizzled into the same mindset and ideals.
There is no individuality or cultural diversity besides the most superficial of details.
The moral dilemmas are sunday cartoon level simplistic. I keep thinking Dora the Explorer is going to pop out and ask me to repeat today’s word.

These are some of the worst writers I have ever seen.
It astounds me they are still employed.

10 Likes

I think it is less about not caring and more about being unimaginative and too focused on conforming to this idealised high fantasy hero of justice concept they seem to have for the Alliance.

That isn’t to say the Alliance has to be bad or villainous or even that that concept shouldn’t be part of its core identity. It is just that clinging to it so hard has gimped the Alliance from being more than that, more diverse and frankly more internally dynamic.

Blizzard plays it too safe with the Alliance and as such the Alliance’s story tends to be forced into be defined by what things outside do to it rather than its internal workings.

11 Likes