Tell my about your lost hopes in BfA

Could be worse. You could have lost the war outright with a Garrosh victory and a burned down Stormwind like he envisioned. :slight_smile:

Again, I think the problem of night elf fans wanting to be even more powerful than they’re said to be can be traced to the lack of playable, impactful victories.

“We want night elves to be strong! Like WCIII!”
“Sure, okay. BTW, there’s orcs everywhere in your forest, cutting stuff down.”
“Well, then we want to be powerful+1 so we can drive them out!”
“Alright. Now here’s a scenario where your druids get ambushed and skinned alive. Oh, and you get ambushed in your forest at night by goblin shredders.”
“Grr. Okay, sure, but now we want to be powerful+2 so that won’t happen again, right? Can we get a victory in now?”
“Yep- see, this tweet shows that you’re powerful enough to take back all of Ashenvale by yourselves! Just give the Horde Azshara.”
“Can we play through that instead of helping Vol’jin?”
“Nah, just trust me. The night elves are super strong when you can’t see them. Oh, and now the Horde steamrolls through the forest. Look at this great story about your civilians horribly burning to death! But don’t worry, you got an 8:1 KDR while you were losing.”
rabble rabble “Well, now we want to be Elune-blessed and powerful +11, so we’re going to have to win something!”
“You got it! BTW, Nathanos raises all those people and gets away. But some of them turned into easily-killable wisps instead, and Tyrande sure looked cool killing that winged plot coupon afterwards, right?”
“Grr! Make us powerful+30 so we can finally retake the rest of our lands!”
“Sheesh, I only made you more powerful, like, ten times! You guys are just unreasonable, aren’t you?”

I’m perfectly happy with the night elves losing some battles and winning some. They don’t have to be super powerful bastions of power that major Horde NPCs quake in their boots to hear about. But I’d like the two outcomes to have roughly equal screentime and/or story weight. I don’t care if we have the best military on paper when we still lose every major engagement that has an orc in it. I don’t care if we did well against the NPC threats that everyone can beat when we lose every battle against the Horde.

Another reason why I believe many fans are overreacting and demanding a crushing military victory: Since the story tells the Alliance they aren’t offensive, only defensive, and then has them fail on the defense every time the Horde is involved, it feels like the very story is telling us that we’re idiots at the only thing we even can do. So a lot of people are pushed too far and now want, if they can’t have a good defense, to at least have a successful offense. I don’t think it’s a good thing against the Horde - at least not the playable part of it, but I understand the frustration driving it.

Does the Horde even care about each victory over the Alliance anymore? When the enemy seems like a pushover and the only thing to fear is a random plot-ex-machina appearing to bail them out, do they feel like a worthy opponent?

14 Likes

“Could be worse” does not justify how bad it was, or currently is.

And I honestly wouldn’t mind Stormwind burning to the ground if it meant some other capital city (read: Ironforge) and its race got the spotlight.

3 Likes

Hey, Vildaryon actually posted something that fit the title of this thread.

1 Like

But that would require the writing team to put a lot of thought into tactics and logistics, and what’s the point when they can just vaguely handwave us from one Rule of Cool plot point to the next?

I mean, I would love for the powers that be to really think about the implications and outcomes of the lore on how warfare would really work in Azeroth, but we all know they only care about their big cinematic moments. The nuts and bolts of worldbuilding will always be irrelevant to the creative team.

3 Likes

All of my posts have been on topic here though. They’re all related to my lost hopes for Night elves. This expansion killed off any hope I had for them being compelling. When Sylvanas was going on her spiel about killing hope it was actually the writers talking directly to Night elf fans.

3 Likes

I still find Night Elves very compelling and I am very proud of them. I wouldn’t say that you should share my same feelings, though.

Expac ain’t over. So it remains to be seen if my hope and dream comes true. :slightly_smiling_face:

Complain that a city gets lost and its sacking unavenged yet you’re willing to give up a city as well?

…alright then.

1 Like

Knowing that sylvanas won’t be killed like she deserves. That ruins everything.

3 Likes

I’m willing to give Stormwind, yes

Not its citizens tho

That’s the big difference between Teldrassil and Undercity

4 Likes

Everything about the Burning of Teldrassil, especially the way it happened, was I think the worst this game’s story has ever gotten. It still makes me genuinely mad.

Yes that includes WoD and the ‘one Legion’ nonsense.

10 Likes

My lost hopes for BFA are Orc Paladins, 2h Enhance Shaman and Frost DK, Sylvanas dying, a stock pile of free faction transfers and level boosts, the overall story of BFA and did I mention Orc Paladins?

2 Likes

Orcs are like the least light affiliated race next to the Forsaken, why would they have paladins?

I love 1h and shield combat and I’ve always loved the fantasy of a knight/warrior that uses magic. Also Orcs are my favorite Horde race so I want to pair em with my favorite class.

Classic Shaman Design used to have something like that with certain Enhancement builds. One reason I am enjoying Classic right now.

There is word of an Exarch Hellscream. All we have is the name.

In Vanilla, a Night Elf Mage may have been scoffed at. Or a Troll Druid. But they exist now.

Orc Paladins may be a thing down the line.

4 Likes

At this point we should just open all classes to all races in the game.

7 Likes

My major one is the hope for Anduin to toughen up and become more of a hardened leader, instead he decides not to act when the Horde is weakest after the battle of Dazar’alor because that would make them “forget who we are” and not compromise our ideals and blabla.

Too soft. Nonsensical. It’s borderline throwing away the most critical advantage that the siege brought them and the sacrifice of the Alliance soldiers that bought them that, all because he STILL forgives the Horde and includes them in the list of what needs to mend after the war is over. (aka he still forgives them, even after all this)

I can see why Maiev was so peeved in her talk with him.

3 Likes

Hell yeah buddy, prepare yourself for fat warlocks if that becomes a thing. Eaten too many healthstone cookies.