Telemetry and #NOCHANGES

So, the cats out of the bag that Classic has augmented telemetry over Vanilla. I think it’d be okay if Classic were free, that way we’d be giving our gameplay data over in exchange for it. But it’s not. What is it about #NOCHANGES that was so complicated?

Am I alone in this? Couldn’t time have been spent making the game even more an authentic Vanilla experience instead of ensuring it as a research tool for future products that most of probably don’t want?

1 Like

Yes, you’re alone because you don’t understand what telemetry in software development is used for, or you’re trolling. Probably the later.

9 Likes

Wow. How much time do you really think they spent “…ensuring it as a research tool…”? As it is you have agreed to let them record things like how long you play a character and when, otherwise how would they be able to give things like a /played metric? You are definitely making a mountain out of a molehill. Telemetry does not affect gameplay at all and thus is still an example of #nochanges. The goal was no changes to gameplay not no changes to any aspect internal or external of the system on which the game is played.

Edit: This is assuming you are correct about what telemetry even is.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, these games are companies owned by other companies. People don’t invest the money these projects costs without wanting returns on that. And if that project can provide information to better generate money on future projects, then that is even better.

All that talk about “it’s our passion/for the fans/the love of the game/the nostalgia/a museum,” while true, is political talk and all secondary to and supportive of the ultimate goal of more money.

The sooner people understand this, the happier they will be.

I pay my $15 and just enjoy the ride :slight_smile:

1 Like

Telemetry has always been in WoW. It was in the game client then and was expanded upon over the years and is just baked into the modern client at this point. It’s just a fact of life now.

Riddle me this, OP: Why wouldn’t Activision Blizzard Inc. circa the year 2019 add advanced telemetry?

This is the molehill the OP is trying to make into a mountain:

3 Likes

Why wouldn’t Bliz want to implement these changes in their essentially new online video game release? I don’t understand. Please explain.

I dont even know what this means…

Do you want a server system that crashes and then tells you after the fact that it has crashed, or one that tells you ahead of time that something isn’t right before it gets to the point of crashing. The later is a very simple example of improved telemetry.

2 Likes

I choose door 3 one that dosent crash…Honestly though whats the difference one that tells me oh no I am crashing or one that just does it, Both end in a crash I would say the one that just does it so I can get to reloading faster.

My point was, if you know something is wrong ahead of time, you can take steps to fix it. Having more information about how your servers/software are running is always helpful for devs and sys admins to keep things running smoothly.

1 Like

So this is just a chicken little the sky is falling post and I should just move on.

Why the change Dawson? And I know what it is. It means they are watching everything we do! Which wouldn’t be bad if it was just to make Classic more like Vanilla, but it’s not.

Why couldn’t we just get Vanilla? Even just get 1.12? Why the bait and switch?

What this post really is, is a new and creative way for some one to complain about having to pay the same sub fee that every one who has ever played this game has had to pay sonce november 2004. What he is trying to say is blizzard is double dipping and selling our data and taking our sub fee.

1 Like

What a vile calumny. Manhammer is most certainly not alone in trolling.

1 Like

It means they made it better.