Tear Open Wounds VS Ferocious Frenzy

I was able to use Details finally and what it showed is head scratching. I used it both as a dummy and in Torghast since I could get large groups easily.

TOW works exactly like you would expect and is very easy to keep up. The timing to use Primal Wrath is tight, but you can get it to consistently go off with at least 4 seconds of Rip and have Rip renewed.

FF is not playing nice. You can use PW to get rip on everything around, very easy. However, I was having an issue where it was not proc’ing consistently. Torghast had shown me more hits per use than I was getting on the dummies. After more fooling around, I found out it was only hitting things in front of me. I am still not certain how tight that cone is, but it feels like a small arc.

I like FF even less with this. However, when I can hit the same number of enemies with FF, it does more damage and TOW. Just, any shift in the mob of enemies can cause you to miss some or alot.

I am so confused how TOW works. Maybe you can help me out. So I can use PW to apply Rip to close enemies. Then do I use TOW again to do the instant damage? And when it says 60% and consume 4 sec, is that 60% of the damage that would have been done over that 4 seconds?
Thanks.

That is my understanding.

The numbers I see when I use it also supports that. I can consistently get PW off with at least 4 seconds of time left on rip when applied by PW. This means that Rip never stops doing damage and also gets the extra damage from both PW and TOW. It almost feels like using Rip is useless on most pulls. I can see instances where Rip is better if you will not be able to hit a mob with PW for more than 8 seconds.

Good chance I am very wrong here though.

So are you saying you think PW is applying rip at the same time it consumes the last 4 seconds of the previous application to do more damage?

You got me curious as to what is going on, so I went to a dummy and double checked. All numbers are from doing 5 CP PW everytime.

When PW goes off, it applies Rip for 12 seconds. It also does its direct damage. With ToW, it applies another direct damage, if there is anytime left on Rip. The damage is affected by time left on Rip, aka, if it has 2 seconds left, it will do only half the damage than if it had 4 seconds left.

Something I had forgotten about because it has not been important for so long is the appended time when refreshing a DoT. This means that if you do another PW before you have less than 4 seconds left, you will have 3 seconds (actually 3.6, but you will not see that number) appended to the new Rip.

This means that, yes, you are getting Rip appended for its full, new length, PW’s direct damage, and ToW’s direct damage when casting just one PW. If you also have Rip and Tear (RaT), you will apply that bleed as well.

I have not done the testing long enough for it to count as correct, but a rough estimate is that using PW with ToW and RaT, you get roughly a 70% increase in Rip’s dps. The downside is that you have to reapply PW within 8 seconds and then every 11 seconds. You also clip a hellacious number of ticks. You can have enough energy gen now that it is not even an issue.

All that said, if I am wrong, feel free to correct me. I have also not tested a FB build, so that can make it even more wrong.

1 Like

Huh, that’s interesting, I guess I’ll have to take a trip to the training dummy and look closer.
What addon are you using to check your numbers? I used to use Recount but it looks like its not playing nice with the pre-patch.

I would prefer Recount, but yeah, it is not working too well. Look into Details. How you control what you want to see is different, for the most part, it is the same. One place it is annoying is that it does not show you what server someone is from.

I did a heroic dungeon last night to see how well it actually works. You should be able to roughly guess-timate someone’s ilevel by hp. Using that, I should have been at the bottom of the pile by a huge amount. But on trash pulls, I was on top. Why I mentioned the server part is that I want to look at the party’s gear since I had the lowest HP.

Oh well, I am certain one of the high end druids can say if I am, or am not, wrong.

Did you notice this in current expansion too?

For some reason its suppose to be my top 5 dps abilities. That applies to dps in raids. But in mythic dungeons, for some reason its only 15th place…? And i do way less dps am missing about 30k. Im convinced that this is a bug and im glad to see im not alone in this problem.

please blizzard fix this and make feral meta again

The year is 2023. It is the future.