TBC Classic is Crashing my Mac Pro

(early 2009) Mac Pro 4,1 (flashed for 5,1) Two- 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Mojave 10.14.6 ( yes I know am on borrowed time w/ the OS)
32 GB 1066 MHz DDR3
Samsung 500 GB SSD
TOSHIBA 1TB Sata (timemachine)
AMD Radeon HD 7970 DirectCU II 3gb or 4gb

Before anyone jumps to conclusions and mentions that my system is too old and outdated to run TBC PrePatch, be aware I was running both Classic and Retail just fine up until the PrePatch was relase. I could do 40man raids in Classic and 10 Man LFG in Retail up to this point. I could run Classic with all graphic settings at high output with multiple programs open, all while both Safari and Firefox had more then 20 tabs also open at one time. This machine could handled what most modern day PC will slow to a crawl with just 2 programs open in the background while the wow client was running.

Now every time I run TBC Classic or Retail any major graphic settings above the lowest will over stress of the game and causes my GPU to just kill the Screen into a Blue or Green blackdrop. This will eventually make the system reboot after a while automatically. I understand the GPU maybe a little outdated but the issues only arrises in WoW client.
Any time i try to replicate the issue without the WoW client running by only opening multiple programs and windows the Mac just hums along fine.

I’ve gone into my Terminal window and input the following command line to see the Previous Shutdown Causes codes, there is a better explanation of each code in this website.
To the best of my effort the system just does an automatic shutdown after the screen has been blank for some time. Most codes I get are random (3) with a few (5) from me hard shutting down the system.

(website)
georgegarside(dot)com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

Terminal Line input code

log show --predicate 'eventMessage contains "Previous shutdown cause"' --last 24h

I honestly believe the culprit is the prepatch or maybe something else? I hope am not the only one having this issue. Any insight from any other Mac heads out there would be very much appreciated.

Thanks-
“Light be with you.”

5,1 Mac Pro here.
Same OS.
AMD Radeon 280X 3GB
6GB RAM

No issues.

Pre-patch only affected the Classic servers. So if retail was fine and then it wasn’t, then either you haven’t been playing a while or something else went kaput on you.

1 Like

Been looking at some of the other post of similar issues and seems like when I quit the WoW Launcher after the game has been launched, it will run a little more stable but not long enough to be a true fix, the client will still crash after about 2hr+ of playing or any attempt to run 5man dungeon with a group, forget about a raid that’s even worse before the first pull is made.
Maybe the way the graphics are handle in TBC client cause it too overload the GPU? I’ve notice the Launcher also always wants to update each and every time I open it, none of this an issue prior to the PrePatch in both Classic and Retail.

I can only imagine the WoW Client Apple Dev Team is a skeleton crew on top of being treated like a redheaded step child. hahaha

For what it’s worth thanks…

Cheers

It actually doesn’t exist anymore. The “team” was disolved in legion or around then and split into other teams. Mac support is now basically maintained by one person in their free time when not working on higher priority PC issues. Mac issues getting fixed is lowest of lowest priorities these days, against will of many who work there who actually are pationate about macs.

That said, the first thing I’d check is tempartures of AMD Radeon HD 7970 and if it’s fans are blocked up with dust/pet hair build up. At this point if the card hasn’t been cleaned out yet, it probably is.

That’s why I hate OEM blower designs. Open air fans are so much less susceptible to getting clogged up.

Yeah, but those pesky class action lawsuits from people sticking their fingers into the moving fan blades sort of kills any chance of that.

Same issue on my hackintosh (i7-6700K RX470) and found that once I deleted my Config.wtf file, I could keep the graphical slider at 5 instead of bumping it to 10 and things are working fine. Before that, I was boot looping, basically, as once I logged in, WoW would kick up and try to run which would cause a reboot, rinse, repeat.

Wut? Nearly every AIB uses open air fans. Only the OEM reference boards use blowers.