TBC Classic -- Disconnect Timer?

Hi,

I saw a reference to this about a year ago in this forum but the thread ended without resolution. It had to do with roleplayers being disconnected, presumably for not moving around or performing enough mechanical actions, while role-playing (ie. actively typing and interacting, just not using the auction house, fighting, or running around a lot.)

With the launch of TBC Classic, myself and a few of my friends have returned to the game and the pretty much universal experience of being booted from the game every hour to hour and a half while trying to roleplay has returned.

I guess my question is – is this some sort of script or auto-detection service being used to kick bots or spammers or something to that effect? If so, is there a way to avoid triggering it?

It’s really unfortunate that as it stands, choosing to roleplay on designated roleplaying servers is effectively asking to be disconnected every hour or so. It doesn’t happen in retail, and it doesn’t happen in other games, but in Classic (and not TBC Classic) you can be guaranteed a disconnect every hour or so, along with everyone else roleplaying, in a sort of staggered round robin of kicks.

1 Like

This has happened to pretty much everyone I know at least once. Most roleplayers take it as a given inconvenience that they’ll be disconnected if they don’t shake their character enough, but it would be nice to have a definitive explanation of why and how it happens.

The two servers I’ve been on for RP in Classic are Bloodsail Buccaneers and Grobbulus. Grobbulus is almost always high or full population, but Bloodsail is usually medium populated and has the same issue, so I’m not sure if it’s correlated to server traffic.

I can confirm that this happened multiple times to other players, after the incident that led me to post here. It’s also just been happening frequently over the past couple years, as indicated above.

Here is the earlier thread posted by another individual on the subject: DCed without Warning while RPing - classic WoW

It most likely is not an addon as there are no addons consistently used by roleplayers that are not active in every other area of the game (where disconnects do not occur, due to more frequent mechanical actions.)

It seems like it’s most connected to the issue where Horde players were being disconnected while active and chatting in BG queues due to not taking enough actions to avoid appearing idle, before that was fixed.

My Guild RPs weekly and we have this issue. Starting at 7pm, we notice after 9:30-10pm we have rolling dcs. Its a running joke between us “Ah, the rolling dcs have started, whos next?!”

We attempt to randomly buff to keep it from happening but it doesnt seem to really stop it.

At the start of classic, it was way worse… literally every 30 mins-1 hour you’d get dc’d. x.x

Same issue here. Doesn’t matter if we rebuff anything, I’ve RPed with no addons and had it happen to me as well. I’d love to get a response for this one, honestly. Or at least have it looked into. Nothing is more frustrating than being nearly done writing and get DC’d.

Also, bump.

I can confirm this is still happening. I’m not sure what other information would help to get an answer on this – it’s pretty clearly some sort of disconnect script running to prevent people from just chatting/jumping in place to avoid being disconnected. Sometimes the intervals are really predictable, almost down to the hour.

Even if the benefits of kicking everyone seen as idling outweigh the benefits of allowing roleplayers to roleplay (on designated roleplaying servers), it’d really help to get an answer of some sort.

Hey Arthie,

We’re not aware of anything that would cause what you’re describing. If you can reproduce it happening under specific circumstances though then that would be worth reporting in the #support:bug-report forums so our Quality Assurance can take a closer look and attempt to reproduce it under the same scenario.