Taxes? Since when?

When was a tax added to character services? I made a purchase on the 18th and 20th of December and it was the same $25 that it has always been for the past 12 years.

There’s always been taxes, it depends on the state/area you live in if Blizz force to add taxes to online purchases.

4 Likes

Not for me which is why I made this thread.

That’s a great question for your state. Blizz doesn’t make up taxes, it enforces the taxes they’re required to by law.

5 Likes

No I think it’s a great question for Blizzard because I’ve never been charged tax. I haven’t moved.

Blizz isn’t the government, they don’t make the taxes. You may not have notice it until now.

6 Likes

Most likely with the new year, your state may have added taxes to digital services.

9 Likes

Blizzard hasn’t moved either. But your state has changed their taxes that Blizz is required they collect.

Again, not a Blizz issue.

10 Likes

Are you freaking serious? I know the difference between $25 and $26 and change. It’s very easy to see the difference.

1 Like

A few states started charging tax on January 1st.

12 Likes

Well, this is a better answer than “derp you haven’t noticed it before.” Like I can’t read my bank statement. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Yes, and as an adult, you understand that taxes change and how they work too right? Blizz is a company. They’re required to collect taxes based on your state taxes.

7 Likes

Hmm my state isn’t listed there.

Then you should probably look at your state government’s website to see what changed.

4 Likes

South Dakota v Wayfair was decided in the U. S. Supreme Court on June 21st, 2018. The decision cleared states and their subsidiaries to charge sales tax on any transaction involving a resident of that state. With that legal permission, several states enacted laws to collect sales taxes on internet products and services, and these laws began taking effect very recently.

Yes, sales tax is potentially a thing in every state that collects sales taxes, including yours.

Instead of asking here, you could have researched this for about 30 seconds. Google is helpful that way.

6 Likes

My state’s digital sales tax hasn’t changed since 2013.

You know you guys make this the worst forum to visit? Every time I come here I regret it because I get snarky, unhelpful answers like yours and these:

Just forget it. I’ll put in a ticket where I can talk to someone that’s not hellbent on talking down to me.

2 Likes

They’re going to tell you the same thing - they don’t make the taxes, they’re requested by your state to take taxes for online items, etc.

6 Likes

So, what state are you in

1 Like

Talking down to you? Gm’s are going to explain taxes the same way really. Your state has started to charge taxes…your issue isn’t with Blizz, it’s with your state.

9 Likes

In June 2018, the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision on a case (South Dakota v. Wayfair, Inc.) overturned some existing rules about state taxes. Afterwards, many states adopted a new sales tax standard. This required Blizzard to start collecting taxes in many states where it previously did not.

Emphasis mine. Sounds like yours did, Tovi. Sorry. =\

7 Likes