Tanks can be the biggest jerks in this game

So I have never really experienced this before since I mainly tanked from 110-120 but since then I’ve noticed that tanks can be the absolute worst sometimes

One experience that I have had was with this tank who took offense to me telling him that the boss room didn’t need to be cleared.
He proceeded to say go (bad word) myself and left the instance.

Another experience I’ve had was when a tank pulled the whole damn map of mobs because I told her that she needed to focus on the heals so that we could actually kill the mobs.

Being a tank here and there myself I dont see why someone would get pissed over being given advice to play better.

Well that’s my story, feel free to tell your own bad tank experience.

13 Likes

That’s because you’re playing Horde, the faction for kids.

39 Likes

Says the faction that uses goldsire as a erp dungeon.

44 Likes

I actually laughed at this, lol

10 Likes

Lad, lass, both factions are equally idiotic. Let us keep in mind, we are all colossal nerds playing a fantasy game for children.

But I digress, yea some tanks can be nuts. Especially the ones that get on a power trip being the “leader”.

36 Likes

Seeing as we tanks get pushed ‘defacto’ into that role and take the mpst abuse. From mobs and players a like… yea I can get it.

I would prefer to see the logs of what happened. It seems rather romanticed.
What dungeons were they?.. what were you during rhose times?

7 Likes

I think everyone is a jerk, but tanks have power over the group, so they tend to stick out more.

4 Likes

OP i am gud tank, do a dungeon with me, you won’t be disappointed xD

Your first example I can imagine neither side being wrong if it’s that 2nd boss in Underrot. I have seen add skips attempted and a wipe still happened. The DPS was not high enough to skip his mechanic of rampaging across the room for that time.

The hostility is unwarranted and it’s not justified by any means. Although some players say you sometimes can’t win with pleasing the PuGs as a tank. It can grate the nerves when it feels like the PuGs as a whole tell you nothing is the right answer. We are here to have fun rather than get blamed for events we had no fault in. Still though . . . I do wish the players say it in a more civil way rather than think they are above etiquette.

One my reasons for tanking a lot less was actually because of other PuG tanks during the MoP LFR times. Sometimes the other tanks thought I was “in their way” because they wanted all of that Attack Power from the Vengeance mechanic of taking damage. I come in to share some of the aggro and they promptly proceeded to taunt EVERYTHING off of me. A Paladin tank’s guildie actually asked me to switch to DPS in Throne of Thunder because his tank friend wanted to have fun being a “god” before the nerf happened. I suppose it was better than being treated like a ghost as opposed to the first example :expressionless:

The other time I remember is during Cata in the 5 man Heroic Scarlet Dungeon. The Warrior tank refused to use Thunder Clap, so I privately whispered him to use the spell. He blurted out in chat that Heroic Leap was good enough . . . Actions showed otherwise with the Priest healer getting mobbed. I decided someone had to peel, so I started using Howling Blast to do it (Frost DK DPS). The healer gave me the tank heals and only let the warrior tank die in the next upcoming boss fight.

1 Like

Tank, Dps or Heals, people that won’t listen suck lol. Personally I don’t get the notion. I’m playing with everyone, it would seem that cooperation would be king but darn it if I’m not left scratching my head sometimes.

5 Likes

Most tanks in pugs have a chip on their shoulder and pretty thin skin. I can kinda understand having tanked quite a bit myself. It’s already a lot of thankless work, but then there always seems to be that one dps who just makes it that much more work by pulling things, not assisting, etc. I’m pretty much grumpy the moment I zone in as a tank.

Not that I wouldn’t take advice and swear at people, that’s a bit extreme… but I kinda understand the feeling when people try to tell you how to do your job.

Even if you’re trying to be helpful, sometimes it’s best to just not say anything and let people play their way. If it’s not getting everyone killed, speaking up about it usually isn’t worth the potential drama.

11 Likes

Op try being told to that you’re complete crap and not doing the job right every pull during skittish week well dps are going ham on every mob they can find cause it’s only a plus 6.

You would lose your patience to.

17 Likes

Had a private discussion with a tank yesterday after the dungeon where he told me karma hates people like me and I have no soul cuz I didn’t give him an agility ring for his prot warrior. /cryhard

1 Like

An agility ring? Tell me more.

2 Likes

More reason to never queue as tank.

3 Likes

Ring with agi not str. He wanted it for the raw ilvl upgrade

It’s not that tanks are jerks more often than other people, it’s that we stand out more than most group members.

If a DPS or a healer screws up it’s harder to notice and easier to recover. If a tank screws up it usually ends up in a wipe. Tanks really do take more abuse than other roles because of this. Some of us handle that with grace, some of us not so much.

5 Likes

I know it’s not right to hold power over others but if the dps is irritating me i’ll just leave. My queue times are shorter

2 Likes

Ehhh, I dont know what dungeon this applies to but I’ve been in dungeons where people complain that I want to clear the room. And when I give in dps run into mob packs during the boss fight just for me to get several headaches.

Bare in mind Im usually also the tank that tries to skip as many mob packs as possible to a point I know exactly where to stand for mobs not to aggro me, just to watch other people accidently pull, so Im certainly not an overpuller.

This is why I sort of hate M+ because I have a tendancy to run short on the % kill.