Tanks and RBG's

With Shadowlands coming soon, and lack of information anywhere, I turn to the mosh pit that is the forums.

with changes to tanks and (for the most part nerfs), do you think tanks will be a thing still in Shadowlands Rated PvP?
currently maining my druid as I have for years, but with the lackluster changes to Feral and Boomy, I have considered changing classes. I currently hold the tank spot on my team, and will suffer through another mediocre druid standing expac to continue being the tank, but if tanks become less and less viable or removed, I can happily bail ship and focus on other areas our team is missing from competitive play.

what are your thoughts?

Not sure what nerfs you’re referring too.

However, Guardian Druids are still looking extremely self sufficient and VDHs don’t seem to be having that much of a change as far as talents go.
Both will probably be the go to and viable enough although VDH will still be the dominating FC.

Still too early to make a call. Changes to talents, abilities and covenants pre and post patch can (and will) change so drastically a perceived S Tier FC could switch spots with a D Tier FC.

Guardians and VDH are still looking to be the go-to FC’s but I think Guardian’s (subject to change) will actually be the stronger carrier overall. VDH did take a slight mobility nerf with their leap distance but they might be compensated by be able to take a little more damage and reducing the greater need to kite. Time will tell.

Don’t be surprised if “X” Tank + “Y” Covenant appears and has success either.

1 Like

I think warriors are getting a really good mobility legendary of some sort as well? I wonder if that + venthyr will be good.

I haven’t seen a paladin, rogue, or death knight FC in a long time. I kind of wish that they’d get buffs.

1 Like

BloodDK is still unplayably bad I know that much.
Worse actually. Which I didn’t even think was possible.

I want to believe in protection warrior but they are looking to be more of a utility class than a useful tank.

Blood dk is a God spec with an amazing depth and high skill cap

1 Like

Relative to PvP its tied as the worst spec in the game…irregardless of your personal opinion. Currently doing even worse on beta since we lost corruption.

Not exactly sure what you are talking about as the #4 Ranked Prot Pal in NA everything seems fine from a Tank perspective. Can you elaborate your worries? Is it just from an FC stand point or all maps?

I plan on doing huge damage and have even more utility in SL. With the addition of aura’s, 60% fear reduction for my team and everything else. Should be really fun. Prot is just a great hybrid to put out big heals and big damage.

Prot Pal is clearly the best overall Tank though in all rated PvP content in BFA and that will continue in SL.

Actually think Prot Pal is the better FC now because it has by far the best mitigation ( especially against spells ) But yea don’t think Bear/Dh will be the best in SL on FC maps. Damage is way too high and the strat will be different. I wont be tanking with stacks like I was in BFA. I look forward to the fast pace though and why I play Prot because it offers so much on every map and it’s not just about FCing.

Prot is perhaps the best for attacking bases because of it’s utility/damage/off heals and abilities to immune cap on magic users. In SL most of this got buffed so Prot pal seems like the easy choice for competitive play in RBGs and Arena.

Judging by your lack of experience you need to stay off the forums.

I heard there was a way to get 2 venthyr teleports.

I’m starting to think that everyone that does RBGs might have to go venthyr. It’s too good for bouncing out of nodes.

Plus there is an AOE disorient on venthyr teleport that will be amazing for saving nodes.

edit: are wargames still up on the beta? I wonder how hard it would be to get into Twin Peaks and WSG to get video of this mobility in there too.

Yes, there is a venthyr conduit choice that gives it two charges but puts it on a longer cooldown. Nothing will beat a venthyr fury warrior for getting the flag from one side of the map to the other (this will probably get nerfed) at which time they can pass the flag to a tank, if necessary.

You can only have one conduit choice that effects the port. You would have to choose between two charges, the disorient, the absorb shield, etc.

I’m starting to think that everyone that does RBGs might have to go venthyr. It’s too good for bouncing out of nodes.

It’s also good for porting across gaps or up cliffs, etc.

1 Like

Realistically there won’t be any nerfs. At least not on the PvP front. If something is broken in BGs or RBGs it isn’t getting fixed. They don’t even have the staff available to fix it.

There will be far more broken stuff than that though on all fronts. So it likely will all balance out.

It definitely has a higher chance of slipping through if it doesn’t effect raiding. Heh.

Another reason Venthyr might be amazing is after dying while on d in WSG you can port back up and get to your FC really fast.

I just don’t see how anything can compete with that.

But I guess people will prioritize their covenant choices for arenas instead of RBGs so it might all even out?

edit: any flag carrier will go double venthyr port so they can jump down in the flag room then port back up twice?

1 Like

Vengance will always have a spot in RBG, so tanks will still have a place in rated pvp.

A Prot pally can have a literal 15 seconds straight of divine steed if he’s set up correctly, so that’d be annoying as hell to deal with as well.

1 Like

Great point. I never put myself in the shoes of a healer. :slight_smile: