Tanking Question - How many times?

This is not an age thing. Some people have been impatient since Vanilla, some of this is also just players being used to quicker runs at virtually any later point in WoW’s evolution. We also have that, while the particular behavior mentioned being annoying, we have discovered that we can effectively play Classic content much more quickly than most of us used to.

Have you done a second run? Any updates?

Are you marking targets? Are you pulling with range? Or using charge then switching to defensive stance? Best to range pull. Only charge where you know you wont draw several packs. The RFC boss room, its all packs of three. Check with cc and communicate if pulling.

Did you buy sunder? Are you doing arms?
Are you peeling with taunt?

What level are you compared to the others generally?

Its actually ok for others to pull when they are higher level and been there a zillion times. Just make sure not to hit any mobs with moons over them, or rooted. Try to draw aggro with taunt and sunder.

Its perfectly fine to be a sunder machine at first.

Your tank muscles need a warmup but better yet: you need to be humble and read the group and watch YT to know your dungeon.

WC could really kick your a$$ if you dont study it ahead of time. Go through a tipsout guide on it and memorize the quests, and preferred steps in clearing WC before you step in there.

Remember at this point, you are probably running alts through of hardcore classiceers.

All of this is wayyy easier than it sounds. Youll be fine. I have an alt I can run with you if you are on Faerlina.

Youll be staring down Onyx breath (or timing slam) before you know it, dude. Hang in there and for the love of the horde, dont spec Fury DW like Skarm because youll die and a vast majority of players feel more comfortable with a Druid tank or Shield tank as the Skarm build is designed as a twinked BiS elite raid tank. Pick prot. Take arms to AM, drop 5 in Fury then build into prot. Leveling prot will make you steadier and a little slower solo, but youll survive and get reaaalllly good at sunder, revenge, slam, shouts. Once bored, youll know when ready to try Arms, then Fury (if you even want to at that point)

One last thing, dont be afraid to roll Druid to learn. People love the bear and you do a lot of rage peeling and learn dungeons with a different perspective which will help your warrior tanking perspective.

Someone snarked about primadonna tanking being dead: duh you dont have to be a tool, but you will have to lead, and people will expect you to know the content. You should take charge and let people die, kick etc as you progress. Thats not being snobby, its called weeding out deep bags. Youll know when you are there.

Communicate always and pick great healers to run with. Good luck.

My habit is to tell the group that the first 2 or 3 pulls will be a bit slow as I get a feel for the group. I want to check how fast we are burning the mobs, how the heals are coming in, if the dps are focusing my target etc. so I can get an idea of the pace I think we can handle.

Then I ramp up the pace to a speed I am comfortable with and let the group know that I am open to feedback if they want to pick up the pace. The communication lets the group know that I am invested in getting the dungeon done efficiently and usually seems to discourage people from randomly pulling stuff.

WC is the first place where not knowing the pulls can cause a wipe. Those damn raptors can chain pull the whole first area if you don’t pull them away a bit. Researching the dungeon and keeping your team informed about why you are playing the way you are goes a long way towards the group trusting the pace you set.

1 Like

I like how you quote me out of context, then go on to try and support your position against a straw man. It puts you at the top of the threat table, it doesn’t actually generate any threat. You are wrong. Shield slam, sunder, revenge, white swings, battle shout, ect, generate threat. Taunt does not.

Being put at the top of the threat table, and generating threat are different things.

if the healer is pulling, you are a snail

Lol this is silly. I have plenty of healers that pull from first pull. I doubt it jas anythi g to do with speed most of the time. I get compliments on my tanking from healers that dps all the time. Your just plain wrong.

Thats not how that works

in some sort of sick, twisted, echo-chamber of baddies reinforcing eacother beliefs.

requoted the relevant part.

It has nothing to do with belief? Its fact the way that healers act? Many of them dps from first pull and those same healers love my tanking. Your just provably wrong. I get healers asking if i can take off my shield so i will take damage so they have something to do. I think its more about bored players than anything.

it doesn’t get any clearer than the healer pulling for you… but if you couldn’t read the room, don’t worry; there’s plenty of bad healers who can’t keep up either and will be happy to group up with slowpoke tanks. the 2 of you can then team up against any DPS who voice their discontent and perhaps even start a thread on this very forum QQ’ing about AoE dps or 2-handed tanks, in some sort of sick, twisted, echo-chamber of baddies reinforcing eacother beliefs.

Unnecessarily condescending.

edit: quoted the wrong person at first :joy:

Player 1 has 1000 threat, and aggro, and stops all actions.
Player 2 has 300 threat, taunts, and stops all actions.
Player 1 remains at 1000 threat.
Player 2 gains 700 threat, ontop of the inital 300 and the mob is now forced to attack them.

Taunt generated 700 permanent threat, because after taunt finished, the target remained attacking the player 2, even though both player 1 and 2 remained actionless.

How can i explain any clearer for you?

or
Player 1, spams consecration and sits at 1500 threat and it doesnt matter what player 2-3 are doing anymore LOL

My reply was in regard to taunt generating threat.

In your case:

Player 1 spams consecration and has 1500 threat.
Player 2 taunts, gaining 1500 threat.
Player 1 generates another 1500 threat from consecration, for a total of 3000.
Player 2 loses aggro due to only having 1500 threat.
Player 1 laughs and casts divine protection, and begins the long hearthstone cast.
Player 2 shakes his fist with rage, hoping to gain that sweet sweet extra 1500 threat, after the taunt cooldown.

Now that put a smile on my face… and everyone at work looked at me when I really laughed out loud.

1 Like

Just wanted to update. Ran RFC with a different group and it went well. Only one wipe b/c of a patrol came in unseen. Had a great DPS who also tanked regularly that helped with some advice on some pulls and it was enjoyable, even thought it was stressful being in charge of the run.

Here’s one easy thing I do that makes tanking trash a bit more forgiving.

Mark skull on a caster mob. Don’t even try to hold aggro on it. Put your threat into melee mobs and maybe interrupt any secondary caster mob.

Any class can tank a caster and if they’re killing it they might even interrupt it, at the very least it will die quickly without causing much fuss and give you precious seconds building threat on other stuff.

1 Like

As a tank you have 2 options: go with the flow and stress out over DPS saying “git gud” all the time, or get hard and take control.

I’m an old old school tank. Pre-WoW. And we were trained properly. So, my 2 cents, take it or leave it, your call:

• If someone that is not you pulls a mob and it’s obviously intentional (accidents do happen), or pulls aggro (again, not accidentally) then warn them. Once.
  • If someone is making mistakes due to being new, help them out. They’ll love you.
  • If someone is being a tool and not listening, chill out and DPS. Even if you’re Prot spec (why are you leveling as Prot?) you can dual wield in Battle Stance and make it obvious you are not tanking. Or, for Druids, go cat form. They will end up tanking the mobs and either do better than you (time for you to level or git gud) or die (in which case you point out that you are the tank, not them).

They will learn, or blacklist you. You win either way because you don’t want those people to invite you to groups anyway. Personally, I refuse to tank PuGs. I think many veteran tanks feel the same, hence the shortage.

Don’t worry. Gogogo players typically won’t make it to 60. Not enough dopamine hits along they way to keep them going.

1 Like

This is not wrong, i’ve noticed lately my pug groups are getting better… with an exeption or 2 … most let me get my concecrate down for 2 or 3 seconds before they got crazy on mobs… LOL (but I’ve also learned to assign symbols again)

The problem here is that your tanking experience so far is only RFC, which effectively means you don’t have any real tanking experience. Stick with it up about level 40, and then come back with questions. Anything I could tell you right now won’t apply for many levels.