Tanking Question - How many times?

He said there were a few deaths. This is sounding more like a DPS caster who didn’t feel like waiting for a group.

Well, I definitely qualify as the older, mature player, so I’m not bothered by the gogogo mentality. Finding a guild is never a bad idea, just have to find the right one for me, I guess.
I’m also leveling a shaman, which I played in retail and a hunter, since it’s a nice change of pace. I always enjoyed my warrior in retail, but the classic version is definitely a different experience!

Thank you for the reply. I’ve been side lining your question since, I believe, that leaving a group is the “last” option. And the best option is not to get into such a situation.

• Try to find a guild; because, at least you and other members will have a chance to get to know each other and figure out with whom they are compatible. With PUGs, you will get both good and bad groups.
  • Again a gun for pulling will be needed.
  • Create a macro that throws an “Skull” on your target and emotes something that others can hear. Our tank will flip targets before the old one is dead and start attacking a new target. After he has gained enough aggro, he uses the macro to indicate to change targets. Most of use are to busy to watch and so the audio que is a great benefit.

Since I don’t play warrior; the others posters have better advice and recommendations. Take care and please don’t get discouraged because of bad groups.

If dps pulls a thing, they can tank a thing. You will enjoy a more peaceful tanking experience when they are dead, allowing you to pickup the mob now heading for your healer.

Side note for the healer reading this - dont heal the dps player pulling random mobs - let them die and focus on keeping your tank alive, dont overheal and waste mana.

1 Like

First off, ignore most of these people saying you are bad. You are a level 18 Warrior in RFC, clearly some of these people don’t understand what that means, so its best to ignore people telling you to read the room without being able to do so themselves.

For me, on my 60 Warrior, I had some trouble with this. Not as much with people pulling (but that did happen), but more so not focusing on the skull. Theres no real straight answer as its honestly your ability to deal with people who can’t follow simple orders or people trying to play your role for you. Sometimes, if im annoyed, ill let them play my role, and then swiftly die. This is one way to get them onboard, or, if you have the patience, you try to pull off them as best as you can, but sometimes people are really dedicated to dying.

One of the upsides you have as a Tank is most of the community cant cut it as a tank, or don’t want the job. This means you have the job. Because you are doing a job everyone needs, but no one wants to do, you have the upper hand in every situation. This is basic supply and demand. If someone wants to call you a diva, act toxic, and blatantly try to piss you off, cool, ignore them.

Oh, I have one story for you that maybe slightly entertaining. I had a healer doing exactly as you described. It was a Shaman, and he was using Earth Shock, this is a very high threat ability. He was constantly getting aggro, over and over again. I asked him to please stop as he had died and had to run back. There was no answer, so he came back, and did it again. At this point I decided if he wanted to be the tank, I would be the healer, and I bandaged him on my Warrior. He died again and left the group.

So sometimes showing the stupidity in attempting to play a role you have no ability to perform can help people see themselves in the mirror.

2 Likes

I have done this myself, its very funny also typing ‘bandage spec warrior heals inc’ as you do it.

If they say something about it, just simply say that you thought they could tank. Ignore those bad salty players, send a friend request to those who have a laugh.

Game is meant to be fun, not hard.

1 Like

This right here. It’s quite a simple thing to communicate to the tank and a very nice way of doing it.

Healers pulling because they think the run is too slow? Completely unacceptable and quite ridiculous.

Sorry you got stuck with an idiot for a healer who wastes precious mana to do your job. Unless you have a hunter with you, no one else but you (or the hunter) should be pulling. (But you won’t be turning the pull over to a hunter before they are 40 and get FD–assuming Blizzard actually ever fixes FD).

It’s ok to whisper them and ask them not to pull. They may have a reason, maybe not. There should be communication well before quitting. However, leaving group is valid if you have tried in vain to communicate.

I agree, it’s better to proceed carefully and use whatever CC and player control you have. It’s entirely possible to clear these low level dungeons at level, but you have to be orderly and cautious. Vanilla dungeons were not exactly the “faceroll” many like to pretend they were. And if you have never done them before, they can be very challenging.

Personally, I based it on my patience level.

Sometimes I’m willing to just put up with it through the entire run. (I do make a note of who the player is, and avoid them in future groups. So there is a consequence, just not immediate.)

Sometimes I’m just not in a mood to put up with it and it is three strikes, you’re out. If the first warning was ignored, the second includes the intended consequence - I’ll let the pull kill you before I get into combat at all, I’ll be leaving the group (apologies to the DPS) or kicking you (if I’m group leader). Then I follow through on that.

Admittedly (and thankfully), I don’t tend to PUG when I’m in the latter mood unless I really need the dungeon for my own reasons (quests, drop, almost leveled past it).

Just to say, tanks aren’t the only ones who can act like self-entitled prima donnas, and if the healer’s pulling that kind of behavior, they’re not going to be telling others what a good job you did anyway.

I think there’s a good chance that you might have been going too slowly if the healer was pulling. That said, as healer, going ahead and pulling yourself is not the right way to handle that situation it’s best to just communicate that to the tank.

Now, if you intend to pug a lot then you will also have to learn to keep a good pace in your runs, save for some particular situations like when you are waiting for pathing mobs to move, the healer’s mana is usually your main indicator on how fast you can go, try to maintain a pace that keeps him busy.

One more piece of advise, if you are still newish at tanking, communicating that at the start often goes a long way to change other player’s attitudes and be perhaps more patient.

“Don’t pull anything before me or i’ll kick and blacklist you, and contact other tanks to blacklist you”

Gonna be honest here OP,

I love healing, healing is my bread and butter, to hold people’s life in my hands, to decide who lives and dies to avoid a group wipe, mmfh, thats amazing.

But. And this is a big but. There are too many damn tanks that go as slow as flipping possible. For starters, I have limited time available, 3 hours in what would normally be an hour long dungeon is not something I’m signing up for (not talking about RFC particularly). Secondly, this is a group game, the group is supposed to have fun. Pulling so slow that you only need a healer to keep you topped off means your healer - if they’re any good, is likely bored out of their flippin’ mind and not having any fun. So don’t feel pressured to pull quickly, but do keep in mind your healer may appreciate a bit of chaos once in awhile when a good/decent sized pull goes awry.

PS. Tanks like you are the reason why this druid and my paladin are tanks instead of healers. I chain pull the crap out of dungeons and only stop when my healer needs mana.

Slightly incorrect. Taunt will give you an amount of threat equal to the highest on its threat table, and force that target to attack you for 3 seconds. if that player is you, taunt does nothing, because its giving you threat equal to what you are already at.

Letting a dps pull can have its benefits, by allowing you to gain massive amounts of instant threat, but requires that whoever pulled STOP ACTIONS INSTANTLY. A simple sunder application will give you a threat value equal to the initial pulls aggro + the sunder value.

This method of pulling does nothing for aoe threat, and has the potential to go bad due to taunt being on cooldown when you may actually need it.

A run must be fun. If it is not fun for you, just leave and find another group. This is a game. Not a job.

3 Likes

More generally, if a mob is at half health and breaks away to aggro a DPS, just let it go. They can finish it off. Chasing after it will only make it harder to maintain threat on the mobs you still have.

There’s really no specific number for something like this. Just use your personal annoyance meter to determine when to leave.

You said the same thing I said, you just worded it differently. So how is it incorrect?

You are at the top of the threat table, that means you will have the same threat as the person you taunted off of, generating no additional threat.

TAUNT GENERATES NO THREAT That is the main takeaway, do not muddy the waters or try and split hairs. It only puts you at the top of the threat table, and you must generate threat from there.

The main reason you have to reinforce that taunt generates no threat is that new tanks, open with taunt, many times on every pull, leveling my healer I have seen 3 tanks open with taunt on the first mob the attack, then their taunt is on cool down, when the mob that they didn’t touch runs off.

rfc isn’t a very good example, as almost any group comp will work for it. later on it’ll be more involved. you have 3 ways of dealing with stuff… challenging shout, mocking blow and taunt… usually taunt is enough… people are going to get hit, it is what it is. but reducing the time if possible is what you’re going for.

Keep the pace up if ya can. Mark the target skull charge in before your party can react to the target toss up all your AOE threat gen while whacking skull and if anyone insists on not hitting skull, ask them politely to hit skull.

Be the alpha. Take charge and mark your territory. If someone wants to piss upwind kick them from the group. Hunters are easily replaced.

oh the healer might’ve been trying to show you what pulls you can split and what pulls you can’t split then