Tanking Question - How many times?

Just finished my first tanking run in RFC. It went pretty well, only a few deaths after getting swarmed by some of those multi-mob packs in the middle areas but we killed everything. I need to get some advice on how to deal with folks that insist on pulling. I know I could leave the group, but it was a good group besides that and I like to start what I finish. Besides, I got us lost trying to backtrack to find a quest mob and they stuck with me through that.
Anyway, my healer kept pulling with ranged spells, which reduces his mana for heals as well as making the pulls very messy. As a level 17 warrior, I have very limited threat-generating talents, so I had a really hard time generating aggro as I don’t have much rage built up w/o getting hit first. I told him this multiiple times to now avail, so I decided it was good practice to learn how to deal with runaway mobs. I want to be known as a good and helpful PUG tank, not a self-entitled prima donna. Just how many times do you tell them to stop pulling before you leave?

1 Like

if the DPS start pulling you can tell them to back off. sure.

but if the healer start pulling… you’re going waaaaaaaayy too slow, and you’re the problem.

11 Likes

I think that’s an assumption on your part. No one else complained about the pace and I don’t know if our low-level DPS could have handled more than 1-3 at a time. I’m not sure if the healer spoke English, but when I heal and the pace is too slow, I whisper the tank directly that I’m good to pick up the pace, not just starting to pull.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t read too much into it. It was one impatient player, not indicative of any larger trend.

3 Likes

Only time I pull as the healer is when the tank is going waaaay to slow. Take the hint, my dude.

4 Likes

Despite what two characters who might have more than one account between them are saying, you don’t have to go faster than you’re comfortable with. If someone who isn’t the tank keeps pulling after you’ve asked them not to, my advice is to leave immediately if it’s making the group not fun for you.

8 Likes

Does it make a difference that I warned them at the beginning of the run that I hadn’t tanked in years and I was going to take it slow?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, always expect the first set of low level dungeons to be an absolute mess.

People are learning dungeon dynamics, who does what, etc.

I feel like I am wasting my breath trying to educate the first few dungeons, never hurts to try though.

Calmly and nicely explain that its a tanks job to pull UNLESS otherwise the tank asks someone else to.

Mark your kill targets, :skull: first, :x: second, etc. Will help.

If someone has been informed, and insists on pulling… Well then, if they wanted it so bad, just let them have it. They’ll learn quick.

1 Like

and nevermind that in RFC you could have a mage tanking and it wouldn’t matter much. especially at lvl 17

If someone has been informed, and insists on pulling… Well then, if they wanted it so bad, just let them have it . They’ll learn quick.

you know, that’s kinda how people learned they don’t even need tank minus few bosses?

1 Like

Just leave, you will find another group nearly instantly. Whenever my friends and I see a tank say they haven’t tanked in years, we take it extra slow, teaching a tank and keeping one around is always a good thing.

6 Likes

This isn’t even remotely true, what are you talking about? Impatient players come in every role, healers included.

4 Likes

You want to play like that, that’s your business; it doesn’t mean Texhaka has to.

if the healer start pulling that means he’s confident his mana can handle more stress, and possibly tank it himself.

it’s not about patience / impatience.

As i’ve said above, there’s plenty of bad healer who will be happy to join slowpoke tanks and team up on any DPS that step out (of their imaginary) lines. Doesn’t mean he wasn’t at fault in this situation.

Tanks are replaceable… the era of bad primadonna tank acting like royalty because stuff isn’t going their way is over.

you dont have the toolkit to put up player doing this just yet. The point where you have no excuse is level 30, once you have intercept and can intercept, taunt mobs running to healers you dont have much of an excuse for runaway mobs

I wouldn’t put much emphasis into how one bad RFC went. RFC is one of the lowest bars set in the game. Often you’ll run this dungeon with pugs who have never even touched an mmorpg before in their life. If they don’t listen, just leave.

Also at level 17 you don’t really have a great toolkit for handling threat on more than a couple mobs.

I think that if the healer who was pulling (shoulda been wanding to pull, not a hard cast, but w/e) was not griping about your inability to hold aggro, then as frustrating as it was to not have aggro yourself, there’s no reason to leave, put a two-hander on and go ham. Now, if he was griping, then by all means, I wouldn’t consider you prima-donna, just abused.

And that’s coming from someone who typically does consider tanks prima-donnas more often than not. I’d almost always point out you are wrong in complaining on the forums. But I’m glad you stuck with it,as you get to the higher levels, the healer or dps pulling will have to stop because they will get hit pretty hard.

OH my, as a pally tank… Team no one pulls but me… unless i ask …

Team … pulls… again, um guys i should be the only one who pulls

Team pulls again… me gather as many mobs as i can … Bubble Hearth… / quit group.

This isn’t strictly true. Priests in particular tend to run ahead and pull things assuming that their “low” DPS will be easy to pull threat off of and want to just help because otherwise they’re waiting to heal the Tank. Also some Healers like to pull because they know they can likely endure getting wailed on a bit and want the Tank to pull more, and this results in very varied outcomes.

Healers aren’t exactly perfect gauges of pacing, notably when adding just one extra mob can mean AoE is harder because the Tank now has to tab a lot more or the Tank is going to eat a lot more damage due to some stacking mechanic.

Just to be clear, I am not going to the forums to complain. I’m trying to get pointers. If I’m going to try to tank, I want to do the best job that I can with reasonable expectations.
That’s why I am asking about how to handle the situation. As someone who plays healers, I knew how I’d handle it as a healer. But I am looking for guidance on how to handle it as a tank.

1 Like