Tanking Mitigation will only take surviability so far

For the record, Tanks typically get a blunt of the blame in Mythic+, but a Tank dying repeatedly in the Mythic+ doesn’t always indicate it’s a problem with the Tank. Yes, if they are taking damage from things they shouldn’t be like boss mechanics, I agree, that is absolutely a Tanking issue. If they are wandering into a +15 at a 205 ilvl, that is a Tank issue and a lack of leadership. If they are wandering into a high-level key with all their stats in Critical Strike and Mastery, that’s probably a Tanking issue.

Things that are not a Tanking issue:

• Latency. Blizzard hasn’t addressed the issue of grouping up players from Quel’thalas, Ragnaros, Drakkari, Etc. You can have the greatest Tank in the world spear-heading your group, but if a Latin American Healer is joining your North American party with 700ms latency, that Tank won’t have enough mitigation to survive a Hogger.

• Lack of Interrupts - A lot can be mitigated with proper attention to the Tank’s surroundings, but some things shouldn’t need to be mitigated at all. That doesn’t mean that the Tank shouldn’t mitigate/dodge or Line of Sight to play it safe, or that a Demon Hunter couldn’t bounce out to avoid potential damage. Yup, that’s on the Tank, but if everyone is letting spells fly off without any consideration for who is stopping what, then that’s more damage the Healer has to top back off.

• Poor Healing/Too Much Healing. Everybody has a rotation to play. A high iLvl Hunter or Mage sitting at the bottom of the meters could mean their priority or stats are wrong. If they’re taking damage from mechanics, that’s a larger demand on the Healer. One person dropping down to 20% Health is an immediate priority for the Healer, which could make or break everyone’s ability to survive an encounter. A Demon Hunter that’s properly mitigating/dodging their target(s), but still sits at dangerous levels after safely jumping from their targets is probably more of a Healer issue than a Tanking issue.

We’re all inclined to point fingers when a Keystone breaks, but it’s important to recognize what makes a particular run successful before immediately shifting the blame to the player that may in-fact be performing their role properly.

1 Like

Not sure your point in making this thread.

The people prone to incorrectly blaming people are not the ones that come to the fourms to look stuff up and discuss.

While the ones that do that and come to the fourm still don’t come to discuss as such still won’t be reading your thread.

As such have no idea who your writing that for. Seams to me to be quite a bit of wasted effort.

You would be better of trying to inform thsoe you see making mistakes durring the run or you know better joining a group of like minded people as than those people will be like minded enough to care about what you have to say.

But for your own info as there is some big issues in your post.

Lat is as much a issue on the tanks end as everyone else if he sees people from oceanic in the group should be looking for elsewhere or telling the lead to do so if it causes him lat issues. It is part of doing your job and your role to know what you can handle and that includes knowing your lat limits and causes.

Otherwise int and healing being to low to high causing a tank death is something in the tanks control. If he sees healing is to low should be adjusting pull speed around that, if dps are not int mobs should be correcting them and if they don’t again should be reducing pull speed to match a level they can handle. The tank alone can get every int that matters if you pull the right packs at a slow enough speed. No it’s not good to do that but if that is what you go to do that is what you should be doing. Any time a tank dies more than once or twice in a run, when the group dint wipe/ was wiping before he dies, it’s is at least a 99 percent chance it’s the tanks fault in some way. This is comming from a tank. If you can’t see why your dieing and correct it that is a tanking issue. Correcting it includes adjusting pull speed for your group to handle or leaving the group if that group can’t handle the content. It is part of the tanks job to adjust to the group and failing to do that is a tanking issue. In both m plus and raid healers rarly directly heal a tank a lack of healing dose not kill the tank it kills the group. A tank dieing due to “lack of healing” is the tank dieing due to them being unable to manage there resources in most cases. If the tank or group did not have the cool downs or abilty to deal with that pull the tank should not of pulled it so yes was a bad call on the tank.

While yes in all of these cases it’s not likly only the tanks fault but none the less in every case you claimed it’s not a tanking issue it is a tanking issue that the tank not only was able to reduce the odds of it happening but was able to adjust to prevent from happening. So yes you where just as much to blame if you died to “not enough healing” as a tank. Trying to claim it’s not your fault is in fact WORSE than the people trying to claim to someone else’s fault. As having someone else blame you only hurts them as they don’t learn and get better. You trying to say it’s not your fault you is hurting yourself va looking at what you could of did better.

People love pointing fingers. Mage pulls aggro from the tank and dies. He gets upset at the tank for not holding aggro.

My thoughts… did you invis? Why were you in melee range to begin with? Did you have ice block up? Did you use any defensives at all?

Nope, but continue to blame tanks. I think if people would self critique more , this world would just be a better place

1 Like

hum…

some of us got KSM in a ilvl 205 group week 1/2.

crit mastery are desired by monk… over haste.

it’s typically the OCE player who have issues with latency.

lack of interrupt : yes… 10 times yes.

not sure what the point was here.

some mages do not realize that tank don’t have DPS CD on a 1 minute cooldown like they do, or that tank do have target cap… so they pretend mirror image isn’t a skill and combust in melee range to get a little bit more dmg from shifting power.

I have no feeling whatsoever when they die.

Hello from New Zealand. Feel free to Google where that is on the map.

We get a regular range of 150-250ms over here. I’ve also played back in 2010 when the normal latency was in the realm of 500-600ms, and that was the latency I had for Heroic Lich King. Brief refresher, the fight has a 1 second cast ability that if you don’t react to in time and respond the correct way, you ended up wiping the raid. I also occasionally main healed fights in this era, where tanks literally could die from back to back melee swings without heals. Later on, I also got to be part of interrupt rotations for bosses that had 1 second casts.

WoW is pretty much never a game that requires twitch reflexes in the vein of competitive FPS, MoBA etc., games, particularly in PvE. And latency of the type you’re describing is not something that will hinder groups unless there is something major going wrong as well. Which may be a tank issue, or may be a skill issue on the part of any player, etc. Now if people are getting into the 1.5kms range, freezing up, rubber banding etc., yeah that’ll start becoming messy.

1 Like

Totally disagree. They’re all over the GD forums. They absolutely come to the forums. They come here to complain about the whole world stacking up against them and how they’d be doing top keys if it wasn’t for those dirty elitists asking them to do mechanics.

Read again never once said they don’t come to the fourm.

Said they don’t come to the fourms to discuss they come to complain.

As a such they are not reading his post and as such my point stands.

But thank you for proving people don’t read what is said.

Correction, I don’t read what you say. Mostly because you just ramble, but partially because I can’t stand those who try to settle hash without spell check.

If you can’t even read the block of text you yourself are quoting, even more so the vary lines you are bothering to select to draw attention to that is entirely a you issue not anyone else’s.

In my experience as an OCE player who has done keys in an US instance group, I find the US players tend to blame their mistakes on latency more times than me. Honestly having played with 200-250ms for 10 years, that much ms feels the same as playing with my usual 16ms unless I sell things to a vendor. That I notice :stuck_out_tongue:

It is funny seeing US players scream, “I DIED FROM LAG, MY MS IS AT 50, WHAAAAA”, while i’m there with 200ms.

2 Likes

when you are used to play with next to no ping and suddently get put on a OCE server.

yeah… it throw you off.

and I wish it would only be 50ms when playing on OCE

I think you misunderstood what I was saying. I was saying that US players scream lag even when they are on an US instance server. Hence my comment when I said, “while i’m there with 200ms”.