Tanking: Gluttony without Vision?

Is this do-abe? I like the Gluttony+Fracture play style better that Spirit Bomb and really don’t want to bother with VoP.

Seems fine so far with Anima, but I’ve just been tanking low keys to get the feel for it.

M+ only. I’ll never do anything > +10 if that matters.

If you are never doing anything higher than +10s, then you can pretty much do whatever you want and it won’t matter much, so go for it.

They have changed the difficulty of the keys, so I would not recommend it going past +6.
VoP provides a lot of survivability for the spec unlike others.

VoP isn’t required to play the Gluttony spec. It simply gives you an addition proc of Meta. If you know your healers and trust them you may not even need to go Glut. If I am solo queuing I probably go Glut as I do not know the quality of healer I am getting. When I run with people I know i run SB instead. I honestly do not go above a nine or 10 either.

Bit off topic kinda but how do you deal with threat on Gluttony? I know this week is skittish and maybe mechagon was bugged(wouldnt suprise me). But ran that and aggro was so easily ripped away. SB was way easier to keep threat.

On flip side ran a Tol Dagor and felt so beefy feeling and doing over 40k HPS felt great survivability

Glaive is very high threat, so can be useful to pull stragglers, but I don’t have any real threat problems unless a DPS goes ham on the pull.

Bring tricks and MD. If you don’t have those then tell the DPS to go easy near the start of a pull. If they don’t listen let them die and after a sufficient repair bill they should learn their lesson.

Hello. There are some older posts about this build , you might find them interesting. The title is 'Good" build vs “Bad” build. I’ll see if I can’t link it.

Anything from before 8.3 is no longer relevent in terms of what can be effective or isn’t.

We go for Echoing Void for every single point of corruption, that scales of current max HP. It makes VoP and Gluttony, which already were our fastest defensive scaling set up also our fastest scaling offensive set up.

Spirit Bomb only has it’s fractional use cases because it’ll start providing more HPS due to how corruption effects DPS over it effecting direct defensive benefit, but even then it’s use cases are pretty niche.

I finally have Visions R3 and am wanting to give this build a try, mainly for M+. Is the only difference Gluttony instead of SB?

I usually see it with Fracture too.

Sounds interesting, but I don’t completely understand, probably as I’m not familiar with Echoing Void? Anyway, the OP said they want to run Gluttony/Fracture build without VoP. The article I pinned to my post was written by a proponent of the gluttony build long before essences appeared. They made it work… for them, and pushed it as a viable alternative build to SB/Fracture. Most disagreed, citing it’s low proc rate and vastly inferior dps.
There was more to it, maybe soul shard production would be less?
It worked then, but had problems, maybe it’ll work better now.

Essences changed everything.
Corruption also changes everything.

Gluttony was always “good” in terms of raw defensive value, but it didn’t scale in terms of DPS or self sustainability. In earlier gearing, healing was also somewhat more of an issue until throughput scaled faster, making Spirit Bomb the go to.

Introduce Essences.

VoP is the fastest defensive scaling one we have, because of the potency of Meta overall. This also lowers the need of the HPS from Spirit Bomb, and it makes Gluttony better because of how it extends, allowing for real scenario’s of Gluttonies usefulness on it’s procs to take using a cooldown straight off the table, while allowing there to be much more situations where you’re “naked” without anything up since you don’t have to use your AM while Meta’s up.

Enter 8.3

Twilight Devistation and Echoing Void scale off max HP. EV in general is point for point the best DPS per corruption outside of Meta, but inside it… well it’s bonkers good.

This solidifies how VoP, which was our best defensive essence is now the best one, but EV is about a 40% DPS increase so now it’s, depending on the content you’re doing putting spirit bomb back on the table for HPS, but it probably is so absurd that the combination of Glutt + VoP makes Glutt the best offensive (pending, Bomb might actually be a little bit better, but corruption almost closed that gap completely by the math in discord) and defensive talent set up.

Every system they introduced changed everything, so older guides aren’t really applicable.