Tank Threat Issues

In normal Classic I wouldn’t say anything, but with SoD so many DPS classes have Rune’s that will generate a ton of Damage/Threat right away, but tanks have not gotten the same treatment.

3 Likes

Meh. I don’t agree with this either way, because almost everyone probably wants to play warriors, in my opinion. I certainly would regardless, but if you haven’t already, pick up the Warbringer rune, and maybe use Furious Thunder, and you’ll just be zooming through instances like it’s Retail (which is actually kind of disappointingly too OP, imo).

:woman_shrugging:

Yeah I’ve tanked on 3 classes in SoD and it’s annoying and unfun mostly on all of them.

Here it is, the obligatory, “Get Good” post. Go away.

1 Like

just had a good idea for a warrior rune. “warrior passively generates 3 rage per second up to 15 while out of combat”

this would allow a warrior to start encounters with 15 rage and give them a little boost for the initial pull while not being OP to where they just bank rage endlessly

Meh, I tanked a lot of instances on my warrior while leveling/farming pre-bis, and never had any issues.

Are you guys specc’ing prot and using a shield or something? There’s an old guide that’s not really relevant to the way SoD runes change things, but it’s pretty good nonetheless, for getting started with classic warrior tanking.

2 Likes

Yeah this is not a threat issue, this is a dps issue. Always been this way. Moar damage, less brains.

3 Likes

I really hate that the community is all for just totally abandoning a sword and board warrior just because a 2h tank or dw tank generates more threat while sacrificing mitigation for the sole sake of ignoring threat mechanics as DPS and just ZOOOOOOOOMING mindlessly.

sword and board is a classic fantasy archtype and needs to be a valid playstyle. F%&K the meta zoomer mentality

5 Likes

This would help but compared to a lot of the runes in the game is very underwhelming. Would have to be increased to like 30-40 rage or just give Warriors a rune that gives them a low cooldown 6-8 seconds, that gives them some snap aoe aggro. Doesn’t even have to do damage TBH.

in my mind I was imagining this as a new rune slot like belt or something where I expect we will get more passive abilities as to not have skill bloat. I was thinking another good rune like that would be getting tactical mastery as a rune that doesnt stack with tactical mastery talents. allowing more specs to stance dance

Hey, I don’t disagree that Sword & Board is a cool archetype, and for sure it makes sense from a class fantasy point of view. But, if you’re not generating any rage, and not keeping threat, and taking so little damage anyway without a shield that it’s not an issue, then you might want to try something else out.

Of course, you can always hit your weapon swap macro to equip your shield after you pull a bunch of mobs and you’ll actually get some use out of blocking their physical hits.

Anyway, good luck out there to all the warriors. Imo, it’s a super fun class to play, but early on in Classic, you’re gimping yourself if you’re going prot. Which, of course if you’re doing it for RP or Class Fantasy purposes is a trade-off you might want to make.

1 Like

So your argument is, the game isn’t designed for tanks to tank so you should tank as something other than a tank? Great game design.

the reason threat is a separate mechanic from damage is exactly so a tank type player could hold aggro but not necessarily be OP in the damage department. Instead of just throwing away sword and board they should look into increasing sword and board threat abilities without increasing damage

I’m not arguing or making an argument. I’m having a blast playing Warrior, and just chiming in with some friendly tips that I thought might be of interest. I suppose not. I apologize if my enjoyment of the class offended you.

Warriors can not hold agro on packs of mobs right now. Stop coping that you are some genius.

You are just lying to try and inflate your ego in a sad attempt to be relevant in life.

your undermining every suggestion and just telling others to accept it and play a different way. this isnt productive at all and is more akin to trolling

TBH, you came in with the attitude that anyone playing Prot is doing it wrong. That’s an elitist mentality. People who are playing Prot should be better at tanking not worse. That should be obvious and the fact it is not is a failure on Blizzard’s part.

2 Likes

In what context? In Deadmines? I mean, if you’re sitting in defensive stance and obviously using the Furious Thunder rune, you’re not having big threat issues (not that a pet or ret pally getting hit by the odd mob matters).

Ok. Well, I certainly didn’t mean to be elitist. Good luck out there!

I would say it’s on the DPS to give the tank more than a milisec of time to establish threat.

It usually only takes like 1 second for a tank to get off their aoe dps/taunt.

When I was playing Feral Druid I used a threat meter to see when it was time to start bursting. When I saw I was getting close to overtaking the tank in threat I slowed down a bit.

3 Likes

Proof you don’t play SoD.

Most tanks don’t have AOE threat abilities that don’t suck.

1 Like