Tank marking macro w/ focus/focus clear

Good morning!

I used to have a macro that would mark my main target, set it as focus and only remarks again when the target is dead or the focus is cleared by holding shift. The macro also always hit the marked/focused target with the ability it was macro’d to - Mangle for instance. It allowed to maintain threat on main target while still spreading lacerate/sunder armor through devastate.

Ive lost this macro and need some guidance on how to rebuild it. Any help would be appreciated.

For classic or retail?

I think in retail it would be something like this. I can’t guarantee that it would work since I’m shooting from the hip.

#showtooltip
/clearfocus [mod:shift][@focus,dead]
/cast [@focus,harm][] Attack Spell
/stopmacro [@focus,exists][dead]
/focus target
/tm [@focus] 8

For classic (which I haven’t played), I know the /tm wouldn’t work and you would use /run SetRaidTarget("focus",8) instead. Also, I think the @focus would need to be replaced with target=focus

To break down the logic keep this is in mind how options work (stealing from Elvenbane’s words here)
/macrocommand [this,and that]
/macrocommand [this][or that]

/clearfocus [mod:shift][@focus,dead]
if you’re holding down the shift key OR your focus is dead Then Clear the Focus

/stopmacro [@focus,exists][dead]
Stop/exit the macro if your focus exists or stop it because your target (target is implied even though not explicitly stated) is dead (don’t want to set the focus to a dead target).

/focus target
Change your focus to your target. Might be able to just use /focus here without anything following it.

/tm [@focus] 8
Set the target marker to be a skull.

See https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/MACRO_targetmarker for an explanation of /tm and its marker #'s (0 to 8) since its a new command introduced with 9.0

3 Likes

This actually looks promising. Thank you.

1 Like

Variation on what you’re after (alt to set/cast on focus)

2 Likes

Thank you.

edit:

Found my old macro! It appears I removed the [mod:shift] conditional for clearing focus at some point.

#showtooltip Mangle
/startattack
/clearfocus [@focus,help]
/focus [@focus,noexists][@focus,dead]
/run if GetRaidTargetIndex("focus") ~=8 then SetRaidTarget("focus", 8) end
/cast [@focus,exists,nodead][]Mangle
/use 13
/use 14