Talanji should have asked both factions for aid instead of only one

Which is more or less what I was discussing. The High Elves are not omniscient. They do not know what the Blood Elves suffered. It’s why they cannot contemplate why the Blood Elves joined the Horde, and why they cannot fathom why the Blood Elves would stay a part of the Horde. The Void Elves themselves are proof in action that the Blood Elves would be welcomed back into the Alliance, regardless of the past.

It is entirely based on the experiences individuals have had over those years. High Elves in the Alliance either live civilian lives (in which case their livelihood and protection stems from the Alliance), or are soldiers of the Alliance (in which case they’ve witnessed first hand the atrocities the Horde has taken).

Lor’themar once said the Alliance’s actions push the Blood Elves deeper into the arms of the Horde. The opposite is no less true. Why should a High Elf ever think a Blood Elf has a point, after the War of Thorns, which was a step-by-step recreation of the Fall of Quel’Thalas, in which the part of the Scourge was played by the Horde, including the Blood Elves themselves?

The idea that High Elves would look at everything the Horde and Blood Elves have done since BC and think, “You know, maybe they have a point,” is outright ludicrous. That’s my opinion, mind you, but I stand by it.

Blood of the Highborne made it clear that Rommath was in contact with Kael’thas the entire time he was in Quel’Thalas. I would imagine this is Lor’themar’s, “Get out of Moral Atrocities Free,” card. Any actions Lor’themar took that would be morally reprehensible, such as the exile (potentially), can be pushed onto Kael’thas in part if not in full.

This largely ignores Horde quests victimizing the High Elves, constantly. That was a key point of the Quel’Lithien Lodge’s ire towards Lor’themar. Keep in mind, this all happens in a time when the High Elves have no reason to even try to see matters from the Blood Elf perspective.

I might add that, “courteous, friendly, and unwilling to engage in further hostility with High Elves,” is a stretch. In the Quel’Delar questchain, when Lor’themar tries to take the sword for himself, the Blood Elves immediately turn on the High Elves, and surround their representative with drawn blades. That’s not, “courteous, friendly, and unwilling to engage in further hostility.” Then there’s the Silver Covenant coming to Quel’Thalas to answer the Ranger-General’s request for aid and being mouthed off to by a messenger sent by Lor’themar all but telling them to GTFO.

Certainly Thalen Songweaver had no compunctions about the deaths of untold numbers of High Elves at Theramore when he helped destroy it.

I believe you’re misconstruing one olive branch extended by Lor’themar, and maybe some dialogue by the reliquary’s leader to be an indication of Blood Elven attitudes toward High Elves at large. There are many, many more examples to the contrary.

I’m reminded of a discussion in another thread… Let me quote it.

Ultimately, the High Elves are victims of the Blood Elves in the story of the Thalassian Elves. Exiled for taking a moral stance, hated for standing by old allies, and frequently attacked by the Blood Elves and their allies. Small wonder that groups of High Elves turned antagonistic and struck back. Every tyrant makes their own worst enemies, as Lor’themar discovered to his great sorrow (until the blame is placed on Kael’thas).

High Elves are as much villains to the Blood Elves as the Bajorans are to the Cardassians in Star Trek. Seems Blizzard may be taking a leaf out of the Star Trek playbook as well, since come Midnight the elven tribes will be, ‘uniting,’ meaning the High Elves will be helping the Blood Elves secure the kingdom.

Can you cite a few examples? I can’t remember these two being in the same room together, let alone Vereesa firing magic arrows at Rommath.

1 Like