Sylvanas Sabotage

So Afrasiabi’s fell touch has influenced Shadowlands’ story too?

Considering Danuser is now implying 9.2 as a closing chapter of a book. I assume that to mean everything from here on out is without Afrasabi’s influence.

They are not ending the franchise or reinventing the wheel. But it was a clear signal that after 9.2 they are done with Afrasabi’s mess and starting a new chapter, they are closing the book on BFA and Shadowlands.

5 Likes

I’ve never heard of that but it was an interesting read. I fall into the achiever’s category. I’m playing Classic recently and the appeal is it has realistic objectives to obtain as an achiever.

2 Likes

Im a socializer (hearts) with explorer and killer tendencies.

1 Like

Then say that lol

It’s why I preface every time I mention the Magic Circle with “read Castronova’s Synthetic Worlds for more details, or at least the Magic Circle (video games) wiki”

imagine if I just walked around saying “Ion and Danuser broke my Magic Circle and the avatar-spectre of my gameplay is shattered” with no context or reference

3 Likes

One of the things I love about Classic is I can really slow down, there is no pressure to be current and I can explore and grind out rep, and do all the quests in one area and explore. I’m not overwhelmed by the amount I have to accomplish there’s a set end goal.

I like playing the AH, I like picking up items that are priced too low and reselling them. Playing the AH is one of my favorite things to do in classic. You don’t make a lot of gold but it’s a steady income, at level 35 I’ve made close to 400g

Farming and selling is also where I get my seratonin. Nothing more satisfyimg than seeing an AH selling list full of 20 stacks.

2 Likes

Sorry, Ive been spouting off about Dr. Bartle and how the old devs solved decades of MMO problems all over the forums. I guess I worried about redundancy.

2 Likes

He was absent from 2019 Blizzcon, possibly because he has been remooved from the team. It was the end of war campaign and the announcement of Shadowlands if i remember correctly. My guess is that he was involved in all BFA and partially till 9.0.

3 Likes

I am sure that we will feel the effects of the decision under his leadership for a long time, the night elves and Forsaken are still in a precarious situation.

everytime we want to fix something like…teldrassil, people will remember this time, everytime the forsaken got nearer their solution…it will be the same. So we will still stuck for a while in this storylines.

2 Likes

I really hope they don’t try to sweep the Night Elf and Forsaken narrative under the rug instead of letting it play out like it deserves.

3 Likes

I dont want to offend you, but this is a very backward view of the media. No offense.

Don’t take this the wrong way, but you’ve got it mixed up. Its not that BTS or any of the prior transnarrative sources got it wrong. Its that the Jailer is clearly a later addition that has required them to retcon lore woven through the majority of the WoW story.

And “unreliable narrator” isnt even accurate when categorizing Sylvanas’ inner monologue. Its related, but Sylvanas isnt the narrator of BtS. Sylvanas’ inner monologue can only tell us Sylvanas’ thoughts, and it is a reliable source of that, even if those thoughts are fallible.

1 Like

They already did, when they introduced the split soul concept, absolving Sylvanas of all wrongdoing and handwaving all of the positive aspects of her character from prior expansions.

How can they come back from that? How does it play out? What little I understand from Baalsamael’s magic circle allusions is that the excessive retcons have ruined our experience by overly subverting our expectations. Maybe I got that wrong, but they have definitely done that.

3 Likes

They have done that you are right, and I am equally upset, and apprehensive about Sylvanas’s characterization moving forward.

2 Likes

My one hope is the sylvanas book puts a lot of apprehension to rest and that they clear some or most of our concerns

5 Likes

I did see that there was some similarities they did keep. For example Sylvanas balls up her fist when upset. And RG does it too in the new cinematic…

Now, I’m not saying that’s definitive proof she’s the same person, but it may be easier for them to explain that Sylvanas isn’t two seperate people due to the split soul, she’s still the same person but for narrative reasons for this cinematic to highlight the two opposite sides fighting for control of Sylvanas’s psyche they opted to split them up for the purpose of this cinematic…

The RG has always been a part of the Banshee Queen, and the BQ has always been a part of Sylvanas. Does that make sense?

1 Like

The best they can hope to do is establish all the current Sylvanas lore, and clear up what is or is not retconned from previous sources.

That’s not great, but it’s the best they can hope for.

Yup, that is part of it.

The other part of the Magic Circle based damage is that they’ve “pulled the rug out from under us” re: the themes of the races.

e.g. Calia, as she currently is, is a radical departure from the themes (Victorian Horror, Southern Gothic, etc) of the Forsaken

e.g. the Night Elves, a heavily feminist themed race, being so brutalized and rendered homeless suddenly

4 Likes

No offense taken.
My post was actually echoing your sentiment… jailer and his thing was not known to Golden when she wrote BTS or any earlier works like Chronicles.

Now idk if this is retcon or a complete collapse of communication or project management but its definitely a failure.

My point was when certain fans or Blizzard try to explain the inconsistency as a planned unreliable narrator is complete horse doodoo. They are lying because thats not how you make an unreliable narrator and I made an example of a book centered around an unreliable narrator.

4 Likes

Thadeus, Amani#11413, I would like to continue our disscussion, I do consider you a friend.

1 Like

The only thing Blizzard explains as Unreliable Narrator was originally Chronicles (post retcon) which I believe is a good idea for a living world, and now the new SL lore book Grimoire (which supplements and reinforces the idea that the mythology and cosmology should come from unreliable sources).

What certain fans have said in relation to Sylvanas is another thing altogether. That Sylvanas is not a reliable source on herself as a character. She’s reliably damaged and sees herself, and promotes herself as something other than what she is. What she is is consistently sentimental, co-dependent and hopeful, despite claiming otherwise all the time.