Sylvanas from BfA onwards may have been the result of a dev spat in the Cosby Suite

You do understand that the Orcs perfected Forest combat in the First War?

More like Russians trying to subdue Finland in the Winter War. They may have won in the end, but the blood price was steep, and the USSR as a nation was thoroughly humiliated.

5 Likes

There is a difference between perfecting forest combat and invading a magical forest your enemy has been patrolling and fortifying for 10 thousand frigging years.
Ever heard of home advantage?

The only thing separating the forest trained orcs compared to some invader isnā€™t as well versed would be ā€œyeah, this place is bad news, letā€™s not mess with it.ā€ while the other invader would blindly march to their doom.

Yes perhaps a better example. Either works in that the cost would not be worth it and whatever army you used to invade is not going to be useful anytime soon.

4 Likes

Isnā€™t that just the Allianceā€™s BfA story?

If whoever was in charge of the actions, shots and dialogue in that cinematic hadnā€™t made those choices, it wouldnā€™t have become a meme.

And I think Afrasiabi was also one of the devs responsible for Sylvanasā€™ ridiculous plot armor.

Thereā€™s good reason for that meme. Plus, if I recall, when Arthas stabbed Sylvanas (according to the novel ā€œRise of the Lich Kingā€ and every cinematic), he stabbed her through the stomach - though I think it was a slash across the torso in the RTS cutscenes.

What Anyaceltica said is a good summary, but it left out one thing. Thereā€™s a picture of some of the worst offenders from the lawsuit, including Afrasiabi himself, posing on a hotel bed with a big picture of Bill Cosby (and Cosby was convicted of even worse; they claimed not to know of Cosbyā€™s crimesā€¦ but after this I wouldnā€™t be surprised if it turned out they were lying).

Thereā€™s also a picture of a text exchange between David Kosak and Alex Afrasiabi about finding women for the ā€œCozā€ that happened around the time the photo was taken. The former - the Cosby suite photo - is seen hereā€¦

https://preview.redd.it/artzg7x1yzd71.png?width=965&format=png&auto=webp&s=b36a16919f747fa2878d50bd664bb9792f15950c

and the latter text exchange is seen hereā€¦

https://preview.redd.it/m6v6drgsyzd71.png?width=965&format=png&auto=webp&s=7d28923855294d7189acb25d9a28b3b921dfb362

Saying the success of WoW went to their heads is an understatement.

3 Likes

We wish we could be as cool as Finland.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s the Allianceā€™s story every time thereā€™s a faction conflict because they are supposed to be ashamed of their urge to defend themselves. The Devā€™s canā€™t help but fistpump for the Horde whenever the faction conflict gets recognition. At least until they remember about the status quo and force the Alliance to Save the Hordeā€™s Honorā„¢ or whatever they are calling it now.

Which is why I find it concerning that people are sweeping Kosakā€™s involvement under Afrabashi. Sylvanas isnā€™t the only female character in WoW to have her character assassinated to make room for toxic masculinity.

3 Likes

I struggle to think of a historical example of an enemy nation marching into a country, destroying everything and everyone in their path.
Then the invaded country starts fighting the enemy nation to a stand still, joins a coop and then signs a peace treaty with this said enemy country.

Has this ever happened?
Usually these things keep going until one country absorbs the other.

I donā€™t know why anyone sweeps Kosak under the rug. While the guilty devs are all guilty, some were worse than others. For myself, I single out Afrasiabi more because he outranks most of the people in that lawsuit including Kosak - in fact, if you look at the messages in their text exchange, Afrasiabi comes across as the ringleader of the group Kosak was ā€œgetting the chixxā€ for - and he was in charge of a lot WoWs story.

And I did make a list of several of the female characters who I think were thrown under the bus due to toxic views and attitudes on the part of the devs. They were;

• Jaina
  • Tyrande
  • Sylvanas
  • Xeā€™ra
  • Yrel
  • Ysera
  • Sally Whitemane

There are a few examples, such as when Genghis Khan led the Mongols to wipe out the Khwarazmian Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_conquest_of_the_Khwarazmian_Empire

1 Like

Kwarazmian was wiped off the earth and so were the Abbasids. The only muslim nation to actually stop the Mongols were the Egyptian Mamluks and they were pretty effective at it. Only losing one battle against them if I recall. The mongols never got the chance to do what they did to Baghdad to Cairo or Alexandria. Maybe the Horde resembles the Mongols in their brutality but I canā€™t think of a nation as placid as the Alliance when faced against such an enemy.

1 Like

Because Afrasiabiā€™s influence is more recent and his name is a part of the lawsuit. Iā€™d put money on people not knowing who Afrasiabi was prior to the lawsuit and, since heā€™s not mentioned anywhere near as often outside of story circles, people are going to keep not knowing who Kosak is.

3 Likes

One of the first books I read first as a Readerā€™s Digest extract than as the full book was ā€œThe Tunstaā€ by Teppo Turen in which a family makes an escape from Finland to America in a sailing boat they outfitted themselves.

2 Likes

To provide a real life example. Australiaā€™s military does train in guerilla tactics and how to counter them. This really started up towards the latter half of WW2 since Japan was knocking on our doorstep basically. Despite that, we still got our asses kicked in Vietnam. Although not as much as the US forces did.

Sometimes you can be well trained in a style of combat and still get your asses kicked. I would say fighting humans and later High Elves in their forests is different compared to fighting Night Elves who can go invisible in the dark and can use the very environment against you. There is a reason why Archimonde was scared of Cenarius after all.

9 Likes

Unlike those of the Night Elves, the Vietnamese military forces hadnā€™t been lured out of the country.

That would have more of an impact on the story if the writers stopped using the ingame scale as the canonical scale.

It took Arthas a month to go from Lordaeron to Northrend. But it only took the Night Elf fleet a week or so to go from Darkshore to Silithus AND back.

12 Likes

I realize now who Alliance is.

They are Australia and the Horde is their hated enemy. The Emus.

15 Likes

Good old Australia, one of the only countries in the world where it is legal to eat your national animals (that being Kangaroo and Emu). We even went to war with one of them because they are a pest.

And we lost.

4 Likes

Hey donā€™t feel bad. It must be hard to aim when you are upside down.
Wait you guys eat kangaroos? Arenā€™t they like giant rats?

2 Likes

Legend says they taste like chicken.

1 Like

No in one of the interviews he literally said heā€™s the guy they call in to get the faction war going again

Heā€™s the in-game violence and chaos guy

2 Likes