SV for pvp?

How is SV looking for all pvp right now?

I use it and it’s quite fun. You do have to focus on surviving though, not because of the themes of the class, but rather from your lack of damage and burst. You have to focus on controlling your opponent and prevent them doing damage to you.

This means you want to use melee on ranged units and ranged on melee units. You can fight most classes and win the 1v1 with really only Paladins giving you too much trouble.

It has a wide variety of tools that allow you to deal with almost any situation.

4 Likes

It’s decent up until high ratings. Make sure you mend pet when it takes damage and have your healer put prepared to heal it as well if needed.

Feign death leggo is the way to go generally as well, it is super strong.

Survival PvP is my favorite part about Hunter so far, yeah 360 no scope wallhacks with the Kyrian arrow are cool but the control and flow of survival is second to none. High ratings I think we’re still stunted, but, what are ya’ gonna do in the age of FMage and Hpal?

I would recommend Necrolord unless you are playing with a dedicated healer. Often in pvp you only get 4 seconds out of kyrian arrow. Necro lord gives you on demand burst, focus regen, and most importantly a large defensive toolkit.

It’s going to be even stronger next patch giving you 40% barrier on a 2 minute cooldown reduced by 1 second for every unique corpse you walk by. I also think necrolord is preferable if you like Battle Grounds or Rated Battlegrounds.

You can be the absolute worst nightmare on a point with Forgebound Reveries, allowing you ten seconds of life after dying on a point.

Just be sure to not use feign death during Forgebound Reveries as it resets it, and is definitely a bug. A bug that will make you immortal, till you get banned.

3 Likes

What’s a good opener/rotation

So first off in pvp realize you have two rotations. As I mentioned above if you’re fighting melee you dont want to be in melee. You don’t have the same defensives they get access to nor healing.

Serpent Sting- Firstly keep serpent sting up on your primary target at all times. Keep serpent sting up on as many secondary targets as possible as well. It’s your hardest hitting move outside of Wildfire Bombs and Killshot.

If you are playing against a melee at range and aspect of the eagle is down, you can dump focus into serpent sting whenever you are about to cap focus.

Wildfire bombs- Will do the most burst for you. Follow up a serpent sting with a wildfire bomb. If you have wildfire infusion the DoT from Wildfire Bomb doesn’t overwrite itself allowing you to toss two back to back when you are trying to apply pressure. Double toss wildfire like this if you are going for a kill, otherwise save one charge. Note that wildfire does it’s aoe in a cone behind it’s primary target. You can use this to avoid breaking ice traps on your target.

Next up in your rotation would be talents.

Chakrams- Can be a good choice if you find yourself kiting melee a lot. Use Chakrams immediately following your wildfire.

Murder of Crows- I usually save for a target that I see already within kill range. You can open with it in BG’s or Arena if another target is already pressuring them.

Steel Trap- Personally I use steel trap. You can use steel trap from stealth before you open and they’ll already have a strong bleed on them. It doesn’t even break stealth. (neither does explosive but it does make your pet try to attack from stealth so put them on passive) It also lets you easily control other melee such as warriors and pesky rogues.

Flanking Strike- This talent is much better then it might appear at first. It hits insanely hard giving you on demand burst while also charging 15y making it harder for casters to escape. It’s also the only ability that gives focus back to your pet. If your pet goes over 50 focus from it their next ability does double damage. This is an additional 800 damage or so that’s not on the tooltip. Taking it also means you can skip alpha predator and take Terms of Engagement, giving you off global damage, harpoon resets, and an insanely fun talent over all.

Raptor Strike- I only use raptor strike if aspect of the eagle is up, fighting a caster, or I can’t get out of melee range and ALL of the above is already been pressed. Raptor strike does very low damage for the risk it puts you at. You can also barely eek out 4 of these before running out of focus. Even with kill command giving back focus the average damage between Kill Command and Raptor Strike is 80% attack damage per global. This is while a paladins Blade of Justice is hitting you for 145% usually more with Seraphim etc and Templars Verdict hitting you for 200% pure holy.

Don’t Raptor strike if unless they can’t hit you back or you can’t get away.

Kill Command- Use this when your heavy hitting abilities are down or you want to keep hitting a target at range when aspect of eagle is down.

Kill Shot If it crits they die. If you are venthyr press this every global its up. If not press it every global they are below 20% and it’s up.

TLDR

Stealth
Steel Trap

Out of Stealth
Kill shot whenever available

Serpent sting on the target always

Covenant ability(Always for Venthyr, If bursting for other covenants)

Wildfire bomb(2x for burst with infusion)

Chakrams if talented

Flanking strike (if talented and in range)

Raptor Strike (with aspect of eagle if kiting or being kited)

Kill Command - Only when other options not available

6 Likes

Don’t forget to make some @cursor macros. This makes it way easier to spread serpent stings around, as well as being able to quickly kill shot a player that isn’t your target.

Appreciate it thanks

It’s a fun spec but we don’t have burst damage and we become a melee spec that can’t stand melee against any other melee. lol

We don’t have enough damage to kill them fast, nor do we have enough defensive to survive the enemy damage.

3 Likes

If they give us the burst or (my preference) the survivability need to hang in melee longer I’ll cry

1 Like

Also for next patch Venthyr might end up being pretty fun

If you’re doing BGs and you kill a kill shot proc you can do some burst that will catch people off guard if you’ve got both your bombs off CD

I recently started using soul forge embers (the hated one.) This actually gives us a great burst combo even from stealth!

I open on them from stealth with Steel Trap 6000 into tar Trap flare 7200 damage.

At this point I’m still in stealth I’ve dealt 14000+ damage with procs and can decide if I want to engage. Then if their trinket is down I’ll use intimidation then Wildfire Bombx2 with Wildfire infusion. This is another 14k damage.

I use Death Chakram since I’m necrolord which is another 12k and Raptor strike which hits for 6-12k.

The best part is you can do this every 25 seconds, while in combat harpoon them and drop ice trap at their feet instantly with @cursor macro. Then instead of Steel trap I open with Tar Trap-> Flare it takes a second to apply and break the ice trap. During which I drop the steel trap into wildfire wildfire.

While the damage does happen over 12 seconds, 28k damage setup every 30 seconds in nothing to scoff at. All the while the dots are ticking I’m hitting with Autos and Raptor strike/Flanking Strike/Death Chakram

This is 38000 damage every 30 seconds my opponent has to worry about. With Coordinated assault that’s 45600 damage in less then 12 seconds.

Then “thwip” Kill Shot.

2 Likes

Half of our PVP talents and traps are completely bugged and just fizzle out doing nothing.

You taking steel trap over bird of prey? How’s damage of steel trap vs bird of prey?

Steel Trap isn’t taken for the damage. It’s taken for the extra CC vs melee. The damage is just a nice little bonus. Also, if you serpent sting someone inside it, it will not break the trap.

2 Likes

Steel trap can also be used more frequently against difficuly opponents. It’s damage often surpasses that of murder of crows.

How you like bloodseeker

1 Like

It doesn’t have the utility of steel trap. Also I just tested murder of crows in pvp. It doesn’t do as much as the tool tip says. Probably some pvp nerf from expansions ago. Steel trap does the same if not more.

2 Likes

Thoughts on bloodseeker

1 Like