Survival vote?

Are y’all failing to see the irony here? :sweat_smile: :clown_face:

Ridiculous argument. SV has had tuning ups and downs like every other spec. It’s damage is actually pretty good right now, especially in AoE for M+. There was even a time in BFA where it was the highest single-target damage spec in the game. It didn’t change anything. Its unpopularity is far out of proportion for its performance so performance is not enough to explain it.

Ranged SV didn’t need to be unquestionably the highest damage Hunter spec to be popular. It just needed to not be abjectly terrible.

You did just say that the main issue was damage, but I’ll roll with the indecision for a bit. SV can also have a pet tank for them and it also has mobility for mechanics. But you’re at least closer to the main reason Hunters don’t want to play SV: it’s melee.

The Hunter class has traditionally been 3 ranged specs and it has always been thematically, aesthetically, and mechanically rooted in ranged weapon combat. To this day you still start with a ranged weapon at level 1 so speccing SV at level 10 asks you to throw away the ranged weapon in favour of a melee one; a loss of capability upon picking a spec unlike any other spec. It feels like a downgrade and a handicap. Of course most players will shy away from it. It’s common sense.

Feral and Enhancement are melee specs that share a class with a ranged DPS spec: they are both far better established, have coherent identities, up against just one ranged DPS spec each, and exist in classes with a much better framework for supporting a melee spec (e.g. shapeshifting for Druids, melee weapons for Shamans). Even those specs have issues keeping players; so of course SV with none of those advantages is going to suffer.

Here’s my comment: I don’t give a damn what melee mains such as yourself and likely your brother say about Hunters. You clearly have an extreme bias against ranged Hunters and your appreciation of melee Hunters is likely at least part based in the sense that it’s getting back at ranged Hunters.

You’re a Rogue who never even posted on the Hunter forums until a few days ago, and I think it’s disgusting that Blizzard so heavily rewarded people like you. Hunters aren’t going to your class and demanding changes to cater to them over you, yet apparently the Hunter class is fair game for melee players to do exactly that.

What definition? Melee SV is a confused, directionless mess of different competing identities with no overarching plan. It’s the warrior/berserker that tears things apart in melee range, while also the close companion of the pet (as if we don’t already have a spec for this), while also throwing literal grenades and shooting poison arrows with a crossbow. There is no definition. There’s just a blend of every vaguely-related concept they could find for a melee Hunter.

Ranged SV was far more coherent and sensible than this, but melee brains will never admit that. All the pride and support of the decision to make Survival melee rests on the logic that while it indisputably condemned SV to be an unpopular spec it made it a unique and coherent spec in contrast to what it was before. Comprehending that it actually made SV’s identity worse and therefore there was no real justification for making SV melee is a truth too uncomfortable for melee fanatics so they prefer not to think about it.

4 Likes

And you are clearly someone who is not :smiley:

1 Like

I almost fell out of my chair… I love you Bepples, if for nothing more than all of the times Ghorak, Gromgarr, and others claim you never say things just like this. It may take a month or two, but the true you will always come through in the end.

1 Like

Current iteration of SV is the funnest I’ve had in wow in a long long time.

I love getting damage in from range, pop cd and harpoon in for big melee damage. It’s a very dynamic spec where
I have to balance a dot, grenades charges (favorite ability in the game) my stacking mongoose bites, and running wildfire infusion really makes it FUN. Sometimes i spam for a bleed sometimes i throw out poison bombs and other times i get an easy focus cap.

A lot going on, but all of it is super easy to track

3 Likes

Trough history there where hunter who hunted with spear. So hunters exist who hunt with spear.

I don’t have anything against ranged. I play mostly ranged classes. Right now I have only this rogue, warrior and SV hunter as melee. As well I have MM hunter on Alliance side (he is dwarf so I can’t imagine him being melee hunter) . My comments are not based on hate towards one spec or class, its based on opinion that SV hunter is under fire when its a fun spec to play for no reason. In all honestly simply because some edge cutting players on forums have their own bias. Yea it was nice to be able tow have all 3 specs being ranged and just choose which one to choose for certain content.

I found some warlods private server just to check again since its been 6 years and don’t come me with SV hunter had definition before legion. Same talents where for all 3 specs. Lol

h ttps://imgur.com/a/vSl24fp

I just meant talent tree, ofc MM hunter has his Aimed shoot and steady shot plus arcane shot like SV hunter.

You do know that the literal intent behind talent design, as a system, back then was that the talents should be shared across all 3 specs, don’t you? They did this as they thought the old talent-“tree” based system we had prior to MoP wasn’t a sustainable model, long-term. And with the initial rework of the system, they decided that talents should be class-wide options. WoD came with a select few talents being sort of unique depending on spec, but that was more due to practicality, over anything else.

The bottom line is that, for MoP and Warlords, the only part that should be compared, are the actual core specializations themselves. Not the talents, as they weren’t meant to add depth to individual spec fantasies/identities.

SV in WoD did not have Aimed Shot, nor Steady Shot.

Also, MM did not have Arcane Shot at the time.

1 Like

You act like I said something ridiculous or toxic. I said I don’t care for melee players coming over to the Hunter class and imposing their preferences while talking about how all Hunters are simple/sub-par players which is what Sinexes is doing.

This doesn’t change the fact that SV is defined as a handicapped Hunter. In fact it reinforces that fact. Hunters in real life largely moved on to ranged weapons for safety (i.e. survival), efficiency, and versatility. WoW’s SV is representing an earlier, worse form of Hunters… aside from the grenade throwing, of course, but never mind that I guess.

You’ve spent a great deal of time here implying that Hunters only want “keyboard faceroll” specs and that’s why they don’t like melee Survival. You also said in the GD thread that you don’t like BM and MM because they’re easy and Hunters are playing them, and you’re also currently talking about how much the Hunter forum sucks on a Warrior forum thread.

It’s pretty galling to be ranting about how Hunters want it easy when you evidently haven’t participated in an iota of competitive content, by the way.

Are you kidding? You have thread after thread full of people’s reasons.

I don’t like Survival because a) it replaced my favourite and main spec, b) Blizzard has wasted an enormous amount of time and effort on the spec at the expense of the rest of the class, c) it’s explicitly aimed at appealing to people other than Hunters and rewards people like you, and d) Survival is now always mostly avoided and abandoned and the only reason anyone finds that acceptable is because it’s been unpopular so long that people assume it was always like that.

Did you check any other class in the game? Talents were classwide for every class back then with a handful of exceptions (e.g. Lone Wolf for SV/MM v.s. Adaptation for BM). Great job on demonstrating you have no idea what you’re talking about, but I appreciate you going through the effort of actually checking the real state of the specs back then.

While you’re at it you should try out both SV and MM in PvE content. You should also check out a MoP server and note one key thing about SV that’s very different to how it is currently, and I’m not talking about being ranged. In MoP you’ll actually run into SV Hunters left and right. In fact most Hunters are playing it. It’s common to get raids with 3+ Hunters all of whom are SV. Now it’s rare to see any around at all. You’ll still pretend the spec got improved, though.

3 Likes

That’s a laughable example considering Mages can use daggers and swords, just like Gandalf in LOTR!

2 Likes

Just bring in Battle Mages.

What your GOLDEN? Have you transcended above us?

Your are a good parent. More parents need to find ways that they can spend time with their kids.

1 Like

You do the exact thing you claim to hate that he’s doing, and you’ve been doing it for six years. Pot meet kettle.

3 Likes

Bruenor is back to his old “No, you!” when he cant think of something reasonable.

1 Like

Okay white knight betty… why don’t you tell all of us what the difference is between Bepples saying he doesn’t care about someone’s opinion versus someone saying it to him? We’re all waiting with bated breath to see your slobbering defense of him.

4 Likes

If not caring about an opinion is so offensive to you maybe you are too easily offended.

What you actually say isn’t the point and is in no way relevant. You being a hypocrite is the entire point. As an aside, it’s also completely untrue that you don’t care since you write novellas to disagree with people.

4 Likes

You’ve spent past 6 years being offended that you lost a toy…

4 Likes

Gandalf and warcraft mages are known for their magical skills not sword skills.

LOTR would’ve been a very different story if Gandalf could open portals.

Gandalf and warcraft mages share an aesthetic that dominates every fantasy archetype, the inclusion of melee weapons. Only WoW’s BM and MM hunters have been restricted from having melee weapons as part of their aesthetic. Warcraft mages can equip daggers, swords, staves. Priests can equip daggers, staves, maces… warlocks…

There is no reason not to have melee weapons as part of the hunter aesthetic for all hunters. “Blablabla have to get two weapons…” yes… I know. Despite so many classes and specs also needing to get two weapons, or a weapon and a shield, or an offhand, we also could just make class specific weapon tokens at endgame, that cover both the ranged and melee weapon for hunters, both weapons for fury warriors, the weapon and shield for elemental shamans, the mace and offhand for priests. There is no reason we cant have weapon sets as personal loot options.

Just make SV ranged again and give ALL hunters melee weapons.