Survival Using 1-handed swords/axes?

Howdy!
We can all agree that hunters have gone through a ton of changes, some good, some not so much. As for me, I really enjoyed MM in Legion and have no idea why the changed it for this expansion😑. Back to the point of making this post, I personally would like to see survival be allowed to use 1-handed swords, axes, and even daggers, not just 2-handers. I think it plays more into the fantasy of the class and I also think they should just change the spec name to “Ranger” rather than “Survival”. These are just some personal opinions of my own that I wish I could change it too but I’m open to hear everyone else’s opinion. Thanks😁

4 Likes

Similar to Arms Titangrip, give Survival the option for dual wielding in a talent. Faster attacks and maybe allow both weapons to strike with mongoose/raptor strike? A return of Counterstrike AND make it useful for PvP?

I think the reason why we haven’t and most likely won’t see dual wielding is because of balancing. Let alone people will just choose whichever is the superior option in most cases.

3 Likes

Let SV use a bow and I will play it.

12 Likes

I will up vote this blood elf 100 times.

So essentially, let it go back to a ranger spec or rather, have the main abilities be used with a bow?

3 Likes

Dual wielding should just be a transmog option for it. That would keep it simple.

6 Likes

That’s an excellent point and one that I should have thought of from the beginning. It would work easily I believe.

Doesn’t really make sense to me. Who hunts with a sword or axe?

1 Like

Rexxar’s been doing it for over a decade.

5 Likes

Rich European nobles before the first world war.

2 Likes

Gross
 SV is a budget outlaw rogue.

#MSVRA Make survival ranged again

5 Likes

I have played Survival and Outlaw Rogue exclusively throughout BFA and mained Outlaw throughout Legion. While both classes mix ranged/melee and have some similar themes they feel quite different from eachother.

For me personally Survival feels stronger and is generally easier to play. Outlaw’s rotation can be quite spastic and it has big swings in energy regeneration. To me Survival has a smoother playstyle. Even the RNG of Survival is more streamlined because you can see the color of your bomb before you throw it if talented into wilfire infusion.

That’s just my opinion though. If Survival had the cleave and defensive cooldowns of Outlaw it would be the perfect spec.

1 Like

Agreed mine too. I am a fanboy of the old SV until they nerfed it into the ground and tried to bring back the frankenstein version of vanilla it is today. I remember when they had multishot blackarrow in a PTR build
 After that, I knew they couldn’t possibly balance the spec so they did away with it.

1 Like

Make survival truly unique. Let a ranged weapon take up the “offhand” slot and be used in the serpent sting animation. Then we single-wield a one-handed weapon in melee combat. Give us access to glaives while you’re at it and my troll shadow hunter fantasy will be complete. Would allow for night elf sentinels as well.

2 Likes

Are you referring to the Archimonde trinket?

That could have been such a big deal for ranged Survival. What could have been

No, it was a legit Multishot Blackarrow. It was too OP, it was never going to survive. I feel like MOP area. I had some back and forth with Ghostcrawler at the time. So maybe it was towards the end, def pre WOD.

Exactly lol

Personally I won’t play survival till they make it ranged again. If they don’t, I still have 2 other specs to play.

3 Likes

This, so this.

2 Likes

Just looked it up. You’re right! Black Arrow was going to work similarly to Powershot; it would apply to every enemy between you and the target.

https://www.engadget.com/2012/02/23/scattered-shots-new-hunter-mop-talent-updates/

That sounds awesome. I wonder why this didn’t make it to live? That means in both MoP and WoD they were preparing major, very interesting changes to SV but just went back on them before the testing process. This is what frustrated me about the whole “there was no way to differentiate MM and SV!”. There were unique mechanics being suggested and being implemented for SV all the time. Blizzard just rarely if ever followed through on them.

The trinket I was talking about made Black Arrow reset often, meaning you could multidot with it and get inundated with Lock and Load procs. It’s clear that Black Arrow multidotting was the path forward for ranged SV.

1 Like