Survival needs more passives

I’m going to ignore the fact that we need a talent rework and just point this one out

We have 1 passive and that’s our mastery

We lose 2 passives for lowering the CD on wildfire bomb and 120 focus

Can we at the very least get these baseline and a new passive that gives us focus and doesn’t tie us down to stacking haste or die

5 Likes

It’s honestly sad how incredibly barebones the spec is when you take talents out of the equation. The only two interactions the spec has are Kill Command resets, and in AoE situations Carve reducing the cooldown of Wildfire Bomb.

It’d be nice if Raptor Strike and Serpent Sting did something besides damage. They’re two of the most bland, uninspired spells in the game at the moment.

I totally agree and I feel Blizzard has forgotten the true identity of Survival as masters of traps. They need to drop the clunky pet mechanics, because it’s tedious and too reliant on gear. There’s actually a really simple solution:

• Damage over time effects recharge focus
  • Bring back explosive shot and Lock & Load
  • Bring back Legion’s trap mastery
  • Bring back Legion’s trap setup bonuses
  • Bring back more trap variety
  • Dual wielding for faster combat
  • Wyvern sting
  • Snake trap that applies all our stings, including PvP talent stings

DoTs recharging our focus free us up to perform our actual moves instead of a sluggish, irritating, grind with kill command. We’re supposed to be masters of our environment, poisons, and traps, with a flexible ranged and melee fighting style, not some dumbed down Rexxar wannabe. On that note, Rexxar is the quintessential Beast Master, not Survival. They could use a melee option if anything.

1 Like

Jesus man I don’t know about that much work I’d just like some passives and seriously my kindbinds are beyond full in the prepatch, I have 2 binds left open I can’t handle no more

Well one thing they need to do is get rid of kill command and use dots, that’s already one key freed up, and trap mastery, trap bonuses, dual wielding are all passive. Snake trap is 4 stings in one, so that frees up at least 3 keys because Serpent Sting still needs its own. Personally, I just want Survival to be Survival again. We’re supposed to be like Rambo or Dutch (Predator), not a poor man’s Rexxar.

id be all for more dots. even like old explosive shot with mini explosions. more bleeds, poisons, explosions the better

1 Like

3 dots are more than enough tyvm.

Wilderness survival/blur of talons would be nice as passives to get

Passives don’t necessarily need to be separate “abilities” in the spellbook. Many of them are rolled in baseline (ex. Kill Command’s reset chance, which could easily be a separate passive without altering gameplay in the slightest).

So, is your beef that there simply aren’t enough icons in your spellbook? Or is it that there doesn’t seem to be sufficient interaction/synergy/dynamics to the rotation baseline? If the former, that seems…well, trite. If the latter, I definitely get it, and agree, but that’s not really a “don’t have enough passives” problem as it is “don’t have enough rotational interactions” problem.

Carve still lowers the CD on Wildfire Bomb. It’s a rank 2 at level 32, just as it is a rank 2 at level 62 right now.

I’m talking more about the two azerite traits we are about to lose that smooth out the rotation and make it feel like liquid to play

Ah, borrowed power. Well, ya, that’s a thing. Unfortunately, everyone’s losing it because Blizzard is so fixated on these “systems”. To be fair, though, other classes are seeing a much more significant gameplay impact from losing that borrowed power, as it was often rotation-defining for them:

• Havoc’s Eyes of Rage + Furious gaze combo defines their gameplay right now.
  • Balance’s interaction with VoP and Streaking Stars is a substantial piece of their rotational gameplay.
  • Fire’s interaction with Lucid Dreams (and bracers, if you grab them) has a huge impact on their cooldown window.
  • Haste stacking via corruption, plus Shrouded Suffocation, has literally flipped the dominant Assassination build from the prior Toxic Blade setup to a bleed-based Exsanguinate setup.
  • Prot warrior’s interaction between VoP, Deafening Crash, Unstoppable Force, and Anger Management defines their entire gameplay loop atm.
  • BM’s interaction between crit corruptions, One with the Pack, and Dance of Death is rotationl-defining, and VoP + Primal Instincts is also extremely significant to their gameplay (especially since VoP triggers the Barbed Shot charge too).
  • Destruction’s entire rotation is largely defined by Grimoire of Supremacy + VoP right now.

Sure, SV lost some bonus focus cap and some Wildfire Bomb CDR (though only the latter of the two really has substantial rotational impact in most cases), but they aren’t losing their core gameplay loop from losing essences, corruption, and traits.

At least Latent Poison, one of the more popular traits (though not exactly gameplay impacting, at least in ST), is at least coming back as a leggo. Oh, and the CDR is sorta coming back via Rylakstalkers, giving RS/MB a 10% chance to just straight reset Wildfire Bomb’s CD. Since that’s 18s of CD per WFB charge, that actually averages to 1.8s per cast, almost twice the benefit of the existing 1s reduction (though RNG, so obviously more feast/famine).

Anyway, ya, I get it. This cycle of building up borrowed power each expansion, only to have it all ripped out from under us like a rug on the stairs when the prepatch hits, really isn’t fun. And Blizzard really has just straight up ignored SV for the most part during the beta >.>