Survival just feels like melee bm

A resourceful ranger hunter that uses all manner of melee weapons, bombs, traps, and some ranged weapons to take down foes. If you read the little blurb that comes up when you click the talent window itll tell you. But go ahead and reduce survival because it uses kill command and you have a hard time being creative.

5 Likes

The thing that I’ve always found confusing about this ranged survival argument is this. If it was so good. If it was so amazing. If it was so popular. Why did it get changed? Is this some Q level conspiracy. Jet fuel can’t melt ranged beams?

6 Likes

We don’t know why blizzard actually changed rsv, their stated reasoning of too much thematic overlap with mm falls apart when their solution was to just copy and steal from bm and then slap a bomb on it.

10 Likes

My guy there are two pet incorporated abilities. You are being disingenuous.

6 Likes

By the same logic, saying SV is a Hunter/Pet team is disingenuous.

2 Likes

If spamming Mongoose Bite is so bad why is Blizzard going back to it?

Blizzard makes mistakes sometimes - increasingly often as of late. And they tend to double down on their mistakes in the face of criticism.

Ranged SV shared less than that with MM but just using a ranged weapon is enough for you to call it “MM with exploding arrows”.

11 Likes

Pvp its more you/pet combo.

What ARE you talking about. We really gonna play semantics as to why one of the specs of the pet class has a few pet related abilities.

2 Likes

Meanwhile having two separate specs, both focusing on the use of ranged weapons, in a class with a common class fantasy of ranged weapons, apparently was unthinkable. And naturally had to be “fixed”…

9 Likes

I feel like the only way to fix this community would be to add ranged survival as a 4th spec, then everybody would be happy and we could actually provide feedback/have conversations instead of all this arguing. IMO

9 Likes

I didn’t pay attention to whom you were responding. My bad.

I love being a melee pet user. Survival works for me. BM may or may not be more appropriate but whatever. If they were to switch BM to be melee I’d probably switch to BM.

Also…I enjoy my Unholy DK too. Melee pet user too.

2 Likes

You whine about Bepples derailing posts. Then call them out, and then complain about them showing up. Then move the focus on Bepples complaining about SV cause you said they would.

5 Likes

Fair point, still doesn’t address the question I asked. You speak of ranged survival like it was a cornerstone of wow. Why did they get rid of it? Can’t be just “oops”, wrong button, oh well, roll with it.

Mongoose spam is terrible. I’m remaining for the first time in 15 years because of that choice. Still won’t find me here ever supporting your toxic survival movement. I thought you quit retail for classic anyway?

3 Likes

It does address it, though. They made a mistake. A bad decision. They thought they could make an improvement but both their idea and execution were bad. It happens a lot and it’s amplified by their aversion to feedback.

Blizzard deciding to do something is not in itself merit for any direction or proof of any supposed issue they highlight. For example, in Legion they made it way more expensive to switch talents in tiers (requiring an expensive Inscription craft rather than a cheap reagent off a vendor) because apparently people were “changing talents too often”. That’s obviously a fake issue that no one was genuinely concerned about nor did it negatively affect the game, on top of the whole point of talent tiers over trees in the first place being to facilitate frequent talent switching, but that’s what they went with. They also nerfed camera zoom in the same patch because they didn’t like people zooming out so far that they couldn’t see their characters and their cool new animations. Stupid and pointless changes, but they did it.

Blizzard’s own reasoning for changing Survival was that they thought it was too similar to MM, primarily in identity. But as we’ve seen this is a poor argument. Even if you ignore all the key differences and argue that there was too much similarity (and the same standards would call into question other specs in the game like Warlocks, Rogues, and Warriors), that doesn’t mean that making the spec melee was the best way to approach it or even a good and effective way. The fact that the spec now leans heavily on what used to be BM’s unique identity helps to show that it wasn’t a good approach.

Yes for now I will only be playing WotLK classic; primarily because a) this was in the game’s improvement phase especially when it comes to Hunters (so I can expect it to get better over time for a few years rather than having to anticipate it getting worse) and b) it’s easier to stay casual and not have to spend too much time on it. I’ll try Dragonflight at some point but not in the near future.

7 Likes

WhAt Do YoU MeAn? MeNdInG BaNdAgE ThE PvP TaLeNt, ThAt Is UnIqUe To SuRvIvAl. ThAt Is OuR IdEntItY.

1 Like

It becoming a melee range hybrid ranger.

A combatant that will use poison, bombs and traps while weaving into melee and ranged combat.

What traps? SV has 0 specific bonuses to traps. That part of its identity is lost.

3 Likes

A good question, that has never been convincingly answered. It wasn’t because players were unhappy with the Class.
The spec was NOT amazing, but neither was Marks or Beast Master. All three specs WERE good, in that abilities and Talents worked as they should, and there was flexibility through Talent selection and Glyphs to build a Toon to excel at whatever you might want to do. The Hunter Class was a good Class, and it was easily the most played Class in the game, with BeastMasters being the biggest group, in Class and Game. While always smaller than BM, both MM and RSV showed a better-than-mid-line average number of players.
The Hunter specs were all good, and some Hunters could play their chosen specs amazingly well.
None of this explains why Blizz did what they did.
There was a 4th group of Hunters in the game, a group that vanished almost completely when the pre-Legion Hunter Class changes took place. While never a spec, they did have a name and a sizeable population, they were the Huntards, and rarely now is one seen. Hmmm…
MM has been dumbed down a fair bit too, so I am sure they didn’t ALL become RSV players. :smirk:

No. We just don’t want to lose the melee aspect. It should get some changes but the class needs to stay melee.