Survival Hunter Rework Suggestion (Detailed)

Reading the other forums to see if this could fit anywhere else, I’m disappointed in the amount of people wanting surv to be a tank spec… that would ruin it waaaaaay more, I promise xD

Put a lot of thought into this suggestion. Give your thoughts, modifications, additions, gripes etc. below so I can develop this idea further~

Necessity:
The newest melee version of Survival (SV) hunter is by no means unenjoyable or unplayable. The fantasy was a hunter spec more akin to Rexxar, who relied heavily on a flurry of devastating melee blows that worked in conjunction with his pets while inflicting harsh bleeds and poisons to finish off the enemy even in the event of a retreat. He’s a master of traps, beasts, and fortitude in melee combat, and I believe the current SV spec does that well enough.

I do believe, however, there’s another way to go about SV that keeps the feel and flavor of Rexxar’s unique style while adding enough individuality to hold survival out as it’s own clearly distinguished spec that feeds into a slightly different, yet widely desired fantasy for SV; a fantasy that I, and perhaps others, have an even stronger desire for than Rexxar’s distinct style.

Class fantasy:
A master in the art of preparation, the SV hunter lies hidden at a distance. As their target(s) approach and trigger their trap, carefully chosen for their specific target, the hunter and their pet fly into quick action, the pet immediately engaging the enemy who’s currently struggling with the trap. The hunter, however, maintains distance enough to bombard the enemy with a variety of toxins and specially designed shots to increase the target’s vulnerability. The hunter, seeing an opening in the opponent, then launches their harpoon toward the enemy, releasing a specialized bomb as they launch themselves on top of the enemy, unleashing a wild frenzy of increasingly devastating blows in conjunction with the pet’s continued shredding of the enemy’s health. The target hardly knew what hit it before it had died, and even if it had survived longer, the hunter was more than capable of quickly disengaging and weakening the target further.

Application:
This proposed SV hunter works as a master of weaving in and out of melee range, setting a trap onto the enemy while the pet distracts and holds the target’s attention. While at range, the hunter now prepares the target, laying on dots and casting a specialized ability that for the sake of ease we’ll say is Serpent Sting (SS) but with a modest initial damage boost and a stacking 15% speed reduction and dot. The initial cast of this specialized SS will also grant 1-2 (3 on a crit) stacks of what we’ll call Preparation. The hunter then engages in melee, using Harpoon to consume the stacks of Preparation to grant them Coordinated Assault (CA), the potency and duration of which are dependent on the amount of Preparation stacks consumed. Mongoose bite then deals increasingly devastating damage to the enemy for as long as the hunter can remain on target. When CA expires, the hunter then disengages from the enemy (using the spell itself or even slowing the enemy so the hunter can manually gather distance) to start to rebuild the stacks and re-up dots/affects.

Execution:
This is a hybrid ramping spec with 2 different ramp-up times, one at range to build Preparation stacks and once when first engaging in melee before Mongoose Bite can build up to it’s damage potential. We’ll call these phases “Prep” and “Engage” or Prp and Eng phases.

Prp:
The Prp phase holds many aspects to it that can work with talents to specialize the flavor the hunter wishes to go for. As stated previously, the Proposed SS change would have to do several things:
1.) Apply a stacking dot
2.) Apply a stacking slow (can be built into the dot)
3.) Grant a stack of Preparation
4.) Deal just enough damage that you don’t feel useless while gaining stacks

An alternate to using SS can be making Mongoose Bite (MB) a permanently ranged ability that applies the stacking slow and gives stacks of preparation. At ranged, MB could look like the Aspect of the Eagle shots (or a mongoose variant) and at melee, you can give it it’s proper animations. If you’re worried about the spec then becoming fully ranged, where harpoon is only used to consume the stacks then book it, then only add the damage rampup component in melee range.

Another alternate is to modify Concussive Shot (CS) to:
1.) Cause your pet to attack the target for a small amount of damage
2.) Apply a stacking slow
3.) Grant a stack of preparation
This may also work if Preparation stacks are tied into Kill Command, and simply have the above Concussive shot cause your pet to use Kill Command on the target granting 1-2 stacks (3 on crit.)

Either way, the end goal is to spend the Prp phase trapping, dotting, slowing, and gaining stacks. My idea would be to use Wildfire Bomb (WfB) as a transition tool you can launch while harpooning that will give you a default dot but varying effects based on a talent row that change/improve your Eng phase.

Eng:
Eng Phase starts when you harpoon into a target, consuming all your Preparation stacks and dealing devastating damage to the enemy. Coordinated Assault may have to be adjusted to determine what specific buffs should be given per stack of Preparation. Options may include:
1.) Similar to how it is now, a raw damage buff
2.) A haste/Focus regen buff
3.) Pet Attacks deal secondary damage scaling with stacks
And really any other examples. It needs to be a buff that players have to make a choice: should they wait just a little longer to get even more worthwhile benefit from CA or should they just engage immediately and press the damage they already have. This gives players control and adaptiveness to the situation.

Multiple targets means the hunter would probably want to stay in Prp phase a little longer, applying dots and building up stacks. Multi-target is also the reason the hunter should get a preparation buff as opposed to the enemy getting a debuff.

Talents and spell changes:
WfB could, as it currently is, aid in AOE damage in a few different ways in addition to its initial dot:
1.) WfB causes nearby targets to take a portion of the damage dealt to your main target
2.) WfB’s dot could increase in length and potency depending on the number of Preparation stacks consumed
3.) WfB could apply a debuff to all effected targets which could
a. Slow their attack/casting speed
b. Reduce their damage dealt
c. Cause them to take more damage from all sources
This could be implemented as a talent row where you get to choose the usefulness of WfB for the content you want or the specific enemies you intend to face.

SS itself could have its own talent row, changing what sort of dot damage you would prefer to do such as:
1.) Applying SS to multiple targets
2.) SS increases the dot damage the targets take (for making burst more devastating)
3.) SS can only be applied to 1 target, but deals much heavier damage

Kill Command would be able to function as regular as normal, perhaps adding a talent row that could choose once more how you’d prefer to flavor your spec:
1.) KC applies a bleed on the target
2.) KC grants/increases the amount of Preparation stacks you have
3.) KC returns additional focus

Traps would have to be changed as well, with the hunter having the option to set their main “opener trap” for specific scenarios. We could imagine the default “Tar Trap” as the main opener trap, perhaps giving the hunter a small damage boost against targets afflicted. Talents/additional traps could be:
1.) Built-in soulforge embers, dealing low-dps widespread dot damage to everyone in the trap
2.) Snake Trap which works with RNG to summon a random combination of poison snakes, slowing snakes, and damage snakes that attack random nearby targets for a short duration.
3.) Steel trap, stunning the enemy caught in it for several seconds and applying a long-lasting bleed.
4.) Slows enemy attack speed significantly while within the trap (much like the pvp talent)
5.) Incendiary trap except it’s AOE and flares for extra damage when WfB is used

Mongoose bite needs to be baked into the spec. Enemies have to feel heavy pressure the longer they stay contained by the SV hunter.

Arenas:
This is most important in arenas where SV is known for its ST pressure and consistent damage. With this flavor of hunter, you can guarantee at least one enemy will be slowed for the entire duration of the arena battle, allowing the hunter to easily control 1 target and maintain bleeds/dots for spread and cleave pressure.

The drawback in arenas will be the same as it always has been: hunters die inside stuns very easily. Hunters take a lot of damage and struggle to bring themselves back up. Hunters have a rough time without their pets. While this style would give them a heavy advantage in 2’s, it’s not completely unheard of to ruin a burst phase through stuns or proper use of immunities. Seeing as this style is still ramp-up and still requires melee range to execute most of their damage, they’re going to have an incredibly difficult time against non-trapped targets (rogues, paladins, druids etc.) and heavy melee hitters (warriors, dk’s).

Mythic+:
SV has an almost (almost) non-existent presence in M+ right now due to several drawbacks. Melee has a lot of a rougher time with some of the dungeons and affixes, SV is the least-performing when compared to the AOE of other specs. Even their single-target burst, where they’re supposed to shine, is currently heavily outplayed by Marksman.
This proposed version of SV fits in perfectly with the quick, heavy burst of the current meta, able to rampup heavy damage and execute it in a restrained time period. The ability to be a hybrid melee/range allows the hunter to now be able to readily escape melee damage without completely shutting down their rotation.
Most importantly, their niche, heavy single-target sustain, is well-preserved, with the hunter being able to weave in and out of mechanics while still maintaining damage on the target and regularly bursting.

Raids:
SV isn’t particularly bad at raids right now, it’s just outshined by its competing specs and their ease. Because SV is still pretty single-target focused, it makes SV a nice and consistent dps spec that can compete on bosses. Unfortunately, however, it tends to fall off very quickly when compared to other specs with large groups of adds or mechanics that force you away from the boss.

This proposed rework would keep SV on the same mobility track as it’s spec counterparts while still maintaining the single-target devastation that SV is known for. Beyond that, with Harpoon as the bursting ability, it allows survival to quickly and easily swap to priority adds and burst them down as well as regularly time damage boosts in conjunction with fights like Sludgefist. They’ll still struggle with large aoe-damage mid-fight, but far less severely as you can apply dots and bleeds, swap regularly, and maintain highly mobile throughout the fight.

This spec rework would let SV hunters fill the niche of a hybrid melee/ranged spec while giving a new, fresh flavor to the old, desired style while introducing new class mechanics that still preserve the ideologies, strengths, and designed weaknesses that SV brings to the table. With this change, SV will guaranteed have a higher play-rate and fill a spot in every bit of content as the utility, burst, and mobility of the spec will put it competitively within the best members of any team.

1 Like

People swore up and down that melee Survival would see a lot of play for “being unique” and it didn’t materialise. A hybrid melee/ranged spec is still ultimately worse than just being ranged and no amount of uniqueness is going to make most Hunters compromise away the ranged combat they came to the class to enjoy.

2 Likes

I agree! I hold no arguments that a fully ranged Surv would simply outright fix certain issues. This is a suggestion for if blizz wants to keep Surv away from being a fully ranged spec.

These changes add a more ranged component to Surv, allowing for a smoother, more impactful rotation while at range and naturally integrating utility to the base playstyle. While Surv may just be better as a full ranged, even slightly more/better implemented ranged would be a small improvement.

Would you have any suggestions in regards to how this proposed spec might be more practical to implement?

You mean all like 3 people who don’t play hunter that came to the forums to talk about tanking?

What did you read 1 post and have an epiphany?

Also the spec already pretty much has its foundation.

They will either tweak it or eventually get RSV or both. Just a matter of time.

I don’t think anybody is looking to recreate the wheel again. Look where it got us.

1 Like

It does have it’s foundation, and I believe Blizz is a bit too prideful to ever convert it to a ranged spec again. This was just a suggestion I spent some time thinking over to try and ease the melee/utility limitations of current surv in the form of a rework as opposed to small tweaks.

Do you have any suggestions you’d think would improve this idea to be more applicable?

Yeah just scroll down the forums

I appreciate the input of the forums - there’s a lot of good and not so good suggestions!

I was wondering if you specifically had any idea on what might improve this specific design, however!

There isn’t. As long as it’s melee it will continue to be niche. Hybrid…whatever you want to call it.

Actually I lie. If they made it incredibly overpowered then the meta slaves would play it if it was top.

I understand… It’s a disappointing state I hope Blizz will fix at some point, but until then I’ll wait avidly!

Thank you for your help, though! I’m glad I covered everything in my idea well enough that you couldn’t think of a change to make!

None needed. It’ll stay with its foundation or go back RSV which was very popular.

1 Like

Mayhaps Ion will peruse the forums and see an idea for a 4th spec he likes!

Let me have this. I want to dream so everyone wins. Pls blizz.

2 Likes

Interesting write-up. There’s a lot of stuff in it, a lot of possibilities. That could be a problem. A lot of stuff means many possible interactions, which means complexity.
Blizz doesn’t seem to be interested in complex Classes.
Survival and single target damage… Has something changed, all I’ve read lately is they make a poor showing, while doing acceptable AOE.
As an aside, MM Hunters aren’t all that amazing with Single Targets.

I hope it does. I really do.

As much as I’ve fantasized about adding 4th specs to every class, I don’t believe that’s a direction Blizz will go based on the principal that “The more choice a player has, the less likely they are to make a meaningful one.” or basically… if you have too many “specs” to choose from, you’ll end up with even more people simply choosing the one with the highest dps because it wouldn’t matter as much.

Interesting. Because to me it’s more meaningful choice.

2 Likes

It can be boiled down to a basic ramping spec, if you want simplicity. Build up charges of Preparation, consume them for a temporary buff. If you’re referring to the complexity of implementing a new spec, however, then yeah. This would be a suggestion viable only if blizz wanted to put in the effort to rework the spec once again, at which point maybe this information could provide an idea!

A lot of Surv damage is just a bit lackluster when compared to other specs. Surv ST isn’t necessarily bad, it just fails to compete with other specs that have a way easier time tunneling on one particular target. At least in PvE. In PvP surv puts out some really nice pressure on ST and cleave, but once again it’s just not as good as arms warrior or ret pally on being able to crank out the pressure.

The right multitarget build can be devastating with surv, but again compared to other specs like unhdk that have practically limitless aoe damage, it’s a lot harder to get the same amount of damage done. Especially when compared to say BM that, while they can’t aoe burst as hard in most occasions, absolutely have a cake rotation, all the utility benefits of a ranged, and can continue to deal heavy damage when stunned or pulled from the boss.

Post-nerf, MM is having a bit of a rough time of it. However, while more complex than BM, MM will still get more dps ST and MT for less effort than Surv has to put in for similar performance.

Would you suggest anything I might be able to add or change to the post that could shore up these observations or any other weaknesses you can see from a design standpoint?

It really doesn’t matter to me if it’s a likely outcome or not. It is the only acceptable thing moving forward. Blizz decided to delete an incredibly popular spec for something they have admitted they knew most hunters would have no interest in. And in doing so, they set a terrible precedent that they can and will delete specs if they want to add something new in whether it makes sense to or not.

I think current SV has enough thematic legitimacy and gameplay to merit it continuing to exist despite its lack of popularity. That said, how it was implemented was absolutely the wrong choice and the only way blizz is ever going to remedy that and remotely appease a significant portion of the hunter community without throwing out current SV is by making a 4th spec.

I think the fear of them not doing so shouldn’t be a deterrent for arguing for what is right moving forward with the class. If players don’t argue for it, then it’s of course never going to happen.

As for the meaningful choices, I absolutely disagree, though there’s two mindsets within the player base. Playing what is most optimal, and at which point it doesn’t matter how many specs there are since they will chase whatever is performing the best in their class. And then I think there are plenty of players who play what they want as far as gameplay or thematics are concerned.

The first is a meaningful choice but certainly isn’t an interesting choice IMO. The second is also still meaningful but also interesting as it sets the player apart from others about how they wish to play the class.

The thing is, the first player can still work within the parameters of more specs (they will keep chasing the highest performer anyway). Where as the 2nd player cannot necessarily get what they want if we work with less choices (since the spec they may want doesn’t exist to play).

Having more choices as far as specs go is good for the players. The only “loser” (I use that term loosely, wish I could think of a better word atm) in this is blizz who requires more work. But then, they also can’t really seem to achieve balance anyway as is, so if we’re not going to be balanced we might as well let people have what they actually want instead of removing choice, which is what blizz did.

I know this is mostly off topic concerning your actual OP, so I apologize for that, but figured it merited an explanation based on your reply.

For a lot of us it would be a more meaningful choice! That’s why I advocate for it~

It wouldn’t be us, however, that blizz is worried about (as they tend to focus a lot on non-issues.) It would be the people who log in, simply want to go in on a class/spec and kill things and do stuff… no investment into the character.

As an extreme example:
If they had 2 specs to choose from, they would probably put just a little bit of thought behind what sort of playstyle they wanted to go in as, assuming the DPS was about the same. Like maybe one particular playstyle happens to resonate with the individual more.

Now let’s say you have 5 specs, each with wildly varying playstyles. Well… the person hopping in to just get some stuff done now probably doesn’t care which spec does which, since there’s no practical way to tell which spec might suit him best. As a result, he does a quick google search, chooses the spec that pulls ahead in dps by 0.5% because that’s “meta” and ends up with a playstyle he doesn’t really enjoy or resonate with.

While those people shouldn’t be the focus of blizz’s efforts, they’re always focused on the wrong thing… and they’ve made changes appealing to the minority at the expense of the majority before.

I agree with you! Wholeheartedly! I would love more variance in my ability to customize my playstyle! Many many players would. The term I used was one I heard in an interview at some point a few years ago with a blizz staff. The mindset for blizz would be effectively saying “we don’t want to invest time into a spec that won’t be played if it just so happens to perform worse” without realizing that they wouldn’t be making a new spec for those people that would do that… They’d be making the spec for people like us, who would enjoy the extra agency.

I do appreciate you asking for my input, and also your good manners.
I can’t/won’t make suggestions on how the spec should play, as it’s not my spec. I haven’t spent more than 4 hrs in the spec, old or new, combined. Unlike some, lol, I don’t feel qualified after 4 hrs of play.
It is a Hunter spec, and so, as a Hunter, I think ALL Hunters should have ranged weapons, pets, and traps. Good fortune to you.