Ok, I’ve seen a million topics on survival hunter, discussing changes and reversions, etc. So I decided to write down what I thought to be the most sensible changes going into 9.1, that also wouldn’t necessitate an entire rework of the spec.
- Focus Regen is absolutely horrible, which is why I believe that either it should get a baseline buff, or Flanking Strike should be made baseline for an additional focus generator tool.
- Survival Hunter’s damage is meant to be consistent, with no burst, unlike any other spec in the game, which features some burst windows, I think Coordinated assault should have a secondary stat buff as well to make the cooldown burstier, preferably a 15-20% haste increase for the duration.
- Serpent Sting needs to last AT LEAST as long as the Mongoose Fury buff, so 2 seconds longer.
- For a spec called survival, there isn’t many survival cooldowns, aside from turtle and tenacity pets, which all hunters have access to, we have no true DRs. I think a cooldown playing off of our mastery, Spirit Bond would be good, where it either buffs the regen rate for 10 seconds, or shunts 30-50% of dmg taken to our pet for 10 seconds.
- Survival’s talent tree is unfair, as there are two choices at higher gear levels, that are basically locked in, Guerrilla Tactics, and Mongoose Bite. Mongoose Bite being baseline once again would be preferable, and Wildfire Bomb should deal the 100% increased dmg baseline. The two charges aren’t very viable in a birds of prey build and as such should remain talent-tied.
- One way to increase Survival’s single target damage, where it noticeably lags far behind others, is to have Raptor/Mongoose Bite, decrease Bomb cd by 1 second. At high haste levels this means a bomb roughly every 5 seconds in single target, which is a significant improvement over one every 12. This may have negative interactions with one of their legendaries, but this is intended more for Mythic+ tyrannical weeks.
- Wildfire Infusion is in my opinion one of the most interactive talents in the game, it requires actual thought to plan out what you’ll be doing with each bomb, which is why I wish it rewarded you a little more. Volatile bomb is awesome to use in AOE when everything is serpent stinged, and Pheromone bomb is a great help for focus regen, especially during a mongoose fury window, but Shrapnel bomb’s bleed is rather underwhelming, aside from the synergy with Bloodseeker, its negligible damage on a short duration DoT which does less damage per tick at three stacks than serpent sting, this should be buffed to actually reward a player for managing to get 3 bites/strikes off in such a short window.
- Something I’ve noticed while playing WoW is that almost every spec in the game has some kind of RNG-based proc that either helps their rotation along, or smooths out the class. (Frost mages, have Ice Lance procs, Enh shammies have Stormbringer procs…etc.) Survival lacks this, you can talent into the Serpent Sting proc talent, Viper’s Venom. But it feels rather bad to use when your refreshing your serpent sting early. I think there should be a proc that buffs Carve/Raptor/Mongoose, the proc should change based on the ability you press, for Carve it deals 50% increased dmg and reduces bomb CD by an additional second, for Raptor Strike/Mongoose Bite it deals 30% increased dmg and also extends Serpent Sting by 6 seconds.
That’s all I got for now, thoughts?