Surprising results from Ancestry

So, I was wonder if anyone has gotten surprising results from their Ancestry DNA test? I just got my results back a few weeks ago.

I was told that on my dad’s side my Great Grandfather was Italian and my other Great Grandfather on my dad’s side was half Italian. I have a very Italian last name. However, according to Ancestry I was only 1% Italian. My dad recently found out that his grandfather who he thought was Italian was French…I’m not sure about my other Great Grandfather, but I’m assuming he most likely was not half Italian.

I also found out that I’m 3% Norwegian, but the biggest surprise was I’m 2% Japanese. At first I thought the tests may be wrong, but my sister’s results are very similar to mine. It has the Norwegian and Japanese. It’s actually kind of cool to think that some of my ancestors might have been Vikings and Samurai.

The rest of the results were expected. 52% English/Welsh and 36% Irish/Scottish, and 6% French.

1 Like

10% Italian and 5% Spanish stood out the most to me. I always thought I was primarily English/Irish, and it was interesting to see the results! Truth be told, the English/Irish only made up about 25%!

1 Like

I am mildly curious about such services but do not plan to use one because I don’t trust what they might ultimately do with my personal data. So I just go with what my birth certificate says, and with what little info I hear from cousins/whoever who are into that stuff. Frankly, I wish folks that came before had written down some of the story of their lives and passed those down. That would have been way more interesting than seeing what kind of “different bloods” are apparently running through my veins.

1 Like

I thought like that but I figured the Government already knows basically everything about us. Government isn’t much different than a corporation. So, what the hell.

1 Like

You have a good point, lol. I should’ve added I did not intend to be a downer on your thread - just “had to” add some rambly first thoughts. The topic is definitely interesting. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

It’s all good. You never know. Down the road I may regret giving them my DNA.

My mom did some DNA testing and she saw that her side of the family is like 60% Irish/Scottish/Welsh, 20% Scandinavian, and 9% British/Northern French and 2% other (especially Indian from India).
My Dad’s side is mostly Spanish, principally Basque from northeastern spain and southwestern france in Basque country.

My sister is really into that stuff. We grew up knowing that our family had
Indian in its blood. My sister did one of those, and the results were we
had very little, if any, Indian in our family.

Indian like from the nation of India or Native American?

Native American

Your real name is Elizabeth Warren isn’t it? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That is very common, if you watch the show “Finding Your Roots.”

It is especially common for African Americans to think that they have Native American genes, only to find out they have none. Many are also more “white” than they thought.

1 Like

Well I’m very white so as expected

Approximately

86% English
6% Welsh irish Scottish
5% “Iberian peninsula”
2% Finland
1% Nigerian

I want to do this. Bills get in the way, however.

I’m 31% Gnome, but that’s a “you are what you eat” thing.

1 Like

1 percent Nigerian? (above poster.)

This got me thinking, I wonder as a totally white looking person (not just historically “passing”) what DNA percentage of an “African Only Race” would qualify you for claiming “minority African American Status?”

That article is interesting, basically saying the Census allows you to pick what you identify as.

So, since I’m 2% Japanese, I can claim minority status?

Oh yeah i remember taking that one. My ancestory is like 30 odd percent South African.

I have never been to South Africa , guess i got to plan a trip when i can :rofl:

Native Black South African or the White Afrikaaner group that is descended from Dutch colonists?