Super Engaging Gameplay

Zereth Mortis protoform synthesis is such a complete garbage system, how does Blizzard keep designing things like this?

The worst part is that you were 95% of the way to designing a cool engaging system. Quest chains unlock new crafting systems, with schematics and various materials hidden all over - a few are annoying but overall great stuff! Ok but after spending half a day collecting all the hidden easter eggs, you realize that the only way to craft the mounts/pets is to sit in front of a portal and kill devourers for dozens of hours on end until your eyes bleed.

Why in the hell aren’t genesis motes earned from quests, or reputation, or killing rares, or really ANY of the actual zereth mortis gameplay? Why is the only way to earn these things in any reasonable amount of time such a degenerate playstyle that literally no one could ever possibly enjoy? How does anyone at Blizzard think this is a good game design?

6 Likes

I mean i got all my mounts
 well most of them missing like 3 
 but figure its mounts / pets you gonna grind just like gotta grind raids / dungeons every reset

I agree that having motes as a quest reward once you’ve unlocked the synthesis stuff would be nice.

4 Likes

Grinding genesis motes is so unbelievably boring and degenerate though compared to raids, dungeons, quests, searching for rares, or really any other type of content in WoW. You effectively plant yourself at a training dummy and whale on it for a dozen hours until you are finally done.

Genesis motes should work like Spare Parts in Mechagon. Quests should give 20-40 genesis motes and add up over time. Olea caches should give a chunk of ~200 similar to the Recycling Requisitions. Rares should give 10-20 depending on their difficulty. Sandworn Relics should turn in for motes since they’re 100% useless otherwise. And then yeah also keep the 0-2 motes dropping from each creature that already exists.

Blizzard already figured out how to do this, just copy how it already works in Mechagon. Because requiring us all to stand in front of a devourer portal for hours on end is just ridiculously stupid.

2 Likes

I got tons of these things and I barely been to that zone so, not sure what the problem is

Used to be we just farmed rares for mounts. Like Korthia. Now, we’re farming mats slowly, having to run raids or farming more currency for a small chance at the raid mats, then praying to the RNG gods for other mats.

So instead of just RNG drop and that’s it, mounts and pets became grinding currencies, praying for RNG and needing raids or even worse RNG.

It’s not a good system, imo.

1 Like

What system did they design in the past that’s anything like protoform synthesis?

You need almost 20,000 to craft everything.
They only drop from some enemies and in very small quantity.
No quests reward them. You can get a handful from an Olea Cache or if you visit the repertory weekly which I’d guess half the people playing don’t even know that it exists let alone what it does.
So essentially, kill 10’s of thousands of random mobs for motes on top of getting schematics and other materials which require extensive farming elsewhere to acquire.

1 Like

I prefer this system that Korthia with rares, during 9.1, I farmed those rares with 20 alts, during 9.2, I only used 5 characters to get all the mounts, I prefer any system that diminish the alt army meta around RNG drops.

However, the farming mote component is really awful.

1 Like

It’s going slow (I have a limited patience for repetitive farming of mobs) and I expect I’ll be a bit salty about the last few rare drops, but I’m still accumulating a trickle of motes and haven’t yet hit the wall where I’m no longer making progress.

I’d like to stop running ZM in season 4 and focus on running old content for a few months at the end of the expansion, but my todo list for Shadowlands is still a few million anima short.

Yeah it was a great idea that they implemented poorly, which seems to be a recurring theme with WoW.
So many cool ideas and concepts get put into the game half-baked.

1 Like

Actually Dev behind it asked for feedback via twitter

However, It seems like Blizzard takes feedback for future iterations of new systems, patches, expansions, we don’t receive constant updates on a weekly-bi weekly
even a monthly basis, most of the updates that have good QoL improvements are moved via 0.5 or #.X patch.

There’s a lot of good feedback on the responses to that tweet, however we don’t see any changes at all to this system, probably because Devs were moved to DF expansion and left most of SL things behind besides some class/pve tuning.

They know that the important niche group will get hooked on it and keep coming back.

Or they just throw ideas at the wall and see what sticks.

Not worth playing Zereth Minecraft for pets or mounts
 just wait for the next expansion.

I guess I haven’t advanced enough through ZM to get to this point. I kind of stopped playing after the first week and only just picked it up again yesterday. I have to say, taking a break like that makes everything VERY confusing. I hope I’ll be able to figure it all out soon.

^This is heresy. Collectors always think it’s worth it. (Whatever grind it is.)

I have 18k genesis motes because I like to farm mobs and I can’t be arsed to look up where the blue things come from for the mounts. Farming mob give you lots of 229s, is great money making. ZM has BDO style camp loops set up. If you understand more general MMO farming conventions, ZM is really interesting. Genesis motes are about exposing people to the mechanics and benefits of mob farming.

I do not. I prefer my mounts and pets being straightforward RNG drops rather than seven hoops I have to jump through.

There should be a balance, because some Korthia mounts have low drop that’ll take a long time for a player with 1 character compared to creation catalyst process, however as you mentioned the amount of hoops is too much and boring, that’s why i would like more mounts like the rares from covenant conduit which are also sold via covenant offerings, RNG or bad luck vendor.

It’s like the issue around RNG with the last anniversary doomwalker that was changed from low drop to 100%, at least for me as collector, I got trigger by low RNG and I’ve to use every alt possible, which sometimes cause burn out on players and there should be a better solution.

Also, updates provided earlier and constantly, there’s plenty of feedback provided to the Dev that created this new system but it’ll be used on 10.0 and not now.

I just run multiple toons through patterns within patterns and funnel all the notes I get to my main guy. It’s slower but takes away the tedium of grinding mobs.

I gave them feedback on this on PTR.

On how it’s so frustrating to have the “rare” items, but be blocked by the Genesis Motes Tax. The “rare” items aren’t the problem, needing thousands of the “common” items is the problem.

They should let us buy bags of Genesis Motes with the tens of thousands of worthless Cosmic Flux we’re holding.

If the devs want feedback, they should try reading the feedback they’re already getting on the PTR forums, for a start.

2 Likes