Suggestions to End Auction House Griefing

Are those hard to make? I actually wouldn’t think those would be good to do that way because the market for them would be so limited someone would be able to make them faster than you could sell them.

1 Like

I like the AH how it is. It allows for a free market of sorts, which is good for business and the economy.

1 Like

I had the same experience when I was leveling up profs at the start of the expansion so I could make Legendaries for people in my guild.

I ended up getting rid of all my surplus inventory and even wound up in the black. But I’m not about to make fighting vs AH bots into a full-time job.

Just be ‘aware’ of what you are doing, this is a problem of people being way too zombie like in their actions.

You can be tricked in normal auctions too, just pay attention. I lost a lot in Legion when I started, it hurt but I learnt.

The funny thing is, months later I see the price of gauntlets is back up to around 5k or so, and I make one to advance my crafting and finally get to level 2.

So I post it up…and who do I see with the lowest price? Yeah. Same dude. Months later selling level 1s, which…I think at 5k is still a loss. So…either he never sold any, or is somehow making and selling level 1s for a loss…which is crafty if he’s just trying to tank the price so no one gets to his level 4 (hmm…that might give him too much credit).

I checked back in, 10 mins later and he relisted for my exact price…sigh. Leggo market is broken. I think even level 4s are barely making a profit

1 Like

So you are mad at their automation for making your automation loose you money. I bet if you didn’t use the automation from an addon that would never happen.

I think that the lister should no longer be able to cancel after a bid has been made.

2 Likes

You know I thought about something similar to this, but then I realized that it was a case of me being mad that I couldn’t keep up. Honestly, it sounds like you don’t like free market and want people who beat your price to be banned.

I understand the rationale behind there being a low-ceiling on some items, but I changed my mind when I realized that meant it was just going to make the WoW Token go up in price, especially if you assure a minimal amount of gold is earned for X item.

Sorry that your stuff isn’t selling, but the issue isn’t the AH. The issue is the stuff you have isn’t as valuable as you want. So do research and find out what is. That’s how you succeed. If it means you farm for a Battered Hilt etc. instead of Herbing, I suggest you get to it.

If people undercut me, I intentionally slash my prices and find other things to sell. Usually the dopes then do it again, I buy them out and reset the price; making a tidy profit. That really infuriates the competition, but it also makes them wiser going forward.

Here’s a song for you OP. All the best in your Auctioneering!

2 Likes

Sorry, Blizz won’t regulate the market just because you get undercut.

4 Likes

With all due respect (and politeness) I stopped here. You do not get to decide what I get to sell things for. WoW does not need a consortium setting prices for items like OPEC or Da Beers SA or others.

:cookie:

7 Likes

Not a problem to me :man_shrugging:

People can post at whatever price they want to post at.

Nothing

5 Likes

I request no less than 23 “Are you sure” popups then

3 Likes

I’m divided… I know sometimes folks pop stuff up with a low low starting bid expecting bid wars and when that doesn’t happen and someones about to win it low they swoop in and cancel.

Feel like the shorter the remainder the larger a sort of cancelation fee could come into play.

But that could be considered interference as well… I just feel like it goes against the spirt of an auction to try and prevent someone from getting a deal if you’ve chosen the bid sytem.

1 Like

not sure what this post is about… nothing wrong with the auction house… instead it sounds like you fail at looking at what you’re buying/selling… Blizzard can’t fix a player’s stupidity. All those players can do is simply not blindly pick buy/sell now…

When buying items:

1. type the quantity of items you want
  2. look at the price
  3. Click buy

the dumb players skip step #2.

When selling items:

1. look at the going price of the majority of a posted item
  2. ignore the minority of severely undercut listings
  3. post at a reasonable undercut

the dumb players skip step #2.

3 Likes

Here’s what I see as a big part of the issue: There are many ways to play WoW, and one of them is making money via the AH. AH players play the game, but only to get stuff they can later sell on the AH (and presumably turn into tokens or just to know they have more money than everyone else).

The AH as a game is ruined by people who treat it as a way to get higher than vendor value for items they don’t need, but are useful (or cool) for other players.

Both types of players undercut, but it’s more likely to be the AH-player to undercut by a copper, and the game-player to undercut by 20%.

Until you can figure out a way to accommodate both play styles in a single system, you’re going to have people arguing about it. (See, for example, PvP vs PvE.)

I know what you mean.
My first thought is a system where if your bid is x% below the other auctions then you lose the ability to cancel it. But what if there are no other auctions? And what stops them from posting something low then placing a low bid auction up and removing the first post? Or just having a friend post something for them.

Second idea is if your post reaches a certain time (10 minutes for example) you can no longer cancel it. But then people would just cancel earlier or have a friend bid it up.

I can’t think of a system that can’t be stepped around and that results in creating something more complex for no reason.

1 Like

VERY smart business on your part! Well done!

1 Like

The way the AH works now there is really no reason to undercut, unless the items aren’t selling because of outrageous price.

I’ve had common items not sell at reasonable prices. Nobody undercutting; for those 12 hours demand dropped.

One the flip side, in classic I once realized someone was leveling blacksmithing. I listed my bronze bars at 3x normal and they sold. Made a small fortune that day.

1 Like

The AH is the only fun content for some folks.

Also, a little personal accountability solves this problem when people just check the prices before listing. Like looking both ways before crossing the street!

2 Likes