Suggestions to End Auction House Griefing

I could get behind this, depending on how its implemented. It’s pretty common to post more than 50 of a single item at once, so that would need to be 1 post I think.

And I think it should be a “per day” limit, not an “at once” limit.

Yeah, I meant 50 listings. Not 50 items. List 200 Widowbloom = 1 listing.

1 Like

It’s interesting you mention the people on their longboi’s at a mailbox all day long… these irritate me as well because you just know they’re probably just fully automated gold farmers. From time to time I’ll make them the target of my dismount trinket and then watch to see how long before they actually realize they’re not connected to the AH anymore. Sometimes it can take 10-15 minutes, which means they aren’t really there at all.

That being said, perhaps there needs to be a much harsher penalty for canceling items, make it too expensive to do the cancel repost dance. And I can’t really understand the reason for the first post in, last post to sell paradigm. It actually incentivizes canceling and reposting…

4 Likes

Are you being serious?

I can have 200 to 300 pieces of lower level gear up at the one time, on auction toons on both factions on the one server at the same time. And that’s small change compared to some mog sellers.

Is it somehow evil of me to put a whole range of items up for sale that people may be looking for, to complete sets or for their low level alt to use?

I mean, jeez louize, talk about skewing the pooch…

9 Likes

This used to be the realm of the neutral auction house where folks would try to cheaply transfer items across faction lines for as little as 1c to avoid AH fees. I really miss that - it was a dangerous place to post because everyone was watching for those stealth deals and that made it sort of exciting.

Solution: Buy below market items and resell them. Problem solved.

12 Likes

Do you know how many players that are waiting for something (group to fill, dps lfg queue length etc etc) just mount up and sit there so others can have access to the ah? Its not all gloom and doom.

This is 100% the case.

3 Likes

Sounds like someone wants Blizz to guarantee their margins

8 Likes

I agree that that would be a bit of a broad brush to paint with on fixing the overall system, though I think it would probably do more good than harm.

And yikes, 300 unique items at once? Yeesh.

94.2% of my issue probably doesn’t apply to you at all selling lowbie trash that nobody needs (but might want, which is cool). It’s more for current content stuff that you need to play the game. Ending the cancel dance would be so great for the game as a whole.

1 Like

I’m thinking the OP doesn’t understand how a free market system operates.

11 Likes

So are you going to sit there for an hour white-knighting the single item selling for a silver over and over while some prick tries to rob people? Does that sound like a good use of your $15/month?

This information is available by mousing over the item in your bag. You can’t “trick” someone to post below vendor price. If someone does this, they aren’t being careful and attentive to what they are doing.

6 Likes

Great contribution. Thanks.

I’m not surprised to be insulted on these forums, since they are a cesspool of edge lords who think they’re cool, but my degree in economics disagrees with your unfounded statement.

1 Like

Even a real life ‘free marrket system’ has to abide by some forrm of law that controls it. Could you imagine what would happen the stock market if its users were able to do the same things they do in wow? They would be in prison.

2 Likes

You’ve sat here for almost an hour whining about the AH so does that sound like a good use of $15/mo?

5 Likes

What school of thought?

4 Likes

When they’re doing it at the mailbox just outside the AH they aren’t doing it as a favor to others. In Oribos for sure that could be the case, and I don’t doubt in many cases these are not griefers, but not when they’re infront of the VoS AH for example. They’re parked there because they can buy, sell, cancel, retrieve, and repost either with an addon (totally legit) or with full automation (totally NOT legit). I can’t remember the last time I was in Org and there wasn’t someone on a longboi sitting just outside the AH next to the mailbox…

When it comes to gold farmers, never underestimate their desire to cheat the system to make more.

3 Likes

Ah well, we all find things in the game that we enjoy. I like gathering things, for myself and for others. I even use the mog items on my own toons if they don’t sell, I have a limit of repeat sale attempts on my TSM - if it hits a certain number without selling, I drop the price radically a couple of times, and if still not, I take it off, send it to my alts to check, and then disenchant or vendor as the case may be. I have made up to 30,000g in a single day’s sales (though that’s uncommon) and it’s kind of fun to get your mail in and see your income for the day.

It all contributes towards paying for my sub, and buying a few items and mats that my toons may need. It would take a lot of pleasure from the game for me if I couldn’t do that.

4 Likes

Buy the 1 silver item? That player is going to stop eventually if you do this.

1 Like

How on EARTH do you trick into posting something below vendor price?

4 Likes