[Suggestion] Open Casting call for Voice Actors

nothing about working with unions is simple, there are legalities and contracts that have to be navigated.

neither blizzard nor the union is going to do that so some non-union rando who has no experience but can totes act, I swear, can get hired in place of union actors.

1 Like

Reminds me of when the Chic-Fil-a franchise tried to do that, lol. It didn’t go well.

1 Like

Of course I’m not saying that. I’m saying that they should pay them. They should stay within union contracts but I think that an open casting call would be good PR for the community. Heck a member of the community council agrees with me that there should be an open casting call.

this would be radical ngl but to train a unprofessional to a professional might be a mountainous task.
that being said, 1000% into the idea. just because it might be hard dosnt mean it wouldnt be a awesome community thing.

1 Like

I mean, I can see it occasionally as a sweepstakes of some sorta. You get 1 or 2 lines. I just imagine that typically…people trained to do something for a living typically are better at it than nobodies.

It would be a massive financial investment.

Yeah exactly, I know it’s radical but it would be a cool thing for the community to do.

I feel like I’m a parent explaining why we can’t have ice cream for dinner. Yes, it would be cool, but it’s just not practical for reasons that you’re willfully ignoring.

The initial fee for joining SAG-AFTRA is $3000, plus $231.96 annually, plus 1.575 percent of covered earnings up to $1,000,000.

And you can’t just up and join for the lulz. You have to have booked union work. Voicing a character in WoW could count as union work, but then you have to go to the union office and provide your pay stubs. It’s also a bit of a catch-22 - they have to hire union actors, but actors can’t join the union until they’ve been booked and paid.

So Blizzard would either be handing people a bill and a chore for voicing a character paid at rates that wouldn’t cover someone’s joining-the-union fees, or they could fund the dues basically out of a sense of charity. The latter is probably what they’d do in an extraordinary, Make-a-Wish situation. Otherwise, there are probably people who’d pay over $2000 to voice a character in a video game, but they could do that at any time - look for work until they book a union job, join the union, go to an open casting call or get talent representation to hook an audition up for you, get the role.

Why wouldn’t Blizzard just hire experienced talent for less hassle (or less financial detriment to the fan, or less financial detriment to them) instead? I could see them doing it as a one-off move if there was a really good reason, like the Make-a-Wish kid, or a contest, or an anniversary event PR thing or something, but regularly?

Nah.

1 Like

Still blows my mind that Invader Zim is an imp twink.

1 Like

At this point, I think you don’t want to have fun. If you don’t want to have fun just say so.

I wasn’t aware he could sing so all the Moxxie songs are adorbs

1 Like

Yes sweetie. We can’t go to Disneyland every week because mom is a big meanie doo-doo head, and not because we live in Ohio, and she earns minimum wage, and dad went out for cigarettes in 2009 and took the car.

1 Like

You know what I don’t care, I think that this could work and you are so stubborn that you are discrediting me.