Subscription Tax

On June 21, 2018, the United States Supreme Court changed the rules for collection of sales tax by Internet-based retailers.

In its decision in South Dakota v. Wayfair Inc. the Court said that individual states can require online sellers to collect state sales tax on their sales. The ruling overturned the Court’s 1992 decision in Quill Corporation v. North Dakota. The Quill case prohibited states from requiring a business to collect sales tax unless the business had a physical presence in the state.

The majority opinion was written by Kennedy and joined by Thomas, Alito, Ginsburg, and Gorsuch.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote the dissenting opinion, joined by Justices Stephen Breyer, Sonia Sotomayor, and Elena Kagan.

https://imgur.com/a/yXJuatm
If you live in the US, the link above will show you the current average rate in your state.

(an average because in many states the rate varies depending on your county or municipality).

6 Likes

Remember when we went to war over taxes? Those were the days.

19 Likes

I live in Argentina, Buenos Aires.
I have a sub tax of 21%
TWENTY ONE.
And somehow my country’s debt keeps rising.
I WONDER WHERE ALL THE MONEY IS GOING, HMMMMMM

15 Likes

This is a state legislation issue. They want their cut of your digital service. You will notice it for things like realm transfers as well.

If you want to see a change to it, you need to speak with your state ballot

3 Likes

I’m from Ohio too and it looks like something changed for us on the 1st. I couldn’t find anything about it online. Last article I found was from 2013 but I admit I didn’t look that hard.

Taxation is theft.
US friends, don’t let the goverment get you like my goverment screwed me and my fellow countrypeeps.
We have 66% hidden tax on our salaries + another 10-20% extra tax if you earn over 850 dollars/month. Everything we buy has another 21% tax plus a random tax which is different per item which in some cases is over 100% of the product’s price, mainly on basic stuff like drinks and foods.
And despite this Argentina’s debt is still rising.
Tax money goes nowhere back to the people, don’t let them get you please.

14 Likes

This is just the implementation of the supreme court ruling that allows states to collect sales and online services taxes.

CNBC article that explains what happened: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/21/heres-what-that-supreme-court-sales-tax-decision-means-for-you.html

1 Like

I know what you mean but if I am going to drive on a pothole ridden road everyday I would rather pay less for it.

The amont of taxes some states collect those roads should be paved in gold or at the very least some high quality silver.

8 Likes

Does this have something to do with that cancer Ajit Pieface guy and his net neutrality bull crap the republicans kept pushing?

1 Like

Can’t be stated enough.

1 Like

Net neutrality passed and my neighbor was publicly flogged.

No, it does not.

It has to do with taxation (aka government theft) because brick-n-plaster stores could not compete with the Amazons of the world.

So the government comes in as some potential “arbiter” and under the guise of “fairness” levels another tax on the individual. (Or the SC enacts another ruling outside their bailiwick). Take your pick.

Also, if you thought this was about “net neutrality”?

/whistles

You need to read more and stop listening to from wherever you get your “news”.

4 Likes

You can probably expect sales and use tax to be applied to more services as time goes on. There are Trillions of dollars of revenue that states want to tap into.

This is your only recourse. Good luck.

1 Like

Ajit Pai (FCC) killed net neutrality, but although that may result in your internet connection costing more in the long run, it has nothing to do with the sales tax issue.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was, I asked a question about IF it was. Big difference. You need to up your reading comprehension game.

1 Like

I’m commenting on the fact that you had to ask.

3 Likes

“… in this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes and WoW dying”

- Frank Benjim

8 Likes

Move to New Hampshire the live free or die State, and you will not be getting that tax. The best advice I can give, is for people to start voting libertarian, and get rid of all the tax and spend politicians currently in power. Especially at your State and Town levels of Government.

Chicago’s broke af anyway, so there’s no surprise they need an entertainment tax.

Almost as funny as California’s proposed text message tax.

1 Like

I like the way you think.

The property taxes in NH are insane. You could not buy a house there but renting is just as expensive the closer you are to MA. Almost everyone has a cache of weapons also, which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on your POV.