Subscriber Retention is Higher Than Past Expansions

The finest of pastes.

5 Likes

Well stated and 2 good points made. 2 thumbs up.

2 Likes

ditto… If I could get a full refund, I’d be gone at my next log-in.

1 Like

First off, that title is BAIT, and NOT what the post actually says you provided… it states: “Higher than at the equivalent stage of recent Modern expansions.” in other words everything AFTER Legion, which all had garbage retention. Saying DF has better retention than BFA or SL, two very meh at best and blah at worse expansions, is like saying a Mcdonalds happy meal is a 5 star 5 course meal.

Bored bait thread folks, move along.

1 Like

We will never know for sure, but based on when they said in MoP that WoW has over 100 million accounts yet maxed at 12 million concurrent subs I have a feeling it’s always bled subs very hard and had bad retention.

New players coming in just out paced the loss, until it didn’t.

3 Likes

It’s mostly/disproportionately hardcores playing now. That’s rather obvious.

1 Like

Even if its 100 more players it is a positive shift. Will it continue? Who knows. Blizz’s problem to figure out

At the risk of being a negative nelly, the fact they kept it ambiguous suggests to me it wasnt gangbuster retention

1 Like

Anecdotally, I saw a massive return of people on my bnet who I haven’t seen in years in the day leading up to DF launch and talking to some of them, the common thread was they felt Blizzard had “finally learned their lesson and returning to a better and more simple time”.

Not a single one of those people are still playing today and haven’t played since even S2. Even some of my more dedicated friends barely log on long enough to do their respective weekly “chores”. Nobody I know is remotely interested in this “love letter to the players” world and they can not find anything compelling to do to make significant account progression without also having to subjugate themselves to no life sweatlords.

These are people largely at or left of the bell curve. They don’t care to be the best. They just want to login and play and have fun. They feel/felt overwhelmed by the changes to their class and specs (not to mention the UI changes) and the talent trees aren’t beloved since they are nothing but a more complicated way to make choices. Their specs feel radically different and the game is wholly too “sweaty” and not fun. There is no happy middle ground where they can slowly eek and grind their way to better gear and just be a “casual” and stick to queue content and the rewards just quickly peter out.

I know I personally would not recommend this game to anyone starting fresh unless I knew them to be a fairly competitive type and willing to go through a lot of nonsense and crap before getting themselves established to the point they can play the game comfortably. WoW is great at getting a person to max level quickly but this community is the absolute suckiest when it comes to accepting “baduals” and new people. This community sees itself as more tryhard and “skilled” than they realistically have any right to feel or act and especially what the content actually demands.

I also find it really telling just how many times the expansion has gone on sale in this first year. Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I don’t recall SL or even BfA discounting itself and offering so many incentives so early and often. My guess is far less people are willing to give Blizzard a shot again or are wising up and waiting until the end of an expansion so they can get the full expansion crash course after all the nerfs and catchups and such are in effect than dabbling with it at the start and thus it’s just more of the whales who will still continue to play this game even if it did feed you literal feces simply because you’re far too hooked and addicted to give it up.

Unless there’s numbers tied to it its nothing but PR spin. For all anyone knows it could be +1.