Sub Rogue vs Assassin

Hi guys. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions. I haven’t decide which spec to play on my new rogue, assassin or sub. I like the idea of the sub rogue more but all i hear is that is the worst. And that kind of confuses me because, I could see sub rogue underperforming on M+ compared to outlaw rogue for example, but assassin aoe isnt very good.
What i cant understand is why everyone hate sub rogue even on ST when the logs (both from simcraft and wowlogs) on eternal palace, place sub rogue as the best spec of the 3. (actually on wowlogs, outlaw scores 90.61 and sub 90.06 but outlaw is getting nerfed so i guess it will drop a lot). What is it that makes the spec so “good” on the simulations but makes it suck so much on paper and M+?

Thanks!

My 2¢.

Subtlety is very unforgiving. You have to maintain high uptime on the target and make no mistakes with your rotation.

The rotation is based around Shadow Dance windows which only last about 5-8 seconds (i forgot the actually duration). That’s a very short amount of time in which you have to make sure you have your buffs and debuffs applied and make sure there is not some mechanic that takes priority. It’s very frustrating to pop Shadow Dance just before a tank swap or just as Puddle of Death drops around the boss.

There are so many ways to waste a Shadow Dance. When that happens, your DPS suffers.

In contrast, Assassination is very forgiving. Once you get your bleeds and poisons ticking, you can go make a ham sandwich and your DPS keeps going. Each ability carries its own weight and no single ability is so strong that messing up the rotation is detrimental to your DPS. You make it up on the next cycle and keep going.

2 Likes

Play what you like. No one’s gonna blame you for playing the spec you find most interesting.

stop doing business with blizzard end of story. blizzard doesn’t know what to do anymore with the product.

1 Like

subtlety was better during wod. idk if blizzard cares about good product anymore to say the least.

1 Like

assassin for everything now sub is bad still.

Sub is fine, but, as Tavlina note, very unforgiving. It requires high uptime and accurate positioning. All of these movement heavy fights favor classes with dots, which is why Spriest, AffLock, Balance, etc are doing so well. Sub has a dot, but that’s not really where your damage comes from, whereas Sin’s damage is dependent on your dot’s ticking.

In a pure Patchwerk fight, Sub might actually do higher damage than Sin, but that’s not relevant. In fact, none of this who-ha is relevant. You have to play what you enjoy. Every class is viable and capable of great dps. We have a shaman in our guild and it doesn’t matter how they are doing in some sim or log, he crushes meters (most often 95%+). I do more dps on my unholy DK than I do my DH and I have no idea why.

Play what you like.

1 Like

This is the biggest thing. Mut is so forgiving that you can do well on the meters if all you can manage is to maintain garrote and rupture. It’s pretty silly.

Play what you want though.

I WILL say this about subtlety though. It’s great for being out in the world. Things die before you even get a change to ramp up damage. One, two shadowstrikes and they flop, their friend catches a the eviscerate and he’s down. Restealth, repeat. Subtlety is probably best for leveling as and can be fun for doing world quests.

3 Likes

In pvp i find sub to be greater than sin. Imo.

Wpvp and bgs

1 Like

Just play classic, games over

Everyone says this, wait until it hits though. So many negatives like bags filling up every 5 minutes, only one person in group getting credit for quest drops, 1 second lag on every skill/spell pressed. Its gonna be awful.

2 Likes