Strength of the tank pet

How tanky is the hunter pet? Explain to me to scale, like M+ bosses or a situation I can relate to. I’m familiar with most current things, I’ve done M+ up to +5 (I know low end), I’ve done almost all the rares in both uldum and pandaria during the N’zoth stuff and I’m done a couple of horrific vision wings.

Mainly thinking of rolling a hunter and wanting to get an idea of how tanky a pet is because I am used to playing tank or tank like dps classes.

If playing BM, the pets are pretty unstoppable. Now that said, I would recommend you getting a turtle if starting out as a low level and once you get to Clefthoof level, get one of them.

Lastly, here is the bible on all things considered Hunter Pets.

https://www.wow-petopia.com/index.php

1 Like

River beasts can be tanky…

Best utility is SB with heals and buff cleanse on enemies.
Best tank is Clefthoof(BM) and Scalehides(Non-Bm) Clefthoof is the best-best because it had passive extra armor and healing received + Ferocity, while Scalehides just have a shield ability and Ferocity.

2 Likes

BEfore BFA it was pretty awesome. Now its crap a lot of times.
If you want a ‘tanky’ pet, roll warlock and use void walker. Dem lock, if memory serves.
Geezus…that thing had about 25 trash holding for me a while back.
If I could only get more DPS from the class…

1 Like

You definitely don’t have a clefthoof if you think a voidwalker is better than that…

5 Likes

Never used a clefthoof as a tank pet but currently I use a corehound and they’re pretty tanky too with their 50% DR ability

1 Like

Whats a clefthoof? A hunter pet?

1 Like

Yes. They have +10% damage reduction and receive +20% healing, besides being ferocity. They’re those big Rhino things in Nagrand or Sholazar Basin.

1 Like

Truth. Clefthoofs are beasts when it comes to tanking. Love their passive shielding and pet bonus to heals.

As for Voidwalkers, they don’t compare…

1 Like

Here is a link to the mighty Clefthoof…

https://www.wow-petopia.com/family.php?id=clefthoof

1 Like

I was checking petopia out. Great site! I thought cat pets were the only ones with ferocity, lol. I rounded up some spiders for my new SV hunter. the other one has cats.
I’ll have to gather up one of those clefthoofs for my 120 hunter. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cat is a great tank. Leech along with dodge chance boosting skill is fantastic when you gotta take one mob off tank in m+ or wherever

2 Likes

How tanky are hunter pets? Depends on your gear.

Since most of your pet’s survivability comes from its leech, the more damage your pet does the more he survives. Mend Pet also heals by health percentage so the more health your pet has the more it heals.

In terms of content that you would normally do solo, Hunter pets are basically invincible. I solo Horrific Visions with 5 masks and nothing can come close to hurting my pet, fully clearing all wings. Rares in Uldum or Pandaria also don’t do any damage to my pet.

In terms of content that isn’t meant to solo, right now I can solo a Normal dungeon easily. My pet can tank the dungeon bosses and all trash packs like it’s nothing, without even having to use Mend Pet at all. I haven’t tried Heroic dungeons but they should be doable, albeit hard. Mythic dungeons are not doable solo with a pet tanking. At least I wasn’t able to solo mythic Mechagon.

1 Like