Strange video artifacts in 8.1.5

Okay, thanks for passing it on. I’m not entirely sure what a regression in copy queue code means, but are you saying this isn’t related to the Nvidia problem at all? In addition to the ground effects flashing, this cutting/slicing started for me near the middle to end of 8.0, and became worse in 8.1 and worse after 8.1.5. Is there anything I can do about this on my end?

it shows all same symptoms, cause the nvidia driver basically goes bonkers if any bad data is sent to it (or just data that’s not bad but sent out of order). the ordering is what caused most of issues and 8.2 has a work around for that, but the WAY data is sent was optimized for 8.2 as well and I think that’s what’s making nvidia driver unhappy, which for all intensive purposes would look like same issue.

But it could go either way, i’ll make sure they check both.

They would like to know your exact hardware. is it a 750m mac?

Thanks. This is what I have:

iMac 27-inch, late 2013, running Mojave 10.14.5
3.5 GHz Intel Core i7
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Nvidia GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB

1 Like

I have the same setup, same issues. Drives me nuts! I know Apple doesn’t even have anything on file, so I recommend that people call them and let them know. I know it’s probably more of a Nvidia thing. Also, I’m wondering if anyone tested this with the new macOS that’s coming out in the fall. Catalina. It’s out for developers in Beta now. Hopefully there’s a “REAL” fix soon!

Far as I’ve seen Catalina is WAY too beta right now, and WoW and other apps also don’t support the wildly new segregated file system stuff they do that apple didn’t even give them a heads up about. just sort of said “here is DP1, oh btw first thing it’s gonna do is partition your disk into two partitions, read only system and read/write user space. It’s seemless to the user but to the developer, ya better make some code changes”

In Darkshore (and a few other places) the grass will randomly disappear depending on what angle the camera’s at.

Confirming that latest PTR build is issue free. The work arounds for driver are finally worked out and running.

3 Likes

Thanks Omegall for the update. That sound promising. Looking forward to the work around and hopefully Nvidia makes a driver that works and Apple implements it!!

Sounds good, thank you Omegall :grinning:

Seems like their 8.2 fix for now is to just restart graphics when it starts corrupting. Get instances of pauses graphics like when running the /console gxrestart

Also got some tile issues on big map. Not noticed in minimap yet.

That’s not what fix does.

What they did was added a post event sorter, to sort events before sending them to driver. But as I said earlier in thread, when I outlined sorting being problem, it’s a shame blizzard has to even do this at all. Now instead of sending everything to driver as fast as possible, stuff is gathered and pre sorted, then sent to driver. I was told this performance impact SHOULD be minimal and not even noticeable though(but existent)

so you shouldn’t see freezes or ANY corrupt graphics since they’ll never be sent to driver out of order with the sorter they added.if you are seeing weird behavior it might be a new issue and unrelated. Paused graphics could even be caused by a broken addon that’s causing client to hitch from loads of errors/cpu spikes.

so when is this “issue free” update coming? Coz the problems seem to be getting worse. Today I logged in and I’m finding it hard to navigate because I can see through walls, floors, etc. Difficult to walk when I can’t get a perspective on where I actually am or where I am trying to get to.

1 Like

That has nothnig to do with this. that sounds like assets that haven’t loaded yet.

After a week of 8.2 I’m still seeing most of the same issues. Off-hand today:

• map and mini map tile artifacts
  • tiedye landscape
  • skybox issues

Some sessions they’re less frequent some times something just explodes and it’s like the graphics have to reset several times over. I guess I haven’t seen the flashy laser show calamity since 8.2 so maybe there’s that.

Eklecras - Sounds like you may have another issue. Have you checked your hardware lately? I know I had lots of issues in 8.1.5, but other than random pauses and slow load times when starting up (I think they may have disabled any acceleration we may have had, even with the Apple Drivers) , it’s been pretty good. Artifacts are gone, other than a few here and there on the mini map. No major issues though. I really hope that Nvidia works with Apple on a driver update. Maybe in the next macOS, Catalina. Fingers crossed.

Yeah I can’t identify any hardware issues. I do a lot of gpu heavy work without issue too. The fact it was al fine prior to 8.1.5 also suggests something on blizzards end (even if that’s bad drivers with changed api calls). It actually just froze in dazalor starting to pull a group together. Had to hard restart it which is bad for those of us with attached raid arrays…

Is everyone else finding 8.2 to be working pretty well as expected for for them?

I suspect what you are seeing is a brand new issue that isn’t nvidia specific, in fact it’s even worse on AMD. the nvidia only issue is in fact resolved in 8.2

But this new issue will be looked into after holiday

What was the fix? It seems like the graphics are slower than ever… Takes forever for things to load, lots of random pauses, then I end up being in a different spot than when it paused. Horrible game play! I’ve been playing since Vanilla on my Macs and this is the first time I’ve seen serious issues. Is there a QA team? Not even sure how this stuff gets released…

That stuff is likely related to you playing at a higher resolution now. Not the nvidia fix. You have to restore resolution you previously played at in earlier patch.

I agree that the way they pushed resolution change was a bad one because most don’t understand it and as a result are suffering worse performance by not knowing how to do their settings now, but it is a correctable one by setting resolution in game to one that makes more sense than 4 or 5k, on mediocre macs.

Hey folks,

We can’t particularly field suggestions in this forum as for how we worked around this, but the problem is nonetheless worked around in 8.2 at this point. Every post in this thread since has been an issue unrelated to the originally posted topic. We appreciate everybody working with us and being patient while we got this handled. If you have suggestions for the work around, you’d be better served using the in game tool or reaching out in the general discussion board.

To recap, the original artifacting with Nvidia cards should now be fixed, although there is another, unrelated artifacting situation now with Radeon cards which is being investigated.

If you are having sudden performance issues, these are unrelated to the issue originally reported here. Those may be related to running the game at a higher resolution than your computer can support. Try reducing the in-game resolution to fix the problem.

If neither of these is your issue, you should post your own thread for individual help, or look over other recent threads for similar reports.