Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Probably a more active RP community than WoW’s. As for the content, it’s about the same. No designated RP servers(though Balmung might as well be Moon Guard as far as notoriety goes), so it’s all about finding the right linkshells/FCs.

2 Likes

I might take a peek next time I get paid. Though I see they also have a free trial.

Though, hot cat/dragon/elf boys, and player housing are selling it pretty well. Even seemingly without a Nature-based class.

1 Like

Keeping in mind I haven’t delved very far into RP there:

There’s no official RP server, but there’s two unofficial ones: Balmung and Mateus. Balmung is so full that it’s almost always locked for new character creation, though.

You can tag your character with an RP tag (among other things, like new player tags, PvE tags, returning after a break tags, etc), and they recently added an option to label your player home with things like if it’s meant to be a bar/inn/store/etc. A lot of RP goes on in the player housing, but most houses are open to the public if they’re holding something. Otherwise the center of RP seems to be Ul’dah, one of the three starting cities. The inn there is always crowded, at least on Mateus which is the server I’m on, but i assume on Balmung too.

And that’s all just public stuff, of course. There are free companies (guilds) and linkshells (player-made chats) for RP too.

Conjurer/White Mate is probably the closest thing, since it deals with the spirits of the forest. It’s a healer though.

2 Likes

Well, 8.1 is next week. Why do I feel like this?

Excepting of course that neither Blizzard nor anything they’ve written is anywhere near as cool as Thanos.

Oh hey, my tmog finally updated after three weeks.

1 Like

8.1 comes out the same day as the new SWTOR update, 5.10. As of this moment, I’m more interested in traveling to Ossus than I am doing the new WoW content.

Oh, I’ll log in to have fun with the new Pet Battle dungeon and see what the new incursions are like. Maybe even check out the new warfront. But, I’m going to wait and see when it comes to the story stuff.

1 Like

It’s also the day that Elite Dangerous Chapter 4 is released. I’m tempted to log in, pick me up a Krait Phantom and maybe finally see if I can join the Fuel Rats.

I was thinking the same thing. “I should leave my account cancelled…and whenever the final WOW patch comes out, I will have WAITED just like they told me. Then I can pay $15, and SEE the story all at once!”

1 Like

The only thing I’m looking forward to in 8.1 is the plague doctor forsaken set.

1 Like

Yeah, I saw a bit about those whem I had to look up what Kyveli was even talking about, lol. Sounds nice that there would be in-game systems for it, after I found my feet.

I didn’t even look at it, tbh, since ranged dps is my jam. But I’m also a sucker for any descendent of the dnd druid, a good shaman/primalist/elementalist, or even just an animal companion for the ranger/archer archetypes. Summoner looks kinda close, I guess.

As for 8.1: I’m in a weird place I’ve never been before with WoW. I almost feel a bit bipolar. One minute, I’m excited for Night Elves and vengeance, the next I’m just so indescribably apathetic. I love the Night Warrior customization, and all the Night Elven sets and weapons from the Warfront, but otoh, I just feel kinda… cheapened, I guess. Like, that after all these years of playing, the plight and genocide of my favorite race is being used to milk repeatable content. I love Kul Tiras questing, alot, but otoh, 8.1 is next week and I still haven’t reached max lvl. Some of that is, of course, the fact that since release, I’ve had surgery and associated medical procedures twice, and the fact I’m a caregiver for my grandma (some days, if she’s having a bad day, I won’t even have the chance to log in). But some of that is also just the faction war and Teldrassil looming in the background. Some days it spurs me to progress, to try and strike back at the Horde in the very limited capacity the game will let me. Some days, it just drains me of all motivation to play, and I’ll just dick around on a low level alt (if that).

I’ve been here through bad content, and I’ve been here through good content. But I’ve never been in this weird, half-in, half-out phase, where I can’t even decide how I feel about the content.

Black Mage and Red Mage both use elemental magic a lot. Fire/lightning/ice for Black Mage and fire/lightning/ice/earth/air for red mage.

Summoner is a lot of fun, At first I was like, “Oh, this is FFXIV version of warlock” but doesn’t really turn out that way later on. Doesn’t use elemental magic though. It has spells like Bio, Miasma, Ruin, Deathflare, Bane, Fester, Shadow Flare, etc. And I’m just like, “And Black Mage is the evil caster?”

1 Like

I didn’t look at their spells, I just read the flavor text that said summoners summon primals, and just kinda assumed primals were elementals. Looking at the image given, I guess what I thought was a fire elemental could also be… a demon, maybe?
https:/ /ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/mediawiki/images/e/e0/Summoner_concept_art.jpg

Short list of things I’m interested in:
Black Mage
Summoner
Bard
I can’t tell what’s going on with Red Mage. It calls it ranged dps, but it also has a rapier? Might could also get into a machinist, even though tech isn’t usually my thing.

Primals are just beings created from magic and emotions(often belief, sometimes sadness or anger). They can be any form. At level 70 the summoner’s main primal is a dragon. But the other 3 they get are fire/earth/air.

They’re not really elementals though it’s more the beast tribes that summon them are associated with that element so they believe their gods are associated with it.

Red mage does the caster thing until it builds up resources then jumps into melee to do 3 attacks, then back to range to build up resources again.

1 Like

Are black mages supposed to be considered an evil caster? I haven’t gotten that far yet but it looked like the story difference between thaumaturge and arcanist is that thaumaturges were based on older, primitive magic while arcanist is the game’s modern, intellectual take on it.

1 Like

The job description seems to imply it somewhat.

In days long past, there existed an occult and arcane art known as black magic—a potent magic of pure destructive force born forth by a sorceress of unparalleled power. Those who learned to wield this instrument of ruin came to be called black mages, out of both fear and respect for their gift. Yet great power served to corrupt the judgment of mortal man, and so he unknowingly set out upon the path of ruin.
Adventurers who take the black will become agents of devastation, capable of annihilating those who oppose them through little more than the force of their will.

1 Like

I’ve done the black mage quests up to level 50 and yeah, they’re the “evil” caster, since their magic draws on Void. But, like with warlocks, no one seems particularly assed by it.

1 Like

Most caster classes draw from their personal aether (mana), but black and white mages draw from the world’s aether. This makes their spells stronger, but it also kills the world. A couple thousand years ago the War of the Magi between the black and white mage cities led to a colossal flood, and so both of them were outlawed. Black magic is generally seen as the eviller of the two because it also deals with Voidsent (demons). Meanwhile the teachings white magic were kept secret by the spirits of the forest who were angered by the war, and the white mage capital consumed by plantlife to hide it away.

As far as 8.1, I actually am looking forward to Darkshore and the new toys and mounts it brings, but that’s really all unfortunately.

Thaumaturge isn’t really evil. They’re just really creepy gnome things that carry out the vengeance of dead people. It’s black mage that is the dark forbidden art that even the thaumaturges oppose.

1 Like

The announcement that the raid comes at the end of January, more than a month from now, and Zandalari/KT comes at some point AFTER that…jebus. In the past, a bit more content has come the same day as the final LFR…so sometime in March. That’s just absurd for an advertised major expansion feature.

5 Likes

Yeah, seriously. Zandalari were announced in the announcement trailer, and by the time they come out it’ll be 6 months since the expansion released. This is ridiculous.

3 Likes

Blizzard has gotten really scummy the last year or so.

6 Likes