Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

Unforunately, this is the actual bag they will probably receive due to the worldwide “canvas shortage” that I hear game companies are suffering…

i.imgur.
com/ZQpnhPb.png

Feels like there are more and more games I want for the Switch lately. Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, Smash, new Pokemon title in 2019.

I really hate consoles.

2 Likes

Do we not have thread caps? Are we doomed to argue the same things forever?

1 Like

If this is like the Overwatch forum, threads can go 20,000+. But they are impossible to read because it’s just a single long line of posts 20,000+ long. Not a good system unless the goal is to reduce the amount of work Blizz has to do managing it.

1 Like

To be fair, it happens anyway. This just prevents someone from getting the last word in an individual thread.

1 Like

With all this talk of FFXIV, and a new system that can actually handle it, I’ve had a look at it.

My interest is piqued, with there being neko boys :thinking:

1 Like

The cat people have probably the most non-human culture of the races, though like every playable race there are also a lot of them integrated into the cities instead of sticking to tradition.

The moon cat people are hunters living in the forest in groups of 2 to 3 families led by the mothers. Last name is inherited from the mother, and males are rarely born, and those that are have a suffix in their name signifying if they’re the first/second/third/etc son. Those that aren’t integrated into the city culture have friction with the forest’s city Gridania, which tries to live in harmony with the spirits of the forest but the cats tend to overhunt and anger the spirits.

The sun cat people live in 26 tribes scattered across the main continent (primarily mountainous and desert regions), each tribe named after a letter of the alphabet. You are named after your tribe, for example the character M’naago comes from the M tribe in the eastern mountains. They’re organized like lion prides, with a breeding male with the last name Nunh who leads his community and has a harem. Nonbreeding males have the last name Tia, and they can either challenge their community’s Nunh for dominance to become the Nunh or go off to establish their own community and harem as a new Nunh. Females don’t have a last name.

Every race has two variants like this that you can choose from at character creation.
But I’m boring and just play a human.

3 Likes

At least you don’t play a Lalafell. Cause we all know what that means…

After a cursory glance, the races that catch my eye are the cat boys, the elves, and the dragon boys.

Had a glance at classes, too. Still trying to wrap my head around an archer somehow becoming a bard.

1 Like

Rumor has it the Viera (think the cat people, but with rabbit ears) are going to be added next expansion.

1 Like

Dragon boys are divided into Xaela, which live in many nomadic tribes in steppes, and Raen, which have fully integrated into the kingdom of Doma and Doma culture is just Japanese culture, ninjas and stuff.

Elves are divided into Duskwight and Wildwood. Duskwight lived underground to hide from the forest spirits because they weren’t welcome in the forest, until they eventually made a pact and came above the surface. Wildwood can be found either in the forest, or in the northern super-religious kingdom that’s been fighting dragons for its entire history and no one even remembers the reason why.
(That kingdom is also where I RP my human as from, since no city is really a single ethnicity in FF14).

So it’s basically wood elves can be either elf clan, high elves are Wildwood.

1 Like

The FF12 Viera Fran was great, but a lot of that was her voice. It’s an icelandic accent but I thought it sounded super cool. Also because her loyalty/love with the “Leading Man” was really well done.

youtu.
be/i3vjr3Ylajk?t=2902

1 Like

Just tasted White Vinegar to see what exactly it tasted like… After much thought I have concluded it tastes like Unripe Grapes!

It’s all but confirmed considering Yoshida showed off a shirt that had Bugs [Bunny] with [race] flags. They were originally planned to be the new race for Heavensward, but technical issues at the time pushed them toward au ra instead.

Concept art from the HW presentation: https:// i.imgur. com/KOYXK46.jpg
https:// i.imgur. com/FXuE7CS.jpg

It’s a safe assumption that the two tribes will be the classic viera like Fran and the Feol(subspecies that’s smaller and has fairer skin) from Revenant Wings.
http:// finalfantasy.wikia. com/wiki/File:Midia_RW.png

3 Likes

I think we’re going to see Fran in the final Ivalice raid in 4.5. I’m pretty sure they said we’d get a preview of the new race in there, and since it’s obviously Viera, and they also said they were going to have Balthier appear in the raid but decided against it in favor of using someone else.

1 Like

That sounds wonderful, then! Went ahead and ordered the first volume from their store, hopefully it gets to me before the cute little pet’s code expires.

It really has, and you’re a big part of that! You’ve always been a fun, knowledgeable poster with a wealth of obscure knowledge and genuine passion for the lore. I believe in the “Story Forum Alignments” thread, I labeled you as “Neutral Encyclopedic.” There’s been times where I’ve actually been shocked by some of the references to old lore you casually pull out!

Even moreso than the lore knowledge, though, I’ve appreciated your kind nature. In a forum that can often get very heated, you’ve been a cool-headed dude for as long as I’ve lurked here. Maybe it’s the hat? You made that thing iconic!

Honestly, I’ll selfishly hope you come back to the game sooner, rather than later. I completely understand everyone’s reasons for leaving, and myself have wandered to other pastures for the time being. But you’re one of those posters that just… define the Story Forum for me. Such a very valuable part of the community here. But hey, if people are right and you can post here without an active sub – that’s great! Hope to still see you around from time to time : )

It has almost dethroned the 3DS as my favorite console of all time. Just needs a Style Savvy, an Animal Crossing (soon!!), and a Rune Factory. But even now, it has an absolute powerhouse of a library, including amazing indies like Hollow Knight, Shovel Knight, and Shantae.

I think we had that covered without thread caps : P

My first “mentor” in FFXIV, years ago, was this super bishonen catboy with a cool transmog for every job. He just swapped in between every job he had and showed off cool weapons and spells. I was dazzled!

I had no idea about all the Seeker of the Sun lore you just mentioned, that’s crazy cool! There’s actually not many Miqo’te characters in the plot where I’m at, now that I think about it. Just Y’shtola and Hildibrand’s sidekick, IIRC.

Speaking of which, I’ve been going through the Hildibrand quests the past couple of days; absolutely the funniest questline I’ve done in any game. There’s absurd dialogue, absurd animations, visual gags, referential humor. It’s like an old Garry’s Mod video meets a Japanese gag manga. I honestly crack a giggle every single time Hildibrand calls Gilgamesh “Greg”.

It means people in dungeons and cities /hug and /pat you a lot!

(I was going to include a cute screenshot of my character, but apparently I’m not allowed to make links :|)

2 Likes

Apparently my body was doing me a heckin’ bamboozle because not only am I still sick but my cough has progressed from “annoying” to “rattles my chest and hurts my throat”.

But as long as I’m not on my deathbed I will be playing Smash and there’s (almost) nothing my body can do about it.

1 Like

I was basically quoting from the book. :yum: You do meet the U tribe in Southern Thanalan and the M tribe in the Fringes (a Stormblood zone), but otherwise I think the only Seekers you ever interact with are ones who do stuff on their own like, yeah, Y’shtola.

And the Hildibrand stuff is amazing, agreed. He has questlines in the expansions too.

1 Like

Speaking of, is there an RP community? If so, what’s it like?

Funny how Guild Wars Wiki and Guild Wars 2 Wiki are the only Wikis that I’m aware of that are actually owned by the Game Company that makes the Franchise the Wiki is about… Which of course means that the Devs can enforce Game Canon on the 2 Wikis with impunity!

How unfortunate that the Wikis of other Franchises(especially the Wikias) aren’t under the Devs complete control…

1 Like