Story Forum Community Lounge (Part 1)

If they admitted to being an axe murderer, I’d ask what the absolutely terrible person did to drive poor Hanashi to axe murder.

9 Likes

No one is allowed to be happy on this forum unless it’s through the lamentations of our enemies. The panda is an aberration.

5 Likes

throws Arlifrex out the window

10 Likes

You shut the hell up or you’re gonna catch these hands.

9 Likes

That song gets stuck in my head a lot! It’s so iconic.

Speaking of ear worms, have y’all seen The Lego Movie 2 yet? I really loved it!

Also, as my new character has been axe murdering quillboar across Durotar and the Barrens, I’ve found myself thinking about the FFXIV beast tribes quests a lot. For anyone who doesn’t know, in FFXIV there are many non-playable races called beastmen, whom you often clash with due to their summoning of destructive gods. For many of these races, there exists a friendly faction you can earn reputation with via daily quest hubs. Think Klaxxi.

I get a lot of joy out of doing these dailies for a number of reasons. The quests are fun and varied, the rewards are really delightful, and the worldbuilding is simply incredible! Every single beastman race is so full of flavor, from the fey, drunken, trickster Sylphs to the industrious, cowardly Kobolds, and loads more.

Naturally, I find myself wondering – what if we had something like this in WoW? What if I could do dailies for a quillboar faction, learning more about their shamanistic, matriarchal society? What sort of secrets could we learn about the gnolls? The magnataur?

With the current implementation of reputations, it seems unlikely to ever happen. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t lots of fun to think about! Perhaps I will write some dailies and reputation storylines of my own when I’m bored. And I’ll keep hoping they pull the trigger on that Mongrel Horde idea from a few expansions ago!

(That could and probably should have been its own topic, but I was hesitant to make one due to talking about FFXIV a lot. Thanks for letting me ramble on!)

4 Likes
3 Likes

These male Dancer outfits, though.
2 Likes

Saving all the fluffposts in case that thread does end up shut down:

5 Likes

Here’s to hoping that one Zelda Game Prequel(between Minish Cap and Four Swords) has Calamity Ganon(as in the flying pig shaped mass of Malice) possess Link and for the Four Sword to take Link’s form(like it did in ALttP GBA’s Palace of the Four Sword) in order to beat up Ganon’s new body into unconsciousness and amnesia!

Twinrova was called Ganondorf’s Surrogate Mothers by Navi in OoT with the Japanese version outright calling them his Adoptive Mothers…

Also: Who else wants a Zelda Game where we fight all of Ganon’s incarnations(OoT Phantom Ganon, OoT Ganondorf, TP Ganondorf, FSA Ganon, WW Phantom Ganon, WW Puppet Ganon, WW Ganondorf, ALttP Agahnim, ALBW Yuga Ganon, BotW Blight Ganons and BotW Calamity Ganon) brought to the present through Sheikah Technology?

The Timeline in the Zelda Franchise splits when tampered with so all the Ganons being summoned won’t erase Hyrule’s history so why not face all the Ganons along with the Demise(whose real name isn’t revealed in the Japanese Version) whose Hatred and Malice spawned Calamity Ganon.

1 Like

Calamity Ganon is Ganondorf beat up so many times he’s not really a person any more.

Breath of the Wild comes at the end of any give timeline, not a prequel:

Eiji Aonuma, series producer: “Well of course it’s at the very end. But, I get what you’re asking, it’s which timeline is it the end of?”

Hidemaro Fujibayashi, director: “That’s… up to the player’s imagination, isn’t it?”

Nintendo of Japan even has the timeline up as such on their website:

1 Like

By Calamity Ganon I’m referring simply to Demise’s Malice and Hatred Incarnate not the latest incarnation of Calamity Ganon.

https://imgur.com/YkgaFq8

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Breath_of_the_Wild_–_Creating_a_Champion

Apparently the official source book for Breath of the Wild says that the reincarnating Malice and Hatred of Demise is always to be considered Calamity Ganon!

I actually own two copies of this book (I’m a sucker for limited edition things). Took me a bit to find, but yep, that’s page 401.

But even there it says:

His plans shattered, Ganondorf lost control, and his powers consumed him, transforming him into the Dark Beast Ganon. After being defeated by the hero, he was sealed away by Princess Zelda and the other sages. His hatred of the hero and the princess is legendary. He revived again and again, only to be sealed many times over. Eventually, the Demon King Ganon became hatred and malice incarnate, holding a deep grudge against Hyrule itself.

Did you mean a different source book than Creating a Champion?

Now if you did mean Demise’s Malice and Hatred rather than the form of Ganon we see in Breath of the Wild, then, yes, there’s actually potential story to explore there between Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. At the very least, I don’t believe Vaati actually qualified as an incarnation of Demise’s Hatred (though other fans I’ve talked to in the past have).

I want to play as Zelda.

4 Likes

Obviously Vaati isn’t Demise’s Hatred… Demise’s Hatred is more likely to have been the leader of the monsters mentioned in Minish Cap’s Backstory for the Picori Blade! Since the monsters were never dealt with in the game after Vaati inadvertently broken out of the chest Demise’s Hatred was probably still active.

I would assume the best story for Demise’s Hatred between Ocarina of Time and Minish Cap would be one where Link contends with both Demise’s Hatred and Vaati at the same time.

Since the incarnation of Demise’s Hatred and Malice is probably mindless at the time the Great Demon God of Winds Vaati could easily make use of it due his absorbing a chunk of Hylia’s Soul from Minish Cap Zelda.

The story would be especially interesting if Vaati tries to force Demise’s Hatred into Link turning him into Link-Ganon… Either that or the story would be considered too similar to KH:BBS.

I would like that as well…

I was huge into Zelda Theorizing before Hyrule Historia came out. I actually proposed throughout the years the idea of three timelines instead of two before Hyrule Historia came out, and was treated like a Flat-Earther for it (my primary theory was A Link to the Past was the original Child Timeline, but that the Triforce Wish at the end of A Link to the Past created a second Child Timeline that lead to Twilight Princess, with The Wind Waker and sequels as the Adult Timeline for a total of three). But then Hyrule Historia came out with three timelines based on many worlds theory that was even wonkier than the ones I came up with.

Nonetheless, back in 2011 over at zeldauniverse.net’s forums I was voted as “Best Theorist” and second place for “Most Knowledgeable of Zelda”: https://zeldauniverse.net/forums/Thread/137981-End-of-Year-Awards-2011-RESULTS/

But still, Hyrule Historia killed a lot of my motivation for Zelda Theorizing, since what fascinated me the most was the puzzle of how the games all fit together.

But a footnote at the bottom of page 10 of The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia rekindles my spirit every once in a while:

*Attentive readers may note that the timeline shown here differs slightly from the on found in Hyrule Historia.
    The timeline can be interpreted in a number of ways, and may change depending on new discoveries that have come to light and on the players' imaginations.

Officially sanctioned handcanons!

Now, eight years is a long time to try to get a foothold in the Zelda community again, but nonetheless, I do like to think of this stuff from time to time. So, for my own enjoyment, I present my current preferences on the Zelda Timeline:

Child Timeline Twilight Timeline Adult Timeline
Skyward Sword
Minish Cap
Cadence of Hyrule
Ocarina of Time
Majora’s Mask
Four Swords¹ "Divine Prank"¹
Four Swords Adventures²
Oracle of Ages³
Oracle of Seasons³
Link’s Awakening³
Soulcalibur II³
One Hundered Year Gap
A Link to the Past² Twilight Princess The Wind Waker
Link’s Crossbow Training Phantom Hourglass
A Link Between Worlds Hyrule Warriors
The Legend of Zelda Spirit Tracks
The Adventures of Link
Breath of the Wild⁴

¹The “Divine Prank” is a flashback (click here for spoilers for a almost thirteen year old game) in Twilight Princess where Ganondorf spontaneously gets the Triforce of Power. Hyrule Historia added to this on page 113:

[S]ince Link was able to warn Princess Zelda of the future, Ganondorf did not enter the Sacred Realm or lay his hands on the completed Triforce. Link returning from the future bearing the Triforce of Courage made it so Ganondorf was unable to consolidate the omnipotent power of the Triforce within himself.

But by coming back with the Triforce of Courage, Link triggered the “Divine Prank” that bestowed Ganondorf with the Triforce of Power and Zelda with the Triforce of Courage at the same moment that they would have been in parallel with Ganondorf touching the Triforce in the original timeline, which would now be the Adult Timeline.

Now, Hyrule Historia splits the timeline into two Adult Timelines (the Adult Timeine and the Decline Timeline) following a many worlds theory structure where Link died fighting Ganondorf in the final battle in Ocarina of Time which lead to the Decline Timeline, and Link winning the final battle which lead to the Adult Timeline (and the Child Timeline). I instead prefer a different many worlds angle where there is only one Adult Timeline (the one where Link wins) and two Child Timelines. One Child Timeline that leads to Twilight Princess. And another Child Timeline that leads to A Link to the Past. The difference here being that whether Link’s warning about Ganondorf is believed upon being sent back into the past, or not.

If Link is believed, Ganondorf is captured and the Divine Prank happens as per Twilight Princess.

If Link is not believed, Ganondorf is left free, but cannot get into the Sacred Realm because Link does not draw The Master Sword, and so Ganondorf has to find an alternative means to achieve his goals.

While Ganondorf is off trying to rework his plans, I place Four Swords here after Majora’s Mask, specifically the Four Swords Anniversary Edition which adds the Realm of Memories, which appears to be a temple in a Lost Woods area from which different times can be accessed and which is housing The Master Sword. The Temple of Time, if you would. And here I interpret the Divine Prank happening as well, not from any specific text, but from the animation that occurs when the Realm of Memories appears:

The Realm of Memories looking like a ruined version of the Temple of Time and being in the Lost Woods instead of in Hyrule Castle Town could also be an effect of the “Divine Prank,” the release of energy from which potentially displacing and crumbling the Temple of Time, helping explain its location and state in Twilight Princess as well if the “Divine Prank” happens in both Child Timelines.

²Four Swords Adventures I place immediately next, and I fully believe Four Swords Adventures works as A Link to the Past’s backstory as the Imprisoning War. The Shrine Maidens work as the Sages, and though it appears as if Ganon gets trapped in the Four Sword, I rather believe the Four Sword is merely being used to reinforce Zelda and the Shrine Maidens’ sealing magic that would lock Ganon in the Dark World, the Four Sword merely being used as a key to the lock like The Master Sword was also used as. Which I support with the Palace of the Four Sword as found in Pyramid of Power in A Link to the Past & Four Swords. This also helps consolidate all appearances of Ganon using his Trident (which I believe is Ghirahim) on one timeline.

³Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Link’s Awakening I jam all in here on the Child Timeline because, if we go by similar rules to Blizzard of one catastrophic event per year, we would get a full seven years of Link’s adventures and have gotten to see Link’s life that he missed out on from being put to sleep for those same seven years on the Adult Timeline when he picked up The Master Sword. I also place Oracle of Ages before Oracle of Seasons because this way the trading sequence in Oracle of Seasons would have The Master Sword properly be in the Lost Woods (and my preference being Link’s Awakening happening after the Oracle games instead of before them). This also helps provide more connections to various things dreamt up in Link’s Awakening to all have been experience by a single Link, most notably the Ballad of the Wind Fish in Majora’s Mask. (This also creates a contrast to the Hero’s Spirit in Twilight Princess who did not get to go on these adventures and had regrets from never being recognized as a hero.)

⁴And finally, my preference for Breath of the Wild would be on the Adult Timeline because of the references to Ruto as a Sage found on the Zora Stone Monuments in the Lanayru Great Spring region in Breath of the Wild, as well as because it was the Great Deku Tree’s goal in Wind Waker to reverse the flooding of Hyrule with Koroks planting seeds (and man are there a lot of Korok Seeds in Breath of the Wild), and the general trend of technological advancement we saw from Wind Waker to Phantom Hourglass to Spirit Tracks.

3 Likes

If they dare. Let them go ahead and show themselves to be the kind of monsters that lock threads full of kitten videos.

Edit: Incidentally, it’s someone else’s turn. Me bumping it again after being the last poster probably counts as spam, and wouldn’t help against getting it locked.

6 Likes

I’d post but I’m trying to be a good poster and not get banned since that tends to end the loophole of getting to post after unsubbing.

Did they delete the Christie Golden thread? I was embarrassingly proud of my Fall of the Lich Knaak post ;_;

2 Likes

It looks like they did. I’m sad for your post, but I also find it funny they take that one down, but not the one with the title specifically asking to be taken down, lol.

4 Likes

The Famous Song of Unhealing done on a Piano rather than simply reversing the Song of Healing… Reversing it(by using both the YouTube to MP3 Converter and Audacity) creates something even creepier than the usual Song of Unhealing did you know…

Anyone with a YouTube Channel to post the creepy result I mentioned?